***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,889,375 Views | 67489 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by agproducer
cc10106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tjack16 said:

Beau Holder said:

Maybe he's a SARM goblin.

To contribute to getting back on topic, I petition to wear Space City every day for now.

Space city is our best uniform besides the orange tops/gray pants on the road IMO
I'm probably in the minority, but the all-gray uniforms are my favorite. Navy and orange is such a great combo, but it pops more for me with the gray. Plus we tend to win in them.

Honestly the Astros don't have a bad uniform combo.

I've slowed down buying gear lately, but this reminds me that I still need an orange jersey.
TarponChaser
AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

TarponChaser said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

This has to be an edited photo right?

Nah, not necessarily edited. Trap growth can be seen as a PED sign but there's nothing there to me that seems out of the ordinary for somebody who lifts a lot. It's more that huge melon on top of his neck. And the hot-headed, hair-trigger temper.

Seems like a few guys started lifting during Covid and when PED testing was nonexistent… perhaps it was the chicken and rice and push-ups?

Maybe. But in this picture, Garcia is kind of flexing so I'd expect the traps to be exaggerated.

It's the change in his dome from that Cardinals pic vs. now that's the red flag to me.

His physique is also significantly larger. This isn't just a normal workout transformation from lifting weights natural. Look at Bonds, Sosa, McGwire and they somehow all developed that kind of muscular build

He's definitely not natty, and the muscular development, head size, and roid rage all point in that direction.

The muscular development doesn't raise a red flag to me. Even doing so in his late-20's. He's an elite athlete and getting to the majors has access to the help from trainers and nutritionists who can help with that growth. He's listed at 6'1" 205 but that's from when he was first signed. He's probably close to 230 right now and I haven't noticed that he did that in one off-season like Bonds.

It's well known that the late-20's are when your testosterone levels peak and are able to slab on muscle with the proper workout so the physique isn't what raises a red flag. An athlete should be able to do that. Like I said, it's the head (characteristic of HGH use) and temper. Most players with the means these days aren't using old school anabolic steroids like Winstrol, Decabol, Dianabol, etc- they're using HGH. Probably doing straight-up testosterone too.

If elite athletes are so easily able to achieve roughly Barry Bonds peak steroid use physiques due to natural testosterone levels in their late 20s and working out, why is it that the vast majority of major league players have nowhere near the size of Garcia?

Because it's not just chicken and rice and Garcia isn't just built different than his elite athletic peers

Natural testosterone levels in late 20s isn't magic. Exogenous androgens are required to overcome a natural limit and dramatically change your body and face over that short of a period

First, with Barry Bonds, he was in his 30's when he suddenly changed his physique.

As for MLB players, lots aren't as cut, but the vast majority of players I've been around are jacked like Garcia. It can be disguised a bit based on how they wear their uniforms but the last I've seen is that, according to rosters the average MLB position player is 6'2" 210#. And I can promise you they don't update Ht/Wt numbers after a player is signed in the vast majority of cases- for example, Kyle Tucker is listed at 6'4" 199 and he's 220. Bregman is listed as 6'0' 192 and he's close to 210.

But like I said, I think Garcia is on something but it's not old school steroids. His physique below the neck doesn't give off the red flags. It's probably HGH which is what causes the dome growth.

The difference between 20s and 30s testosterone levels isn't significant. If you're a newbie, you can make a great transformation in either period but with each passing year you'll get greatly diminished returns and won't be able to put on more than a few pounds at most of lean body mass if your programming, diet, consistency is optimal

If you are an elite athlete, you've been working out since high school age or even sooner. Garcia is 31 and showed a major transformation from age 27.

By age 27 he's already had well over a decade of workout progress in the gym. Natural lifters will not be putting on "slabs of muscle" in their late 20s unless they are new to the gym or on steroids.

And the shape of his development has changed, the development has favored the traps, neck, and shoulders which is a tell tale sign. They are exaggerated proportions you would not expect naturally. He's very lean and his muscles are popping out, you cannot claim that Tucker is a good counter example merely based on height and weight.

I'll reiterate what I've said...

...I think he's on something (or was) but his physique alone doesn't give that impression. It's the dome growth and volatility.

You cannot separate the two. We know what he looked like at 27, and it's clearly a big change to the look of his body after he had already been lifting for well over a decade.

You are assuming that he wasn't lifting prior to 27 and that adding 30+ lbs of lean body mass in late 20s is somehow normal but that is only if you have not lifted consistently.

Are you just being pedantic or what?

I've said that I think he's on something or was.

You said that his physique wasn't suspect. I'm not being pedantic.

It's not.

Now the rapid growth/change of said physique could be but just being built like he is, is not a red flag.
Texas A&M
Texas A&M said:

A fun watch....

