***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,512,315 Views | 63130 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by Booma94
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cc10106
Dana talking about getting 2 of 3 wins in a row now before going on a run. Expectations have been tempered. Too bad this has been the reality for weeks, not the expectation of winning 8 or 10 straight. Gotta put it together before that can happen, and they haven't done that yet.

Here comes the excuse about playing so many postseason games.

*Obviously they need to get healthier as well but should still have enough to be closer to .500 right now.
CFTXAG10
AG

Quote:

"We're 5.5 back, have to turn it around but we can't keep saying it every week. We have to get it done."
And yet, here we are
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Two words...Garret. Cooper.
Boiling Denim
I'm at a crossroads of optimism and giving up and buying a baseball simulator to fix this myself
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Sher Thing
AG
To be fair.... even if he was "giving up" on Abreu he wouldn't say it in an interview.
gambochaman
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

team is certainly not showing it
EastCoastAgNc
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie
Buncha pampered babies. Nobody but Altuve seems to want to go earn their paycheck. You don't think that guy is sore every ****ing day?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
Meh. There really isn't anything Dana can say in an interview that will make me feel better or worse. He's going to show support for the players and manager and put on an optimistic face - everyone here would do the same in his position.

Actions speak louder than words. I keep looking for what Dana (and the organization) are going to DO about the situation. Are they going to make some roster moves? Sign another first baseman? Call up Loperfido?
iBrad
AG
We still lead the AL in BA and OBP. Our offense is not that far off. We need better situational hitting. We also need contract year Bregman to show up. And, of course, we have to get the automatic out of Abreu out of the lineup.

Our pitching is dead last in the AL. That's a more difficult fix, because it's going to require guys getting healthy and our 7-8-9 inning guys figuring it out. Guys like Brown and France need to cut down on the walks. Walks are killing this staff right.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah at this point that's pretty much what I expect Dana to say.

He is right though that this team just needs some little momentum. Even if it's winning 2 in CHI to win a series.

Just the slightest bit of momentum to get the confidence up and hope it snowballs into something that resembles a turnaround. Then go from there
Wabs
AG
iBrad said:

We still lead the AL in BA and OBP. Our offense is not that far off. We need better situational hitting. We also need contract year Bregman to show up. And, of course, we have to get the automatic out of Abreu out of the lineup.

Our pitching is dead last in the AL. That's a more difficult fix, because it's going to require guys getting healthy and our 7-8-9 inning guys figuring it out. Guys like Brown and France need to cut down on the walks. Walks are killing this staff right.
And that's WITH Abreu's miserable, pathetic and horrendous .065 BA and .132 OBP.
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is about as negative as a GM can get, and I'm actually surprised Brown used words like needing to be more fundamentally sound. That speaks to engagement, focus, and coaching... none of which are a good look for the coaching staff and veteran players.

Also, every poster that trashed a comment about things being broken, having wherewithal to not overreact, and being a smarter fan can please print this tweet and sticky it to your forehead. We were right.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
redline248
AG
Some observations this morning...

Jake Meyers now has the best "power" rating on the team - ISO .250 is just ahead of Tucker and Altuve. Yordan has dipped below .200.

Chas is slowly creeping up in wRC+. In the 80s a few days ago, up to the 90s right now. A few homers will start to make things look better

Bregman needs more than a few homers to look better
tjack16
AG
I wonder how much Chas would bring in a trade at the deadline?
Farmer1906
AG
Lets talk about something more positive.

Jake from Rake Farm

• .227 BA - not ideal but probably a bit unlucky with a .268 xBA
  • .277 OBP - again, not great, but reason to believe it'll improve
  • .477 SLG - career best and the expected is even higher.
  • .754 OPS - about the same as rookie Jake we were all excited about
  • 6.4% BB% - about his avg
  • 19.1% - down from his career 28.3%
  • 0.33 BB/K - career best
  • 0.3 WAR - on pace for a 2 WAR season as a part time player
  • 117 wRC+ - career best

He's also our best defender.

