***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,741,817 Views | 66719 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by The Porkchop Express
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MaxPower said:

That was my takeaway. Kind of interesting Dusty thought these kind of shenanigans still left machete untouchable.
I mean, Dusty played in an era where that's how vets treated rookies I'm sure. I'm not really all that surprised at all.
Beat40
I guess I'll say I'm a little concerned for Framber tonight with this ump crew with the way he sweats. He better be extra careful with his rosin tonight.
MaxPower
AustinCountyAg said:

W said:

however Singleton needs more bat flip worthy AB's

BA down to .213

slugging down to .371

the walks are saving his stats for now
a walk is as good as a screaming line drive to the outfield.
Depends. If there's a runner on that can advance then the single has more value. Can't think of a scenario where a walk has more value than a single (maybe increasing pitch count).
AustinCountyAg
MaxPower said:

AustinCountyAg said:

W said:

BA down to .213

slugging down to .371

Depends. If there's a runner on that can advance then the single has more value. Can't think of a scenario where a walk has more value than a single (maybe increasing pitch count).
I never said it has more value. In many instances it provides the exact same value though.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

AustinCountyAg said:

W said:

BA down to .213

slugging down to .371

Batter hits a single and tries to extend it into a double and gets thrown out. What do I win?
texasaggie2015
AG
Thank you.
Beau Holder
AG
Beat40 said:

superaggie73 said:

Had some time while waiting in my truck and listening to Stan Norfleet on 790 for the first time in a while. This dude is so clueless about the game of baseball (or any sport for that matter). How tf does he actually have a job? He's trying to blame Espada and Blanco for not only breaking the rules, but not knowing the rules. And apparently it's Espada's fault for it happening because he should have either put a stop to it or explained what not to do. Is this little league baseball? Is Blanco not a grown ass man?

Now I do hate Espada for his lack of passion and his lack of ever sticking up for his players, but this is not even close to his fault. The only thing he did wrong was not go crazy sticking up for Blanco.
I think this is the most overrated stuff fans buy into for every manager. Also, it's an opinion based on subjectivity and perception from the fan's viewpoint. You aren't in the clubhouse. You aren't on the field. You don't hear the conversations. People assume jackass, angry tirades are passion.

Adolis Garcia has "passion" and guys attribute that to steroid use anger problems.

If the only definition of sticking up for your players is always being a jackass and getting yourself ejected from a game, well that's just stupid.

Espada said he asked if Blanco could just switch gloves like we've all seen happen time and time again. Is that not sticking up for Blanco?

You wanted Joe to go crazy last night in the 3rd inning - well, he gets himself ejected and who is making the moves in innings 4-10 last night? Arguably all of those moves won the game. Fans are short sighted and not getting paid to win games.

Please guys, stop buying into managers that go out there and yell at umpire are the only ones who are "passionate" and "sticking up for their players."

Post of the day.

Hating a guy for not being as hotheaded as a TA poster who has no consequences for what they say when you have zero clue what's going on in the dugout or on the field is so odd to me.

Some people are less reactive and more mindful in how they speak and act. It's generally actually a very good trait. The only people whose opinion on it matters are the players. Did Ronel feel fought for?
Ag_07
AG
Look I'm not saying I want Espada to be the second coming of Scott Servais where he's fired up about every single play but I am in the camp that thinks he needs to show some fire.

Especially given how lethargic his team had looked since they broke ST.

Hinch was pretty damn low key (even too low key for some) but even he had his moments where he wasn't afraid to get chippy. Same for Dusty

This is my only complaint about Espada so far.

dixichkn
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

You hate to see it

That whole "new dynasty" thing doesn't seem to be working out. Not as easy as it looks, is it?

Now……let's keep riding the wave and get our own ship righted. There's still time.
Beau Holder
AG
Think last I heard their awful broadcast crew, guys injured was the present excuse. Only team to have this problem.
bek.90
AG
It will be very interesting to see how MLB handles this situation with Blanco. I expect MLB to say "Well, we suspended Scherzer for rosin and sweat, so we have to suspend Blanco too". The problem with that is, the two situations are not the same. First off, the umpiring crew gave Scherzer two or three opportunites to wash his hands, and change gloves before they finally ejected him. Second, one of the umpires stated later that Scherzer's throwing hand was the stickiest he had ever felt, to the point his hand was sticking to Scherzer's. From what was shown on tv lat night, there was no evidence Blanco had anything on his throwing hand, even offering his hand to the umpire to check. Yes, I realize thereis a rule against having rosin on your non-throwing hand, but come on. At some point, commom sense has to take over, but I have no confidence that will happen. This is the MLB, after all. The other thing I really want to know is, what promted the umpire to check the inside of his glove, especially since there was obviously nothing on his throwing hand?
Farmer1906
AG
You're giving them way too much credit. My guess is that the appeal will likely fail and we'll hear very little.
AustinCountyAg
Ag_07 said:

Look I'm not saying I want Espada to be the second coming of Scott Servais where he's fired up about every single play but I am in the camp that thinks he needs to show some fire.