All I do is Nguyen
Can someone please explain how Turner's "hit" in the first inning, that should have been a double play but wasn't because Abreu dropped the throw, didn't count as a hit? I know TK said it was ruled a fielder's choice and not an error, but how does that negate the fact that Turner reached base safely after he hit the ball in the infield.

TIA
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Can someone please explain how Turner's "hit" in the first inning, that should have been a double play but wasn't because Abreu dropped the throw, didn't count as a hit? I know TK said it was ruled a fielder's choice and not an error, but how does that negate the fact that Turner reached base safely after he hit the ball in the infield.

TIA
Fielder's choice means the fielder elected to get someone else out instead of the batter. The out was recorded at 2nd.
TarponChaser
All I do is Nguyen said:

TIA
You never assume the double play.

Had the throw from Altuve to Abreu just not been in time, Turner would have been safe as a FC. The assumption is that, had the fielder made the throw to 1st Turner would have been out. So he doesn't get credit for a hit because the defense made the effort at the double play. It's roughly analogous to reaching via error. Like had Bregman bobbled that ball and not made any play it would have been marked for Turner as ROE and the baserunner heading to second just advances on the same error.
The Porkchop Express
AG
You know, I once had a sociology professor at A&M who told us that his own class had done an experiment on him where they only paid attention to him when he lectured from one side of the classroom, but never the other, which led him to subconsciously go to that one side of the classroom the whole semester. They told him about it a few weeks before the term was up.

I say this only because it could be a fun thing, especially on off-days, to drive the conversation on the other thread with infuriating narratives like this one about El Cabezo Grande, by making up and intensely debating some false narratives.

A few examples to kick around

Rusty Greer got both Bush twins pregnant and was blackballed from the Ranger Hall of Fame as a result
Nolan Ryan felt so bad about beating up Robin Ventura that he started a passionate love affair with him later that year
A random Ranger, let's say Elvis Andrus, brought COVID into Texas in 2020.
Josh Jung's grandfather was exposed as a Communist by Joseph McCarthy

And so on.
LC Wannabe
S
tjack16 said:

Did anybody else last night think there was some poetry in the fact that it was almost George that was the final out?

He's my favorite former Astro from this run but I actually had the thought of how crazy would it be if he was the final out
I had a feeling that Biggio was going to break it up. I thought about the scene in "For Love of the Game" when Augie tells the kid whose dad played with Costner to "wreck it".

Thank God he smoked it to our best defender.
W
AG
D-Train is one of those pitchers that threw a lot of innings at a young age

and it was too much for his arm -- he needed workload management
Beau Holder
AG
I'm not a fan of piping cutting under words on any jersey. I think it's passable on our home ones with the orange piping, but looks noticeably worse on the road ones with the navy. Even though I love the HOUSTON wordmark itself.
tjack16
AG
cc10106 said:

tjack16 said:

Beau Holder said:

To contribute to getting back on topic, I petition to wear Space City every day for now.

Space city is our best uniform besides the orange tops/gray pants on the road IMO
I'm probably in the minority, but the all-gray uniforms are my favorite. Navy and orange is such a great combo, but it pops more for me with the gray. Plus we tend to win in them.

I've slowed down buying gear lately, but this reminds me that I still need an orange jersey.

Im a sucker for gray baseball uniforms in general. Don't know why I just love them. Our grays are awesome and I love how they say Houston on them. Those with the navy caps with orange bill were my favorite.
W
AG
Jose Berrios on the mound for the Blue Jays tonight

he had a good outing on opening day

we'll see if he watched the tape of the Yankees series and stays away. Last night's starter came inside a bunch to his regret
All I do is Nguyen
I get that, but how does it still not count as a hit? If anything I thought it would be an E on the first baseman, but it still confuses me on how it wasn't ruled a hit, even though the FC went 2nd to 1st
No matter what!
Red Five
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I get that, but how does it still not count as a hit? If anything I thought it would be an E on the first baseman, but it still confuses me on how it wasn't ruled a hit, even though the FC went 2nd to 1st
Because the rules say its not. Turner would have been out at first but the fielder elected to get the lead runner out at second instead. The error on the throw to first is irrelevant at that point. It's no different than if Altuve had held the ball instead of attempting to turn two.
AggieJ2002
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

If the fielder could throw to first and get you out it is not going to be ruled a hit, it will always be a fielders choice. Whatever else happens is irrelevant. In this case they got the out at 2nd, and while they should have gotten the double play, you can never assume a double play, thus no error was charged to Abreu.

