***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,761,390 Views | 34690 Replies | Last: 58 sec ago by TRM
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pitching Progress

K Rate is an issue on this team and, unfortunately, it has gotten worse this month.

But on the flip side, we're walking fewer & getting slightly softer contact at a lower LA.

Overall, our xwOBA has improved from Mar-May to June. Overall, we're 13th in xwOBA & 22nd in wOBA.Our June xwOBA would rank 11th overall (vs team's season xwOBA). Baby steps, but this is the right direction.

We're 7th "unluckiest" in xwOBA vs wOBA. Maybe some slight positive regression coming.

Batting Progress

It feels like the offense isn't where it needs to be. And we love to hate on our approach. Buuuut June has been our best overall month even with a tick down in walk rate. Overall, we're 9th in xwOBA & 6th in wOBA. Our June xwOBA would ranked tied in 3rd (vs teams' season xwOBA).

We're 5th "luckiest" in xwOBA vs wOBA. Maybe some slight negative regression coming.

You would think a top 10 offense with a top 20 pitching staff would not rank 24th overall in the standings. We can seem to lose too many close ones. There are 10 teams ahead of us with a worse run differential.
Heineken-Ashi
iBrad said:

cc10106 said:

I bet this guy is licking his chops right now:

For everyone who was strongly against Ausmus as manager, would you swap Espada for him right now?
I'd take Jimmy Williams right now, so yes.

I'm not sure there's a person who could have screwed up this team more than Espada. He's made every wrong decision.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
W
AG
it still seems like the Astros hitting numbers are heavily skewed -- based upon good opponent vs. bad

the 'stros have scored 88 runs in the 15 games vs. Angels, A's, and Rockies -- offense looks awesome

but then only 18 runs in 7 games vs. the Mariners

and recently only 9 runs in the 3-game series vs. the Twins
The Porkchop Express
Abreu sitting on 39 at-bats since his return not in the lineup tonight.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I cannot understand for the life of me why they kept Cabbage and sent Joey down...did Joey give Reggie or Bagwell a dirty look?
MaxPower
I wonder if it's about the number of options they have with Joey vs Cabbage
BQRyno
AG
Wouldn't be a problem if they would make loperfido a starter instead of Chas.
Marvin
AG
MaxPower said:

I thought options were annual things... meaning up and down did not matter. No?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
BCEDAg
AG
Tucker can't get back fast enough:
Project Gemini
AG
Marvin said:

MaxPower said:

I thought options were annual things... meaning up and down did not matter. No?
Option years are. You can only go up and down 5 times before you have to clear waivers the next time. 20 days in a year spent in the minors eats an option year.
scrimp
AG
MLB minor league options

The wording on the MLB website is weird. It states:

Quote:

Only one Minor League option is used per season, regardless of how many times a player is optioned to and from the Minors over the course of a given season
and in the next line
Quote:

(Players may only be optioned five times per season; after that, it requires outright assignment waivers to assign the player to the Minor Leagues.)
Bringing Loperfiedo up for a couple of games only to have him pinch run and sending him down seems like a poor use of one of his 5 options for this year.....
Serviam
I actually like Cabbage, he has a ton of Pop if he can develop and he's fast.
Project Gemini
AG
Its not weird. If you send a player down the sixth time, the player can clear waivers and be assigned to the minors which makes it the sixth time but still only uses one of the three option years. But in the case of Joey, that very likely wouldnt happen (he would be claimed by someone else of waivers).
EastCoastAgNc
AG

No way he's back Friday
The Porkchop Express
EastCoastAgNc said:

No way he's back Friday
DId Espada give an update on if Jose Abreu ever plans on resuming baseball activities?
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Pitching Progress

K Rate is an issue on this team and, unfortunately, it has gotten worse this month.

But on the flip side, we're walking fewer & getting slightly softer contact at a lower LA.

Overall, our xwOBA has improved from Mar-May to June. Overall, we're 13th in xwOBA & 22nd in wOBA.Our June xwOBA would rank 11th overall (vs team's season xwOBA). Baby steps, but this is the right direction.

We're 7th "unluckiest" in xwOBA vs wOBA. Maybe some slight positive regression coming.

Batting Progress

It feels like the offense isn't where it needs to be. And we love to hate on our approach. Buuuut June has been our best overall month even with a tick down in walk rate. Overall, we're 9th in xwOBA & 6th in wOBA. Our June xwOBA would ranked tied in 3rd (vs teams' season xwOBA).

We're 5th "luckiest" in xwOBA vs wOBA. Maybe some slight negative regression coming.

You would think a top 10 offense with a top 20 pitching staff would not rank 24th overall in the standings. We can seem to lose too many close ones. There are 10 teams ahead of us with a worse run differential.
Wonder what our record would look like if our pitchers and hitters got the umpire's "Yankee" strike zone?
txags92
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I cannot understand for the life of me why they kept Cabbage and sent Joey down...did Joey give Reggie or Bagwell a dirty look?
I wonder if it has to do with # of days on the major league roster required to start his arbitration clock? Isn't that the game they played with Tucker or maybe it was Springer? Thought whichever player it was was mad because they held him in the minors long enough to make him wait an extra year.
BCEDAg
AG
scrimp said:

MLB minor league options

The wording on the MLB website is weird. It states:

Quote:

Only one Minor League option is used per season, regardless of how many times a player is optioned to and from the Minors over the course of a given season
and in the next line
Quote:

(Players may only be optioned five times per season; after that, it requires outright assignment waivers to assign the player to the Minor Leagues.)
Bringing Loperfiedo up for a couple of games only to have him pinch run and sending him down seems like a poor use of one of his 5 options for this year.....

Unless they're thinking of trading Joey and it doesn't matter. I sure hope that's no the plan.
BadAggie
AG
BadAggie
AG

BadAggie
AG
4 pitches 2 outs
W
AG
it's a big ballpark

7-pitch 1st inning
BadAggie
AG
7 pitches 3 outs
bearkatag15
AG
BadAggie said:

4 pitches 2 outs
Bregman and Yordan barreled the ball. I have no problem with that.
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

BadAggie said:

4 pitches 2 outs
Bregman and Yordan barreled the ball. I have no problem with that.

Yup, context certainly matters.
W
AG
Singleton singles
agproducer
AG
W said:

Singleton singles

They were doing so much better when Big Jon was starting at 1B.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
This team is the epitome of "mid" as the youths say
BadAggie
AG
F u ump
W
AG
Dubon doubles
The Porkchop Express
Michael Conforto wrapping up the Gold Glove there in left.
W
AG
Altuve ground out

gets Dubon home
Twisted Helix
That was two feet off the plate.
W
AG
Giants on the board

home runs can be hit in this ballpark
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Twisted Helix said:

That was two feet off the plate.
First Page Last Page
Page 841 of 992

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.