Hinch was pretty damn low key (even too low key for some) but even he had his moments where he wasn't afraid to get chippy. Same for Dusty

agreed. not to mention the precedent has already been set in these same situations where players are allowed to go wash their hands and return to the game. Not saying he should've flipped last night, but I think he had every reason to if he wanted to.....but this goes back to the rule and general lack of consistency with the umpires which is a different conversation.
superaggie73
AG
Beau Holder said:

Beat40 said:

superaggie73 said:

Had some time while waiting in my truck and listening to Stan Norfleet on 790 for the first time in a while. This dude is so clueless about the game of baseball (or any sport for that matter). How tf does he actually have a job? He's trying to blame Espada and Blanco for not only breaking the rules, but not knowing the rules. And apparently it's Espada's fault for it happening because he should have either put a stop to it or explained what not to do. Is this little league baseball? Is Blanco not a grown ass man?

Now I do hate Espada for his lack of passion and his lack of ever sticking up for his players, but this is not even close to his fault. The only thing he did wrong was not go crazy sticking up for Blanco.
I think this is the most overrated stuff fans buy into for every manager. Also, it's an opinion based on subjectivity and perception from the fan's viewpoint. You aren't in the clubhouse. You aren't on the field. You don't hear the conversations. People assume jackass, angry tirades are passion.

Adolis Garcia has "passion" and guys attribute that to steroid use anger problems.

If the only definition of sticking up for your players is always being a jackass and getting yourself ejected from a game, well that's just stupid.

Espada said he asked if Blanco could just switch gloves like we've all seen happen time and time again. Is that not sticking up for Blanco?

You wanted Joe to go crazy last night in the 3rd inning - well, he gets himself ejected and who is making the moves in innings 4-10 last night? Arguably all of those moves won the game. Fans are short sighted and not getting paid to win games.

Please guys, stop buying into managers that go out there and yell at umpire are the only ones who are "passionate" and "sticking up for their players."

Post of the day.

Hating a guy for not being as hotheaded as a TA poster who has no consequences for what they say when you have zero clue what's going on in the dugout or on the field is so odd to me.

Some people are less reactive and more mindful in how they speak and act. It's generally actually a very good trait. The only people whose opinion on it matters are the players. Did Ronel feel fought for?

Fine, don't go out there kicking dirt, but the oh golly gee shucks attitude is not a winning attitude. He asked if Blanco can change gloves…great…that's what he should have done. But why just accept the answer of no and ejection instead? Why not call out mlb and the umps in the post game for the double standard? Take the fine if that's what comes with it because mlb needs to be called out. And it's not just Espada. Brown and Crane should be doing the exact same thing.
texasaggie2015
AG
How do you know Brown and Crane aren't doing it?
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

I don't disagree that some heated discussion between umpires is warranted every now and then. I just think it's massively overrated and not correlated to team performance.

Do you honestly think if Espada is out there yelling at the umps that it changes the way the team played in Mar/Apr? How does him going out there and "showing fire" get Abreu, Pressly, and Hader to not blow saves in the later innings of the games in Mar/Apr? How does him getting fired up get Breggy or Abreu to hit better? How does him yelling at umps get Yordan going? Do those guys need Espada yelling at umps to know how serious the situation is? These are professionals who have done it for a long time.

I'm not saying it might not have some mental impact on those guys and could possibly bring some cohesion between manager and player, but I don't think Espada showing fire or whatever changes any outcome of the first month at all.

My point was basing passion on "showing fire" and yelling at umps seems kind of silly. It's the same to me as saying the players don't want to win while they're losing and when the have the same exact reactions when they're winning.

Additionally, I don't see Hinch or Dusty yelling at those umps last night over the glove incident.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yep. It would have been incredibly stupid to get tossed in that situation. Also, I wonder if "if we cooperate it might benefit us later" crossed his mind.