Here is another example ... slow ground ball goes to third with a runner on first. Third baseman could easily throw to first and get the batter out, but chooses to go to 2nd. Runner at first has good speed and just beats the throw to 2nd and they also cannot get the batter at first because the batter is fast also. That is still a fielders choice with no outs recorded, no error, and no hit awarded either.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Jose Berrios on the mound for the Blue Jays tonight

he had a good outing on opening day

we'll see if he watched the tape of the Yankees series and stays away. Last night's starter came inside a bunch to his regret
Looks like we hit em no matter where they went.

wessimo
AG
tjack16 said:

cc10106 said:

tjack16 said:

Beau Holder said:

Im a sucker for gray baseball uniforms in general. Don't know why I just love them. Our grays are awesome and I love how they say Houston on them. Those with the navy caps with orange bill were my favorite.

Except the unis this year look like this. The lighter colors really show sweat.

astros4545
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

He didn't hit safely

Someone else got out on his hit before advancing one full base
All I do is Nguyen
Fair enough. If the rules say thats why then thats why. Doesn't need to make sense to me I guess lol
No matter what!
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

I'm not a fan of piping cutting under words on any jersey. I think it's passable on our home ones with the orange piping, but looks noticeably worse on the road ones with the navy. Even though I love the HOUSTON wordmark itself.
I feel like 95% of MLB unis have this.
TarponChaser
All I do is Nguyen said:

Fair enough. If the rules say thats why then thats why. Doesn't need to make sense to me I guess lol

It's because the ball he put into play is deemed to have not been good enough to earn a hit and the only reason he reached base is because the fielder chose to take the out at a different base.

Like I said, it's sort of like reaching via error. Had Bregman bobbled that ball and elected to go to first to try to get Turner instead of the lead runner but Turner beat it out due to Bregman not playing it cleanly he's also deemed to have not done enough to "earn" a hit.
Beau Holder
AG
And I have the same problem with all of them. It's why the Yankee roads and Dodger (and Cardinal) homes are elite unis, much as I hate the teams.

The Red Sox home piping works because the words don't cross the piping; their roads don't have it.

The Yankee roads actually got even more elite this year by taking the white outline off the lettering.
AggieJ2002
AG
While this case was clear cut, official scoring is definitely an art and not a science. I do a lot of the official scoring for our High School team, and every hitter's parent thinks every time they reach base it's a hit, and every pitcher's parent thinks its an error every time the ball is put in play off their kid. Sometimes it is a really tough call to decide what is a hit/error/fielder's choice
Farmer1906
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

While this case was clear cut, official scoring is definitely an art and not a science. I do a lot of the official scoring for our High School team, and every hitter's parent thinks every time they reach base it's a hit, and every pitcher's parent thinks its an error every time the ball is put in play off their kid. Sometimes it is a really tough call to decide what is a hit/error/fielder's choice
This drives me crazy in my daughter's league. Ground ball to the pitcher, she can't hit the first baseman. The batter goes all the way to 3rd. Her coach calls it a triple.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

AggieJ2002 said:

This drives me crazy in my daughter's league. Ground ball to the pitcher, she can't hit the first baseman. The batter goes all the way to 3rd. Her coach calls it a triple.

What age?

I don't care about that under about 8 or 9U. My youngest is 9 playing up in 10U because of his grade vs. age and got a solid base hit in his last game but the OF didn't field it cleanly and then made a bad throw so my kid ended up on 3rd. He said "I got a triple" and me being the a-hole said, "great hit kid but no, that was a single with 2 errors. And you got an RBI from it too."
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggieJ2002 said:

What age?

I don't care about that under about 8 or 9U. My youngest is 9 playing up in 10U because of his grade vs. age and got a solid base hit in his last game but the OF didn't field it cleanly and then made a bad throw so my kid ended up on 3rd. He said "I got a triple" and me being the a-hole said, "great hit kid but no, that was a single with 2 errors. And you got an RBI from it too."

8u

Congratulate them on a good hit, running hard, and listening to coaches. No need to label it a triple or a home run if they make it all the way around.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Fyi for those in Houston... Astros on the alternate tonight
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggieJ2002 said:

What age?

8u

Congratulate them on a good hit, running hard, and listening to coaches. No need to label it a triple or a home run if they make it all the way around.

Yeah, I'm kind of torn on that. I'm good with the kids celebrating it and coaches saying "great hit" or "good hustle" but I'm not sure the coaches should be playing into that. Eventually, at least in my experience, the kids will self-regulate so when a kid who ROE and then scored because the fielding team threw the ball all over tries to call it a "home run" the other kids will smack it down themselves. Usually by 9 or 10U from what I've seen.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

What would the result have been if there had been no runner on first? Was it a routine grounder that would have resulted in an out at first? If so, then no hit. Doesn't matter what the fielder did- missed it, threw it away, threw it to another base, whatever. It would either have been an error or fielder's choice, but in either case would have counted as an out in the hitting stats. The only reason he was safe at first was because the fielder chose to get an out elsewhere, otherwise it would have been the batter that was forced out.
AgSportsFan89
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

That's too bad. We were lighting him up
Wabs
AG
Tonight is the night Yordan and Breggy get going.
All I do is Nguyen
Okay last one

For today NSFW Language

No matter what!
iBrad
AG
Okay, I kind of liked that one.
AggiEE
TarponChaser said:

AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

AggiEE said:

TarponChaser said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

TarponChaser said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

This has to be an edited photo right?