BQRyno
AG
"We gotta catch the baseball" is pretty damning. Clear shot at Abreu. At least that means they know. Hopefully that leads to change.
The Porkchop Express
AG
This season has really taken me back to covering high school baseball and what a disparity there was bewteen the haves and the have-nots when it came to good pitching. When you didn't have 2-3 guys who could throw strikes and throw outs, every game devolved into a blowout or a slugfest with walk after walk followed by groove pitch after grooved pitch.

Most don't like the theory because it feeds into one of 2 scapegoats from the last few years, but Carlos Correa once said that Martin Maldonado's ability to know what pitch to throw and what every hitter's weaknesses were was worth multiple runs per game, as detailed in this lengthy SI article from last year.

It obviously isn't a 1:1 narrative. Framber fell apart late last season while working with Maldonado and Rafael Montero was the human gas can early in 2023. But across the board, excluding Blanco and Verlander, most of these pitchers seem to not be making the right call A LOT and getting torched for it.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
BQRyno
AG
We need to see some conviction from the staff . Make Jake the everyday centerfielder or don't. Yordan has been fine in left field, but it just isn't necessary. I'd like to see (for at least a stretch) Jake in center, Chas in left, and Yordan at DH. Don't screw that up to get Dubon playing time. Let him be an actual utility player and/or put him at first. I know he's only played first a few times. He's got a better bat than Abreu and can't be worse defensively at this point.
Cromagnum
AG
Keep chasing after that pig Dana...

BQRyno
AG
Question as a non-expert - how much of this is on the catcher and how much is on the staff? It seems like with all the analytics available these days, a staff should be able to put a game plan together and that a veteran catcher would just be a nice-to-have.
BQRyno
AG
Cromagnum said:

Keep chasing after that pig Dana...

Maybe my most quoted Simpsons episode. "It's a little airborne, but it's still good, it's still good!"
redline248
AG
We are riding similar wavelengths this morning
tjack16
AG
Jake and Chas to me are just both extremely average. But Chas has been really scuffling this year so I'm okay with riding the hot hand in Jake for a few games.
Farmer1906
AG
Lost in all the losing, we're forgetting about what a great start TED is having.

170 wRC+

His last 3 seasons WAR: 5.0, 4.9, 4.9.

He's on pace for 8.8

His expected stats show he's slightly underperforming.

Pay the man his money, Jimmy.

The Porkchop Express
AG
BQRyno said:

Question as a non-expert - how much of this is on the catcher and how much is on the staff? It seems like with all the analytics available these days, a staff should be able to put a game plan together and that a veteran catcher would just be a nice-to-have.
Definitely not an expert, but the psychology of sports is something I took a fierce interest in as a sportswriter. My experience is that while plenty of pitchers to their homework and study the data, they still have to combat their own worst enemy - their ego. It's the daily interpretation of the great scene with Tim Robbins and Kevin Costner in Bull Durham were Robbins wants to keep using his fastball and Costner has got a whole sequence of pitches in place to get the guy off balance.

I think it really comes down to who the pitcher is, how committed he is to studying the available data, and then how well he remembers it day by day and batter by batter. Maldonado's massive failings at the plate notwithstanding, he came across as a film room / analytics savant when it came to finding a batter's weakness and pairing it to the current pitcher's strength. In essence, the catcher doesn't worry about the ego of which pitch am I going to throw, he's just trying to win the chess battle with the weapons at his disposal.

Years ago, SI ran a brilliant article written by Greg Maddux breaking down one of his games where he threw like 85 pitches in a complete game and his sheer knowledge of every single batter, way before all the advanced analytics, was just astounding. I wish I still had the issue. This isn't the story I was looking for, but it is pretty riveting about how Maddux worked.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
cc10106
Paying Tuck would go a long way towards Crane showing he wants to make things right.
Boiling Denim
Altuve going yard on the first pitch of the ALDS last year is a great example of pitcher ego getting the best of him. Correa said he told those guys all week not to throw him a high fastball. Over and over again. And he did it anyways because I think they admitted they didn't want to show weakness or something stupid.
First Page Last Page
Page 351 of 1804

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.