***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,279,662 Views | 60224 Replies | Last: 25 min ago by txags92
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems to me the odds are the design is already done or close to it if it needs to go into production this offseason. But I've been noodling on it.

- Houston is the most diverse major city in America by a lot of measures/lists and has like 150 languages spoken here, so some nod to that could be cool if done creatively

- there is the giant Latino influence/population to nod to

- between the Theater and Museum districts it really is the cultural capital of the South so there may be something there; probably would still end in "H-Town" for the wordmark

- Bayou City but not sure how you'd design it

- Focusing on being the energy capital is an option but would need to look at more than just O&G

- Houston rap scene seems unlikely but would be fun to see some heads here explode

Just hoping they don't pull a Pirates, Cardinals, Reds, Orioles, Royals, Braves, etc and just make a lazy or terrible alt.
gambochaman
AG
Quote:

hoping MLB gets it's collect head out of its arse and fixes the broadcast situation prior to next season.

SPOILER ALERT

THEY WONT GET THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR ASSES
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser
That's definitely the wife and Cal is very much a "Tommy Boy" type but he's also a "do you know who I am?" type. He's the epitome of the post-turtle but he's also very vindictive towards anybody who doesn't kiss his ass. In fact, they both are.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
gambochaman said:

Quote:

hoping MLB gets it's collect head out of its arse and fixes the broadcast situation prior to next season.

SPOILER ALERT

THEY WONT GET THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR ASSES

As long as regional sports networks hold contracts with the teams, it will be this way. The padres and dbacks deals cratered midseason, and the league created streaming packages for each with no blackouts. As much as we like to hammer on Rob, there isn't anything they can do about it. The league can't cancel contracts on its own,, especially those is not a party to, and the teams would probably owe buyouts.

Also, I'm not sure how much I want the league to own all broadcast rights. They would have a lot of power to silence criticism from announcers of umpires and the commissioner. I kinda like TK and blum taking shots at them.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Wow, that is surprising. The gamble paid off.
CFTXAG10
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So what else is Houston known for? energy companies and the Med Center/MDA.

I vote the next city connect shirt says "**** cancer". Either that or '**** Centerpoint"
Med Center isn't a bad idea, and makes sense given the partnership with Crane and TCH. They had the kids design the caddie bibs this year for the Texas Children's Houston Open and it was really neat.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

Houstonians obsession with the Luv Ya blue needs to end. It has nothing to do with any of our current teams.

It's gone. Over. Get over it and move on.

Flame away
Let's go ahead and ban Nolan Ryan jerseys from Minute Maid. he hasn't played for the team since 1988.
Stop showing that stupid scoreboard going off too.
Get Biggio out of those front row seats. he's been off the active roster for 17 years. Move on already, guy.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Booma94 said:

TarponChaser said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I'd be willing to bet they do something either mexican influenced or something involving houston rappers. something like the texans did with the stupid old english script. shoot me now if so

Have a good friend who used to work for the Texans (now works for the Rockets) who said Bob MacNair was the nicest guy ever. Knew everybody's name, what was going on with their families, and treated his people well.

She said Cal and his wife are absolutely horrible people.
I would believe this about the wife, she seems to be a clinger-on, gold-digger sort. But Cal doesn't seem smart enough to be horrible. Seems more like Tommy Boy than any sort of villain.
If Bob (and Brian Dennehy and Farley) were still alive you could totally remake Tommy Boy

Bob: Brian Dennehy

Cal: Chris Farley

The Femme Fatale (I realize Bob didn't marry Hannah, but still): Bo Derek

Jack Easterby: Rob Low (the guy you instantly know is a shady SOB)

Mattress Mack: Dan Aykroyd's Ray Zalinsky

TarponChaser
The Porkchop Express said:

Booma94 said:

TarponChaser said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I'd be willing to bet they do something either mexican influenced or something involving houston rappers. something like the texans did with the stupid old english script. shoot me now if so

Have a good friend who used to work for the Texans (now works for the Rockets) who said Bob MacNair was the nicest guy ever. Knew everybody's name, what was going on with their families, and treated his people well.