Nah, not necessarily edited. Trap growth can be seen as a PED sign but there's nothing there to me that seems out of the ordinary for somebody who lifts a lot. It's more that huge melon on top of his neck. And the hot-headed, hair-trigger temper.

Seems like a few guys started lifting during Covid and when PED testing was nonexistent… perhaps it was the chicken and rice and push-ups?

Maybe. But in this picture, Garcia is kind of flexing so I'd expect the traps to be exaggerated.

It's the change in his dome from that Cardinals pic vs. now that's the red flag to me.

His physique is also significantly larger. This isn't just a normal workout transformation from lifting weights natural. Look at Bonds, Sosa, McGwire and they somehow all developed that kind of muscular build

He's definitely not natty, and the muscular development, head size, and roid rage all point in that direction.

The muscular development doesn't raise a red flag to me. Even doing so in his late-20's. He's an elite athlete and getting to the majors has access to the help from trainers and nutritionists who can help with that growth. He's listed at 6'1" 205 but that's from when he was first signed. He's probably close to 230 right now and I haven't noticed that he did that in one off-season like Bonds.

It's well known that the late-20's are when your testosterone levels peak and are able to slab on muscle with the proper workout so the physique isn't what raises a red flag. An athlete should be able to do that. Like I said, it's the head (characteristic of HGH use) and temper. Most players with the means these days aren't using old school anabolic steroids like Winstrol, Decabol, Dianabol, etc- they're using HGH. Probably doing straight-up testosterone too.

If elite athletes are so easily able to achieve roughly Barry Bonds peak steroid use physiques due to natural testosterone levels in their late 20s and working out, why is it that the vast majority of major league players have nowhere near the size of Garcia?

Because it's not just chicken and rice and Garcia isn't just built different than his elite athletic peers

Natural testosterone levels in late 20s isn't magic. Exogenous androgens are required to overcome a natural limit and dramatically change your body and face over that short of a period

First, with Barry Bonds, he was in his 30's when he suddenly changed his physique.

As for MLB players, lots aren't as cut, but the vast majority of players I've been around are jacked like Garcia. It can be disguised a bit based on how they wear their uniforms but the last I've seen is that, according to rosters the average MLB position player is 6'2" 210#. And I can promise you they don't update Ht/Wt numbers after a player is signed in the vast majority of cases- for example, Kyle Tucker is listed at 6'4" 199 and he's 220. Bregman is listed as 6'0' 192 and he's close to 210.

But like I said, I think Garcia is on something but it's not old school steroids. His physique below the neck doesn't give off the red flags. It's probably HGH which is what causes the dome growth.

The difference between 20s and 30s testosterone levels isn't significant. If you're a newbie, you can make a great transformation in either period but with each passing year you'll get greatly diminished returns and won't be able to put on more than a few pounds at most of lean body mass if your programming, diet, consistency is optimal

If you are an elite athlete, you've been working out since high school age or even sooner. Garcia is 31 and showed a major transformation from age 27.

By age 27 he's already had well over a decade of workout progress in the gym. Natural lifters will not be putting on "slabs of muscle" in their late 20s unless they are new to the gym or on steroids.

And the shape of his development has changed, the development has favored the traps, neck, and shoulders which is a tell tale sign. They are exaggerated proportions you would not expect naturally. He's very lean and his muscles are popping out, you cannot claim that Tucker is a good counter example merely based on height and weight.

I'll reiterate what I've said...

...I think he's on something (or was) but his physique alone doesn't give that impression. It's the dome growth and volatility.

You cannot separate the two. We know what he looked like at 27, and it's clearly a big change to the look of his body after he had already been lifting for well over a decade.

You are assuming that he wasn't lifting prior to 27 and that adding 30+ lbs of lean body mass in late 20s is somehow normal but that is only if you have not lifted consistently.

Are you just being pedantic or what?

I've said that I think he's on something or was.

You said that his physique wasn't suspect. I'm not being pedantic.

It's not.

Now the rapid growth/change of said physique could be but just being built like he is, is not a red flag.

It is. It's not simply the rate of change. He's well above the natural limit and the size/proportions are comical for his shoulders, trap and neck.

His official stats are 6'1 205 but he's likely 235 and lean.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/moreplatesmoredates/comments/17kdm6l/adolis_garcia_natty_or_not/
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 1929

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.