***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,886,534 Views | 67482 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Mr.Bond
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

Is Espada overmanaging or is he the oppo of Dusty and is managing completely by analytics?

I think the fact he left Blanco in for all 9 was clear he's not just doing everything the book tells him to.

But don't we want a manager that aligns with "the book" a very high % of the time?

I wasn't complaining. Just making an observation. I think it's funny we have calls for Espada to shake up the lineup when under Dusty there were complaints that he never had the same lineup day to day. I think Joe is doing fine. The guys have to execute.

And I think with Blanco, the book says let the kid get his no-hitter with a 10 run lead.
Not in today's analytics.

Don't let them face a pitcher for the 3rd and 4th time.
Don't run the PC high, especially when he hasn't been fully stretched out in April.
3B Paul 97
AG
Pirates and Tigers are the only undefeated teams right now?
spadilly
S
There have been countless pitchers taken out in the 6th inning or so with a no hitter in the first few weeks of seasons past.
I was very pleased to see Espada let him go the whole way.
spadilly
S
3B Paul 97 said:

Pirates and Tigers are the only undefeated teams right now?
Correct. And the Tigers get the winless Mets starting today tomorrow (with a double header).
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

Is Espada overmanaging or is he the oppo of Dusty and is managing completely by analytics?

I think the fact he left Blanco in for all 9 was clear he's not just doing everything the book tells him to.

But don't we want a manager that aligns with "the book" a very high % of the time?

I wasn't complaining. Just making an observation. I think it's funny we have calls for Espada to shake up the lineup when under Dusty there were complaints that he never had the same lineup day to day. I think Joe is doing fine. The guys have to execute.

And I think with Blanco, the book says let the kid get his no-hitter with a 10 run lead.

Don't run the PC high, especially when he hasn't been fully stretched out in April.

The Book of No-Hitters involves no analytics other than "does he have enough gas in the tank to finish it".
Not quite.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pitchers-removed-during-a-no-hitter

Quote:

. So after Severino struck out Nathaniel Lowe to end the seventh inning, having thrown 94 pitches, manager Aaron Boone intercepted him in the dugout. "I can't let you do it," Boone told Severino, who refused to make eye contact with his manager. Boone took Severino out of the game for the eighth, and reliever Miguel Castro promptly allowed a single to Josh Jung to break up the no-hitter.

"I was trying to fight [Boone], but you can't do anything about it," Severino said after the game. "He asked me, 'What do you think?' I told him, 'I would die out there.'"

Quote:

Kershaw looked like his vintage self, absolutely dominating the Twins on an April afternoon. He induced 20 swings and misses, including 17 on his slider. He racked up 13 strikeouts, his 25th career game with at least 10 strikeouts and no walks. He was perfect through seven but yielded to the bullpen after 80 pitches in his first start of the season after a short Spring Training. Alex Vesia came in for the eighth and retired Jorge Polanco before allowing a single to Gary Snchez. After the game, Kershaw said it was "the right decision" for manager Dave Roberts to remove him.

80!!!

3B Paul 97
AG
It helps that we have tomorrow off to give Blanco an extra day of rest.
Farmer1906
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

It helps that we have tomorrow off to give Blanco an extra day of rest.
Espada explained he let him go because he had an extra day of rest coming into the game and the next start.

But that is kind of my point. Espada saw what was going on. He took into consideration who it was, what his personal situation is, what the bullpen situation is, and the score.
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
The biggest thing in Blanco's favor was his pitch count. If it's 95 in the 7th he's coming out. He was in the 80's starting the 9th.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

What do you consider a "high" PC? Didn't he finish the game with PC of 105?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Post removed:
by user
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

How often do guys start an inning with a PC higher than 90? Sure it happens, but its uncommon. Don't act like yall don't know how the game is played/managed now.
spadilly
S
EastCoastAgNc said:

The Space Cowboys play in Albuquerque next week, so I wonder if they would send him with the Hooks for their series in Frisco for his second start since it's closer.
Farmer1906
AG
spadilly said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

The Space Cowboys play in Albuquerque next week, so I wonder if they would send him with the Hooks for their series in Frisco for his second start since it's closer.
I would think so. I think Chandler or someone else mentioned it previously.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

How often do guys start an inning with a PC higher than 90? Sure it happens, but its uncommon. Don't act like yall don't know how the game is played/managed now.
How often do they start a pitch count over 90 in a meaningless 7th or 8th inning in a mid-season series with a rested bullpen? Or how often do they start the 9th inning of a no hitter with a pitch count of 91 with a tired bullpen, a 10 run lead, and an extra day of rest coming before his next start? Don't pretend that you don't understand that sometimes how the game is played goes beyond raw numbers.
Farmer1906
AG
So what you're saying is a manager should ignore the normal practice of pulling guys and take into other things, like a no hitter for a swing starter. Exactly what I complimented Espada for doing? The analytics don't care about personal achievements.
tjack16
AG
Did anybody ever hear the rationale behind pulling Framber with 2 outs in the 8th and 85 pitches instead of letting him finish the inning?