She said Cal and his wife are absolutely horrible people.
I would believe this about the wife, she seems to be a clinger-on, gold-digger sort. But Cal doesn't seem smart enough to be horrible. Seems more like Tommy Boy than any sort of villain.
If Bob (and Brian Dennehy and Farley) were still alive you could totally remake Tommy Boy

Bob: Brian Dennehy

Cal: Chris Farley

The Femme Fatale (I realize Bob didn't marry Hannah, but still): Bo Derek

Jack Easterby: Rob Low (the guy you instantly know is a shady SOB)

Mattress Mack: Dan Aykroyd's Ray Zalinsky

Beat40

Ag_07 said:

Houstonians obsession with the Luv Ya blue needs to end. It has nothing to do with any of our current teams.

Flame away
Let's go ahead and ban Nolan Ryan jerseys from Minute Maid. he hasn't played for the team since 1988.
Get Biggio out of those front row seats. he's been off the active roster for 17 years. Move on already, guy.
Except all of that is Astros History. Luv Ya Blue is Houston history in fans minds born before 1980 and barely for fans born before 1986. For younger fans, Luv Ya Blue is with the Titans. The Texans literally can't recognize Oiler related stuff in their stadium. They aren't the same franchise.

It's just a different comparison.
Ag_07
AG
Completely different
BadAggie
AG
JV hasn't been the same since Kate injured his neck with her…

n_touch
JV learning what Gurriel already knew. Once you turn 40 even sleeping can injure you.
tjack16
AG
A debate on Titans history isn't something I had on my bingo card today … off days

Either way. Sucks the city connects are changing because I loved ours but I do think they'd do something with the light blue like the Texans and rockets have.
wehnerhigh20
AG
Really wasn't trying to start a Titans debate, I just like baby blue
spadilly
S

Off days…

Wabs
AG
wehnerhigh20 said:

Put me in the baby blue camp. Would love to see an "Oilers version" city connect uni.

ETA: and I'm a Cowboys fan. Maybe a navy and silver city connect? I kid, I kid.....
Dr. Doctor
AG
As someone who caught the tail end of Luv Ya Blue, I think there is also a stigma of the two 'ideas'. I learned new curse words on teh Bills vs. Oilers game. With that...stigma... I wouldn't want that on the Astros.

But the Astros have shown they can overcome. So while they are both professional sports ball teams in Houston, they have different track records.

~egon
Ag_07
AG
Bad bad idea

It would be like the Cardinals doing a Rams city connect jersey.
wehnerhigh20
AG
Meant it moreso in the Houston flag, H-Town blue context
Marvin
AG
wehnerhigh20 said:

Meant it moreso in the Houston flag, H-Town blue context

For the love of everything Astros, please please please do NOT make a red, white, and royal blue jersey. Oiler blue is ok, and Texans blue I guess, but Ranger blue should get someone fired- and every idiot above them who approves it.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
htxag09
AG
Wabs said:

wehnerhigh20 said:

Put me in the baby blue camp. Would love to see an "Oilers version" city connect uni.

ETA: and I'm a Cowboys fan. Maybe a navy and silver city connect? I kid, I kid.....

So your opinion is irrelevant...
houag78
AG
So on to baseball….
At this point, is there anybody in the A.L. that scares you, as in "I wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs!"
I really can't say there is - although the NYY owned us early on, we are a Completely different team today. I feel really good about getting back to the ALCS and then some.
JDUB08AG
AG
houag78 said:

So on to baseball….
At this point, is there anybody in the A.L. that scares you, as in "I wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs!"
I really can't say there is - although the NYY owned us early on, we are a Completely different team today. I feel really good about getting back to the ALCS and then some.

There's a law of averages concern I have with the yankees. We've owned them for a decade. At some point that will come to an end and we've faced each other a lot in the playoffs.
_veeyah_
AG
JDUB08AG said:

houag78 said:

So on to baseball….

There's a law of averages concern I have with the yankees. We've owned them for a decade. At some point that will come to an end and we've faced each other a lot in the playoffs.
Soto can be a difference maker or better yet how we pitch to Soto can be a difference on a series if we face the yankees.....that plus you know those umpires can always have some shady calls go in favor of ny
FrioAg 00
AG
I'm just hoping to be on the other side of the AL bracket from NY, so the earliest we can see them is the ALCS.

