***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,879,286 Views | 67467 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Mathguy64
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tjack16 said:

Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

The amount of overreaction on here is just nuts honestly

Getting swept in your home opener and blown out in your first road game will do that. The schedule doesn't get easier moving forward so it's going to be a rough April. My hope is the team gets hot but it's not out of the realm of possibility that this ends up being a rough season just based on the eye test and recent home struggles

I still think we make the playoffs but as a wild card

Except everyone was saying the Jays series was going to tell us what type of team they are. So one game after and it's back to doom and gloom.

Everyone needs to look at the games between the tough series in April, and then look at the schedule in May, June, and even July, and then relax.

The blue jays series + this past game did tell us a lot. It showed that our offense can blow anybody out and then is just as likely to get shutdown by anybody.

2-2, where both wins were blowouts… and then in both losses our offense no showed. The blue jays serjes and last night showed that we are an inconsistent team.

Sure. 10 out of the remaining 22 games in April are against Tex and Atlanta. Not great, but outside of those 10 games, look at the schedule through July.

As texasaggie2015 said, there is a ton of overblown overreaction going on right now.
tjack16
AG
Overreaction would be season is over… I said we are a wild card team.
West Roxbury
Rangers are good and relatively young and have some more talent in the pipeline. They should have a nice, long run. While the days of bullying them around are over, we can do very well against them and the division during our remaining window. We just need to be smart, efficient and have better pitching overall.

I'm not sure if we re-sign Bregman. We will see. We need an infusion of young talent in the minors and have some good bounces go our way.
texasaggie2015
AG

Lots of teams inquired on him last deadline (Houston included) but the word around baseball was his medicals weren't good. Hate this for him after a really good start to the year.
Beat40
tjack16 said:

Overreaction would be season is over… I said we are a wild card team.

Sure. I didn't specifically mean you, I meant the thread in general.
Marvin
AG
I don't think it's an overreaction to say that Bregman has sucked his entire career early in the season. HIs career splits show abysmal production prior to May for a $30 million player. Worst period of performance in terms of RBI, homers, average, slugging, OPS, GIDP, and even caught stealing- and 2,200 plate appearances is not a small sample size. He is a giant pile of dog**** until the second half, when his career OPS jumps 90 points higher. Is Espada really going to ride with Bregman in the 4-hole until his noodle bat stiffens up in late July?

These are stark facts, not emotion. Drop him behind Diaz and maybe even McCormick until he hits his stride.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
htxag09
AG
Not sure why it's so hard to post instagram reels on Texags (or I'm just old and dumb). But pretty funny video of where judge was during the earthquake….on the throne

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5ZQxKDyxu-/?igsh=eGRieGkwMW5rYTU1
RED AG 98
AG
Ay dios mio! Ol' boy has to retire now right?

redline248
AG
I don't understand why this is a thing that repeats every single year. There is no logical reason why a player should only be good for a few months, and not good in the other month over and over.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

I don't understand why this is a thing that repeats every single year. There is no logical reason why a player should only be good for a few months, and not good in the other month over and over.
At the beginning of the season though, it makes you think his off-season routine sucks. You see it all the time in football. You have the Jerry Rices of the world running up that damn hill in Mississippi during the summer, who gets to the season and practices and games seem like a vacation. Then you have guys like ex-Oilers Sean Jones and Doug Smith who would claim they were retiring every August to avoid training camp.

Up until 2022, Bregman posted a few videos of his off-season workouts on YouTube, but most of the videos were him promoting Salsa and doing his top 5 whatever.

His first 3 full years (17-19), he looked like we had someone along the lines of a Scott Rolen / Evan Longoria / David Wright on our hands - fiery, consistent, really high performing. He was our best offensive player by the end of 2019 and his 2018/2019 are among the best back-to-back seasons by any Astros ever.

The cheating scandal broke, the season got cut from 162 to 60 games, and he's been well below his previous production ever since in every single category. His OPS was back to .820 and .804 the last 2 seasons, but in 18-19 it was .926 and 1.015. At the end of 2019, I think we all figured he'd be a perennial All-Star and MVP candidate. Neither of those has been true four seasons running.

I don't have any empirical evidence that his off-season routine is lacking. He has been healthy the last 2 years and his numbers have been strong, but he's dropped off from the player he was at 23-25 for no good reason, and that is really frustrating.

Heineken-Ashi
West Roxbury said:

Rangers are good and relatively young and have some more talent in the pipeline. They should have a nice, long run. While the days of bullying them around are over, we can do very well against them and the division during our remaining window. We just need to be smart, efficient and have better pitching overall.

I'm not sure if we re-sign Bregman. We will see. We need an infusion of young talent in the minors and have some good bounces go our way.
On one hand, I absolutely don't want to resign Bregman for anything more than half of what's he making. I think his best days are behind him, and not even sure he will be worth that as he continues to age and lose power. But he has an elite eye at the plate, something that does age well, and over the course of seasons will most likely lead the team in OBP. But he can't be relied upon in pressure situations. A lot of his RBI's come when the pressure is off. His hard hit rate is not conducive of someone you want to rely on to drive in runs. He is still an elite glove though. He has tools that you want and NEED moving forward, but his early season faceplants make you question if you are willing to spend a lot of money for those tools.