Maybe a bad analogy but if you get pulled over for speeding and lose your ****, you're definitely not getting a warning. Even if it was unjust- just cooperate and deal with it in court later. Maybe his thought process was to cooperate and hope the league listens to the appeal.
Ag_07
AG
I don't disagree with most of that thinking.

I think a little fire from the manager sets a tone and gives the team a bit of urgency. Not that it makes them hit or throw better but just gives them a sense of 'OK it's time to get to work'.

IMO Aaron Boone has the perfect balance between not taking **** from umpires but also not being a hot head a-hole. Granted he's a Yankee so he has a longer leach to work with than say Espada.

And for the record I don't think last night was the right situation and i have no problem with him not throwing a fit. Now at his media availability afterwards or today is a different story.
Wabs
AG
So, we can expect a statement from MLB when?

AustinCountyAg
I wanted Boone last year before Espeda was hired. The players love him and he has there backs 100% when they are right, and wrong.
superaggie73
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think a little fire from the manager sets a tone and gives the team a bit of urgency. Not that it makes them hit or throw better but just gives them a sense of 'OK it's time to get to work'.

IMO Aaron Boone has the perfect balance between not taking **** from umpires but also not being a hot head a-hole. Granted he's a Yankee so he has a longer leach to work with than say Espada.

And for the record I don't think last night was the right situation and i have no problem with him not throwing a fit. Now at his media availability afterwards or today is a different story.

Exactly…and as mild mannered as Hinch was, let's not forget he would dish it out when an ump got out over his skis. Don't forget what happened with Ron Kulpa.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

I also don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying.

I do not disagree a little on the field fire can help set the tone. I'm definitely not saying don't get fired up on the field. There are absolutely situations where it is warranted and expected in sports.

My broader point is I think it it's less correlated to a team's performance than most fans think.

I also agree with you on Aaron Boone, honestly. He's someone who I think who probably got himself ejected too much early in his managerial career, but I think he does toe the line pretty well now.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Thank you
Beat40
superaggie73 said:

Ag_07 said:

Exactly…and as mild mannered as Hinch was, let's not forget he would dish it out when an ump got out over his skis. Don't forget what happened with Ron Kulpa.
OK - but there were many, many times fans on this board were pissed at Hinch for not showing much "fire." You're revising history. He did it when he thought it was necessary but did it far less than fans wanted him to.

Espada is a month into his managerial career and hasn't had a Ron Kupla type of moment yet.

Yet, you already hate him.
Beau Holder
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Thank you

Good to see, between this and Dallas Braden, baseball folks sticking up for Ronel. Probably won't save the suspension because MLB dgaf but it is what it is.
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

Thank you
I think my takeaway from all the glove incidents the past couple of years is that AJ said - there needs to be a better system. It's pretty subjective right now and has massive implications. Umpires should never base anything on "stickiest I've ever felt." The human brain misremembers stuff all the time.

There honestly has to be a way they can do a quick test the next day, or at least develop some quick test that can be done during the game. I think they need to even take analytics into account, such as spin rate changes before they just eject a guy based solely on feel.
Beat40
Yup. I'm defaulting to MLB enforcing the suspension. Will be surprised if they do anything other than suspend him 10 games.
AggieJ2002
AG
They're MLB, of course they will never admit fault or inconsistency in application of the rules

10 game suspension on the way, but at least that is in essence 1 missed turn in the rotation as he is just late for his 2nd start by a day or 2. It's a good thing we got Javier back recently I guess.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder
AG
Best of luck to us winning two of those.
Faustus
Interesting article on pitch framing (a/k/a strike stealing) and the uptick in interference.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mlb-may-act-strike-stealing-101023548.html

Quote:

MLB may have to act on strike-stealing after catcher's gruesome injury: 'Classic risk-reward'
. . .
When a swing from New York Mets designated hitter J.D. Martinez fractured St. Louis catcher Willson Contreras' left forearm May 7, the obsession with and inherent problems stemming from framing pitches and stealing strikes came into stark relief.

Contreras, in the second year of a five-year, $87.5 million contract, will miss about 10 weeks due to the injury, a big price for the struggling Cardinals especially when the benefit was simply gaining one extra strike for his pitcher.

The obsession with pitch framing strike-stealing, or strike-preserving, depending on one's perspective isn't going away, at least in the absence of a fully automated strike zone. Yet Major League Baseball's concern with the problem which predates the Contreras-Martinez incident may prompt the league to bring the matter before its competition committee if teams and players cannot correct the rise in incidents themselves, according to a person familiar with the league's thinking who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

The league has reason to act: Catcher's interference calls are at an all-time high.