And I swear if it's something stupid like lefty/righty I'll be annoyed
ttha_aggie_09
AG
It looked like he was just losing his command and just walked a guy, if I remember correctly. I am not at all mad with the move. Pressly did his job
tjack16
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

It looked like he was just losing his command and just walked a guy, if I remember correctly. I am not at all mad with the move. Pressly did his job

When a poster said Pressly was warming I was hoping it would be Framber finished the 8th and Pressly got the 9th for a 3 out save
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Don't disagree
Farmer1906
AG
Probably had a lot to do with seeing Framber for the 3rd time and having George being right handed.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So what you're saying is a manager should ignore the normal practice of pulling guys and take into other things, like a no hitter for a swing starter. Exactly what I complimented Espada for doing? The analytics don't care about personal achievements.
I think I misunderstood your back and forth with Bregxit because I took your "Don't we want a manager who goes by the book a high percentage of the time" and "Book says don't run the pitch count high when he hasn't been fully stretched out in April" to mean you thought letting him finish was the wrong choice. I want a manager that will ignore the book/analytics in situations where there is a meaningful reason they can articulate to go another way (like a going for a no-hitter with a 10 run lead and a lowish pitch count). Dusty rarely had a meaningful argument for why he ignored the numbers and usually only used them to back up something when he turned out to randomly make the right move.
Farmer1906
AG
txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I think I misunderstood your back and forth with Bregxit because I took your "Don't we want a manager who goes by the book a high percentage of the time" and "Book says don't run the pitch count high when he hasn't been fully stretched out in April" to mean you thought letting him finish was the wrong choice. I want a manager that will ignore the book/analytics in situations where there is a meaningful reason they can articulate to go another way (like a going for a no-hitter with a 10 run lead and a lowish pitch count). Dusty rarely had a meaningful argument for why he ignored the numbers and usually only used them to back up something when he turned out to randomly make the right move.
I am saying the book/analytics says to pull Blanco.

I am glad we didn't regardless of the no-hitter outcome.

I want a manager who will manage based on what the #s tell him to do a lot of the time. I think Joe will do that. But the #s aren't perfect and don't capture everything. I think leaving Blanco in is the perfect example of that.

I think we're on the same page here.

W
AG
linkdude said:

had a feeling Meyers would be on the bench today

Singleton gets his 2nd start of the week
All I do is Nguyen
I swear to god if Hader is injured and hiding it like Abreu last year I'm gonna be pissed at Dana

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Probably had a lot to do with seeing Framber for the 3rd time and having George being right handed.

I would have rather Framber finished the inning and then Pressly gets the clean 9th. Hader has already been overused going 4 of 6 games so was hoping he'd get an extra night off
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I am saying the book/analytics says to pull Blanco.

I am glad we didn't regardless of the no-hitter outcome.

I want a manager who will manage based on what the #s tell him to do a lot of the time. I think Joe will do that. But the #s aren't perfect and don't capture everything. I think leaving Blanco in is the perfect example of that.

I think we're on the same page here.

Agreed.
Mr.Bond
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I swear to god if Hader is injured and hiding it like Abreu last year I'm gonna be pissed at Dana

I'm gonna guess he's just not in game shape yet
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

k20dub
AG
Can you look up his pitch speed from last year's games in April?
agdaddy04
AG
Are we just rubber stamping physicals or not doing them at all?
linkdude
AG
Wow. DBacks used up their entire bench and were forced to bat a relief pitcher down one run, with the bases loaded and 2 outs in extra innings... the pitcher K'd to end the ballgame. I can only imagine the Texags reaction if that ever happens to Espada.
Beau Holder
AG
Geraldo Perdomo pulling a hammy rounding 1st is what caused the shuttle that led to that. Real unfortunate because I wanted the Dbacks to pull that one out.
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 1929

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.