I think the one thing that has me leaning toward resigning him is that we have nobody to replace him with in the system, and its most likely that the FA market won't have anyone semi-affordable that can match his tools or overcome the loss of them with better other tools.

But I have a personal theory that Bregman's leadership style just isn't working. This is essentially his and Altuve's team. They are the old men of the franchise. And with such a heavy latin presence, I'm just not sure how big of a stick Bregman carries in the clubhouse. And Altuve is a lead by example guy. If anything, the last couple of years point to the team adopting Bregman's more subdued and relaxed personality. I don't see the fire in him anymore. And I definitely don't see much fire in the team. Diaz is the one who is shaping up to be a real team leader in the future. Guys seem to respond to him. But it's too early to tell.

Now Tucker.. not only do we not have MVP, team leading RBI potential anywhere else in the system, but you aren't finding that in the FA market without paying A LOT. So we need to pay Tucker and lock him up. Plain and simple. Chaz, Meyers, and whatever mid round draft picks we have in the system do not make up a championship outfield.

"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
f1ghtintexasaggie
Marvin said:

I don't think it's an overreaction to say that Bregman has sucked his entire career early in the season. HIs career splits show abysmal production prior to May for a $30 million player. Worst period of performance in terms of RBI, homers, average, slugging, OPS, GIDP, and even caught stealing- and 2,200 plate appearances is not a small sample size. He is a giant pile of dog**** until the second half, when his career OPS jumps 90 points higher. Is Espada really going to ride with Bregman in the 4-hole until his noodle bat stiffens up in late July?

These are stark facts, not emotion. Drop him behind Diaz and maybe even McCormick until he hits his stride.

And you also have to account for the fact that he has been one of the most protected players in an MLB lineup hitting behind Altuve and in front of Tucker and Alvarez. Does his production drop off even more if he's moved into the latter half of the lineup? I'm not against trying it. He's not a cleanup hitter in the early part of the year, and you just gotta kinda hope he gets hot later in the year to make up for his ******** early months. His slow starts are the primary reason he should not get paid as much as Boras will demand, at least by us. Outside of '19, he is not a $30M player.
tjack16
AG
So random question. Why didn't we wear the gold uniforms more than just the two times opening weekend last year?

The nationals wore them all the time in 2020, royals did too and the Rangers this year have games throughout the year they'll wear them. Why did we only wear them the first two last year?
Beau Holder
AG
Acting like they've been there maybe?
tjack16
AG
Beau Holder said:

Acting like they've been there maybe?

I wanted to wear them against the Yankees and Phillies at home
Mathguy64
AG
The Arlingtonians have so little gold on theirs they figure it will take 80 games to notice.
W
AG
it will be interesting to see what happens with Bregman

right now the Astros are being stung by bad contracts...Abreu, Montero, LMj, and a couple of other shaky ones

these contracts hurt

and will impact the offer or effort to resign Bregman
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The Arlingtonians have so little gold on theirs they figure it will take 80 games to notice.

Yeah but even in 2018 we only wore them for the first 3 home games. If you're gonna hype up the gold so much, wear it throughout the season on special nights. I always thought last year the Saturday home games were a perfect night for them.
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yeah but even in 2018 we only wore them for the first 3 home games. If you're gonna hype up the gold so much, wear it throughout the season on special nights. I always thought last year the Saturday home games were a perfect night for them.

To me they are a special deal. Opening day when you raise the banner special. Maybe the next day when rings are passed out. That's it.
Marvin
AG
Well, most teams in every sport understand that the new season means a new champion- whether the same team wins or not.

You'll have to forgive the Rangerettes since they've never been there before.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

To me they are a special deal. Opening day when you raise the banner special. Maybe the next day when rings are passed out. That's it.

I guess. I'd be fine with us having worn them a few more times though.

On a side note I think one of my favorite moments last year was the fact that Joe Kelly had a front and center view of our banner/ring day. Then we hung a loss on him that weekend
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Looks like Gray starting for the Arlington d bags. His era is a robust 12.27 (small sample size obviously). So he'll throw 8 shutout innings with about 18Ks
TRM
AG
htxag09 said:

Not sure why it's so hard to post instagram reels on Texags (or I'm just old and dumb). But pretty funny video of where judge was during the earthquake….on the throne

https://instagr.am/p/C5ZQxKDyxu-
FIFY
n_touch
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I guess. I'd be fine with us having worn them a few more times though.

On a side note I think one of my favorite moments last year was the fact that Joe Kelly had a front and center view of our banner/ring day. Then we hung a loss on him that weekend

Let them roll with them all year.
W
AG
that's a big loss for the Yankees' bullpen
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
W said:

that's a big loss for the Yankees' bullpen

Yeah really stinks for Loaisiga.
linkdude
AG
food for thought
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Got dfa'd 4 days ago
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Post removed:
by user
cc10106
I wonder if Jordan Montgomery's kicking himself right now.
First Page Last Page
Page 131 of 1928

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.