***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,883,959 Views | 67478 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by JDUB08AG
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
iBrad said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Mathguy64 said:

While I want to agree, Pena in April and early May of last year was not the same Pena the rest of the season. I think there was an injury. Others have fairly stated they think his swing was jacked. Certainly the off season work suggests it was mechanical. But I want to see something a bit more long term to have confidence I know what the real Pena is going to turn into.

I suspect the coaches and nerds can tell a lot faster than I can.

To me Diaz is the real wildcard you want to bet big on early. Even more than Pena.

If he plays those 7 games in the ALCS we win WS#3. Dustied.
Strongly disagree here. I've been seeing this a lot. Diaz wasn't great in the postseason- and frankly the bigger issues were Tucker's slump and the inability to win a home game. Also Framber and Javier running out of gas in the last two games. Games 6 and 7 weren't close and Diaz wouldn't have made a difference honestly.

Should he have been in the lineup more? Absolutely. Would they have won the series if he was? Probably not.

If he had been given consistent playing time and started games 1 and 2, there might not have been games 6 and 7. He had a .941 OPS in September and was largely benched in the postseason.
We will never know.

It's like 2019 all over again. Maybe Grienke could hold on, maybe Cole shuts them down, or maybe they both get lit up.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

iBrad said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Mathguy64 said:

While I want to agree, Pena in April and early May of last year was not the same Pena the rest of the season. I think there was an injury. Others have fairly stated they think his swing was jacked. Certainly the off season work suggests it was mechanical. But I want to see something a bit more long term to have confidence I know what the real Pena is going to turn into.

To me Diaz is the real wildcard you want to bet big on early. Even more than Pena.

Strongly disagree here. I've been seeing this a lot. Diaz wasn't great in the postseason- and frankly the bigger issues were Tucker's slump and the inability to win a home game. Also Framber and Javier running out of gas in the last two games. Games 6 and 7 weren't close and Diaz wouldn't have made a difference honestly.

Should he have been in the lineup more? Absolutely. Would they have won the series if he was? Probably not.

If he had been given consistent playing time and started games 1 and 2, there might not have been games 6 and 7. He had a .941 OPS in September and was largely benched in the postseason.
We will never know.

It's like 2019 all over again. Maybe Grienke could hold on, maybe Cole shuts them down, or maybe they both get lit up.

Yep. Also how would 2020 have gone if Yordan and JV hadn't gotten hurt and missed the season+postseason
tjack16
AG
Astros what if moments from this run

2018: what if we traded for Harper
2019: what if Cole came in game 7 with a lead
2020: what if JV and Yordan were healthy
2021: what if JV was healthy and McCullers pitched in the World Series
2022: n/a
2023: what if Diaz started the full season over Maldonado

Honorable mention: what if we retained Lunhow and Hinch after their suspensions
cc10106
I think that a healthy McCullers would have been enough to beat the Braves. We were close to flipping that series on the road as it was.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Astros what if moments from this run

2018: what if we traded for Harper
2019: what if Cole came in game 7 with a lead
2020: what if JV and Yordan were healthy
2021: what if JV was healthy and McCullers pitched in the World Series
2022: n/a
2023: what if Diaz started the full season over Maldonado

Honorable mention: what if we retained Lunhow and Hinch after their suspensions
We're on one of the greatest runs in baseball history yet somehow it might have been even better.
Farmer1906
AG
cc10106 said:

I think that a healthy McCullers would have been enough to beat the Braves. We were close to flipping that series on the road as it was.
The way he was throwing that year and that postseason... you may be right.

Regualr Season
3.16 ERA (12th)
3.37 xERA (13th)
3.52 FIP (18th)
3.69 xFIP (21st)

Postseason
0.84 ERA
3.83 FIP
3.43 xFIP
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906
AG
htxag09
AG
More than 3 outs? I'd take 3 outs with no runs…
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Proudag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I'd be ecstatic to have a closer we could rely on for only 3 outs.
AgRyan04
All I do is Nguyen said:

No idea, but I'd like to think they limit it to one simply for time's sake

Just have the machine call all the balls/strikes.....should not be a limitation on players getting the right call made
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All I do is Nguyen
Lisan AlTuve!

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG

So, if Diaz is out of options, does that mean he has to go on the major league roster? If so, who comes off?
AgSportsFan89
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

So, if Diaz is out of options, does that mean he has to go on the major league roster? If so, who comes off?

I mean, I think he has to, right? Maybe Mushinski goes down since he has options still?
Farmer1906
AG

Strike Hard
Strike First
No Mercy
AustinCountyAg
AgSportsFan89 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I mean, I think he has to, right? Maybe Mushinski goes down since he has options still?
yes, if out of options you have to be added to the big club. If he was already here on the big league roster and out of options and wanted to be sent down he'd have to be placed on waivers first...and then accept the assignment.
spadilly
S

Off days…

All I do is Nguyen
I was just coming here to ask where Spadilly was since we are off today
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Faustus
Pena is amongst the league leaders in many hitting categories, which is fantastic.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB-leaders.shtml

But along with his improved contact numbers, he's had a lot of opportunities with men on base. That's led him to leading the league in grounding into double plays - at 4 through 7 games. That puts him on pace for more than 90. Correa led the league last year with 30.

Hopefully that cools off a little.
Furlock Bones
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I was just coming here to ask where Spadilly was since we are off today
Discuss Abreu's pathetic bat speed.
Wabs
AG
Hinch's Tigers are now 5-0
AgLA06
AG
tjack16 said:

Thanks Dusty!
bearkatag15
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Perfect!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Can we get Nike to add bubble wrap to the pitcher's uniforms? Holy crap...
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

iBrad said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Mathguy64 said:

We will never know.

Seriously, being so enamored with stats that you think you know what would have happened in silly.
In 1984, we all thought Dickie Thon was going to the HOF.
Going into the playoffs last year, we all thought Tucker would crush the Rangers, and instead he batted like .188.
The Porkchop Express
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I need this guy in the majors ASAP for all my General Hummel gifs.

W
AG
looking ahead to next Monday in Arlington...

is the eclipse the reason the Rangers did not give the Astros the customary getaway day afternoon start?

(granted it's not a long flight to Kansas City)
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

looking ahead to next Monday in Arlington...

is the eclipse the reason the Rangers did not give the Astros the customary getaway day afternoon start?

(granted it's not a long flight to Kansas City)
If you have to ask you already know the answer.
First Page Last Page
Page 117 of 1929

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.