Whether that's grabbing the WC round bye, or whether that's pulling for Baltimore to win the East - there are multiple ways to get to the outcome I'm hoping for
The Porkchop Express
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Flame away
Except all of that is Astros History. Luv Ya Blue is Houston history in fans minds born before 1980 and barely for fans born before 1986. For younger fans, Luv Ya Blue is with the Titans. The Texans literally can't recognize Oiler related stuff in their stadium. They aren't the same franchise.

It's just a different comparison.
Younger fans suck.
In 1980 the Oilers and Astros were both at the top of their game and interconnected in every way possible. In a span of 10 months, the Oilers made their second straight AFC title game and the Astros play the NLCS.
Ag4life80
AG
On the McNairs. It's pretty typical that the guy who actually made all the money is a good guy. He appreciates the grind he went through and knows he didn't get there all by himself.
The offspring are a whole different story. Basically, entitled on steroids. The kids feel the need to overcompensate to show the old man that they're worthy.
Wabs
AG
htxag09 said:

Wabs said:

wehnerhigh20 said:

So your opinion is irrelevant...
Correct
FrioAg 00
AG
In my line of work, dealing with philanthropic families, I see this pattern over and over and over.

In fairness to some of those founders, even though it's on a much smaller scale I find it harder to reach my kids work ethic when they've never known what it means to do without. And billionaire kids like he McNairs have had their ass kissed by society for their entire existence - hard to imagine what that does to one's psychology.
Mathguy64
AG
As an old guy (not THE old guy, just AN old guy), i can say that Bud Adams can gobble my crank. If I could dig his rotting bones out of a grave and set them on fire I would. I would pour Jet-A on them, light them up, burn them to charred crap and then piss on the charred crap to put out the fire and start over again.

That sorry SOB stole my football team. Yes I know he was in a pissing match with Harris County Sports Authority who owned the Dome and they didnt exactly negotiate in good faith, but that mangy used car salesman stole my pro football team.

I hate him the same way the Baltimore people hate the Irsay's and the same way the people in Cleveland hate Art Modell. If would be better if the NFL had done to Bud what this did to Art and thats make him give up the name. Start over again so the original team can be reborn later with a new owner.

But that has nothing to do with the Astros. Do not make a Columbia Blue city connect jersey. Do not bring that shame into the baseball stadium.
The Porkchop Express
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

In my line of work, dealing with philanthropic families, I see this pattern over and over and over.

In fairness to some of those founders, even though it's on a much smaller scale I find it harder to reach my kids work ethic when they've never known what it means to do without. And billionaire kids like he McNairs have had their ass kissed by society for their entire existence - hard to imagine what that does to one's psychology.
I actually wrote all the copy for the Texans' first ever media guide which came out in 2001 and announced the team name among other things. I was 27 at the time and met Cal, Bob, Janice, Casserly, and Dom Capers. Cal was probably 40 at the time and gave 2 words answers to everything and literally asked his dad if he could "be excused" from the interview.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

As an old guy (not THE old guy, just AN old guy), i can say that Bud Adams can gobble my crank. If I could dig his rotting bones out of a grave and set them on fire I would. I would pour Jet-A on them, light them up, burn them to charred crap and then piss on the charred crap to put out the fire and start over again.

That sorry SOB stole my football team. Yes I know he was in a pissing match with Harris County Sports Authority who owned the Dome and they didnt exactly negotiate in good faith, but that mangy used car salesman stole my pro football team.

I hate him the same way the Baltimore people hate the Irsay's and the same way the people in Cleveland hate Art Modell. If would be better if the NFL had done to Bud what this did to Art and thats make him give up the name. Start over again so the original team can be reborn later with a new owner.

But that has nothing to do with the Astros. Do not make a Columbia Blue city connect jersey. Do not bring that shame into the baseball stadium.
Mathguy and I encountering a reincarnated Bud Adams ....

Farmer1906
AG
The Oilers, Texans, & Rockets should have zero impact on an Astros city connect uni.

I've seen a lot of guesses or ideas thrown out there. What if we lean into the 2017 "Houston Strong" feel. I think the city is at its best when it comes together and during disaster relief.
First Page Last Page
Page 1629 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.