Through Sunday, there have been 35 violations for catcher's interference, which is called when a batter's swing strikes the catcher's glove before coming through the strike zone.

With the season barely one-quarter complete, the 35 violations already exceed the entire 2015 season's total of 33. After that season, catcher's interference calls began a steady rise, and increased 57% from 2021 to 2023, when it peaked with 74 violations a mark that will be obliterated this year, perhaps by the All-Star break.

That line of demarcation is probably no coincidence: 2015 was the first year MLB produced Statcast data, which, in concert with third-party tools such as high speed cameras and other tech, changed the way the game is analyzed, valued and ultimately played.

For catchers, it's meant creeping ever closer to the batter, largely aiming to stop the ball's flight before it dips below the strike zone. No matter the danger.

"I think at the end of the day, nothing will change because it's valued so much in terms of what you bring to the position, value to your team and ultimately to yourself in terms of getting paid," catcher Tucker Barnhart, an 11-year veteran, told USA TODAY Sports. "It's kind of a double-edged sword: If you don't do it, you don't play and you don't get paid.
. . .
Barnhart debuted in 2014, when, he said, framing was "kind of an afterthought" after blocking balls, nabbing basestealers and then receiving ability.

Now, he says, "It's the complete inverse."

The tools of ignorance have given way to countless contraptions. More than a dozen teams have invested in a Trajekt Arc pitching machine, a robot that's loaded with Statcast pitching data for both opponents and teammates. A catcher can test-drive a pitcher's repertoire and know exactly where to set up to snag a strike or two.

Advance scouting meetings are replete with information on how to best set up a hitter, which may involve creeping closer to his stance. And there's plenty of dirt on the guys with the longest, and ostensibly most dangerous swings.

"Hey, you have to be aware," says Baltimore Orioles veteran catcher James McCann. "Anyone can get you at any one time. But there are more guys that, based on their swing types, are a little more prone than other guys.

"One of the things we talk about before a series this guy has multiples (catcher's interference); be aware. It doesn't mean you change anything; just maybe don't go that far inside on him."

Indeed, the book was already out on Martinez a 6-3, 230-pounder who is particularly effective at letting the ball travel and pounding it to the opposite field. Shohei Ohtani, Luis Robert and Kyle Tucker are similarly long-limbed, long-swinging sluggers who consistently rank among league leaders in reaching base via interference.
. . .
Yet even before Contreras' injury, MLB had sounded the alarm on the rise in catcher interference. Now, in the wake of the Contreras injury, it again must ponder if it must intercede if teams don't change their habits.
. . .
You could also simply sort by batting average, pick out the lightest-hitting catchers and know why they're around. The Cleveland Guardians brought back Austin Hedges as a backup even after he batted just .172 over the previous four seasons.

"Hedges is always elite, maybe the best in the league," says Walker. "I remember taking some at-bats and him framing a breaking ball low and getting the call and looking down and his glove was in front of me. That's how they're doing it they're going and getting it.

"If they're willing to take the chance that the hitter's not swinging the bat and want to be vulnerable and go and get the pitch props to them. That's the classic risk-reward it sucks that it can come at the (expense) of a real injury. It sucks for Contreras; it's terrible. But also, you kind of know what could happen if that's the game we're playing."

The cat-and-mouse between pitcher, catcher and batter won't be going away soon. But nobody wants to see another Contreras situation.

To that end, MLB officials visited all 30 training camps this past spring and, as Arizona manager Torey Lovullo put it, "clearly defined the rules of where a catcher could set up and said they were going to monitor how close that catcher was to the batter."
. . .
Yet it seems either teams, managers or catchers are not listening. The league made it a point of emphasis during sessions with all 30 managers at the winter meetings, and then again during spring training. But with the rise in catcher-bat contact, the league may present catcher's interference to its competition committee as a potential safety issue.

The committee would then decide whether and how to legislate the issue and enforce it. The committee is comprised of six club representatives, four MLB Players' Association reps and one umpire.
. . .
Ag_07
AG
Seems a little much. 35 so far but that's out of how many pitches thrown or swings?

Plus...Don't wanna break your arms? Then don't creep close to the swing path.

Seems like a pretty good deterrent to me.

Lot more worth fixing instead of this.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Surprised there's been no bullpen roster move
BQRyno
AG
Guess Espada was itching to move Bregman back up. Some would ask why mess with what's working? But what do I know.
First Page Last Page
Page 590 of 1907

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.