***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,223,388 Views | 59208 Replies | Last: 59 sec ago by Farmer1906
ClickClack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks Jason Heyward! Retained our division lead and made me $1k with a 3 run homer to cover -1.5.
Hornbeck
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Everyone pitched in on the loss. Altuve had chances with men on. 0-8 with RISP hurts.

0-fer with RISP loses games, straight up. Surprised we did as well as we did.
BadAggie
AG
68-57
5.0 games back of Wild Card bye (Orioles).
5.0 games lead in AL West (Seamen).
1.5 games back of 2nd Wild Card spot (Royals/Twins).

3B Paul 97
AG
BCEDAg said:

Dodgers beat Mariners in comeback fashion.

I'll take it, but it feels really dirty since Joe Kelly got the win.
Prosperdick
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

BCEDAg said:

Dirty or not 5 games up sounds so much better than 4. Now lets get it up to 5.5 this afternoon and see if LA can complete the sweep!
Proudag06
AG
Prosperdick said:

3B Paul 97 said:

BCEDAg said:

let's get it up to 5.5 this afternoon!

TOFA confirmed….also, username checks out
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg
Proudag06 said:

Prosperdick said:

3B Paul 97 said:

BCEDAg said:

let's get it up to 5.5 this afternoon!

TOFA confirmed….also, username checks out
underrated post
Farmer1906
AG

JDUB08AG
AG
What do yall think about the push for MLB players in the 2028 Olympics? I read they could consider an extended ASB to pause the MLB season.
Farmer1906
AG
Top 10 Free Agents

The only Astro on the list

Quote:

4) Alex Bregman, 3B (age: 31)

Bregman's breakout seasons in 2018-19 saw him average 36 home runs, 108 RBIs and a .970 OPS, and he finished in the top five of AL MVP voting in both years. He hasn't reached those levels since then, though he remains one of the more productive third basemen in baseball. Bregman's platform year got off to a slow start (.206 average, four home runs and a .589 OPS through his first 51 games), but he's come on since late May, hitting .302 with 15 homers and an .894 OPS over his past 65 games. The Astros have talked about extending Bregman, but with free agency around the corner, he should test the market.

Potential fits: Astros, D-backs, Mariners

Other Astros Fits

Quote:

7) Matt Chapman, 3B (age: 32) ^

Chapman struggled to find a deal he liked last offseason before signing a $54 million contract with the Giants, one which includes opt-out clauses after both 2024 and 2025. Chapman got off to a subpar start (he hit .206 with five homers and a .599 OPS through his first 44 games) but he's excelled in his past 81 games, posting an .877 OPS with 15 homers while playing his usually strong defense at third base. Barring injury or a terrible finish to his year, Chapman seems likely to opt out and test the market again this winter, though a return to San Francisco with a new deal wouldn't be a surprise.

Potential fits: Astros, Giants, Mariners

Quote:

8) Pete Alonso, 1B (age: 30)

Alonso will be one of the better power bats on the market, and although Christian Walker is having a stronger season and possesses a better glove at first base, Alonso gets the nod between the two for his age (Walker will play next year at age 34). The Mets slugger has been one of the most reliable power threats since he debuted in 2019, averaging 44 home runs per year in his first four 162-game seasons (he also hit 16 in 57 games during the COVID-shortened 2020 campaign). Alonso has 27 homers in 125 games this season, hitting eight of them to go along with a .901 OPS in 30 games since the break.

Potential fits: Astros, Cardinals, Mets

I figure we will be in the SP market. No Kikuchi or Verlander next year. Urquidy, Garcia, McCullers, and Javier all still need to return from injury or won't have a chance of being available until much later in the season. Also Framber will be on his final year.

The SP from the list

Quote:

2) Corbin Burnes, RHP (age: 30)
3) Blake Snell, LHP (age: 32) ^
5) Max Fried, LHP (age: 31)
10) Jack Flaherty, RHP (age: 29) ^
Bonus: Roki Sasaki, RHP (age: 23)

I don't think it would be smart to pay for Alonso (like Hader & Altuve weren't either), but it isn't my money. If Crane wants to dish it out, let him do it. I just want parades. We're going to need to figure out both corner spots and a good chunk of the rotation this offseason without much $$ to do it.
Farmer1906
AG
JDUB08AG said:

What do yall think about the push for MLB players in the 2028 Olympics? I read they could consider an extended ASB to pause the MLB season.
I am probably in the minority here, but I would like to see an All-Star college team.

Smith, Burns, Achenbeck, Honeycutt, Bazzana, Condon, LaViolette, Moore, Cags, Janek, Burress, Tibbs, Montgomery, White, Prager, etc would have been so fun to watch this summer.
jetch17
AG
JV day

agproducer
AG
That Game 8 is going to be nuts.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Beat40
As long as his bat is in the lineup today, I'm all for however they want to do it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MosesHallRAB04
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Oh crap. 2025 it is
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

AustinCountyAg
JDUB08AG said:

hell to the no. all you have to do is look at Altuve and the WBC. **** NO
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

The math doesn't math here. He would have to go out on rehab next week and he's not even running the base. I don't see it happening
CFTXAG10
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This lines up with something I heard this morning. They are definitely talking to Neris.
All I do is Nguyen
Hey ****ers!! Get up! It's JV DAY!!!!

Wabs
AG
With Gamel joining, how about we go get Neris to bolster the bullpen? Send down Dezenzo and Cabbage.
spadilly
S
Bregman DHing and leading off.
Altuve with the day off.
spadilly
S

jetch17
AG
No Jose?
SECcess12
I need one more Hector Neris v. Julio Rodriguez AB.
Chef Elko
AG
I'm heading from Houston to Port Aransas soon and want to listen to the game. Anyone know the radio station I can tune into when 790 cuts out?
Farmer1906
AG

790 AM Houston to 1340 AM Victoria to 1230 AM Corpus
Beau Holder
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

JDUB08AG said:

The WBC was incredible and in sports, **** happens.

Olympic baseball with global stars would be a premier event for any lover of the sport.
Beat40
Chef Elko said:

I'm heading from Houston to Port Aransas soon and want to listen to the game. Anyone know the radio station I can tune into when 790 cuts out?

If you're good with using data, download the iheart app on your phone and you can listen to 790 and the game.
davidthomps18
Didn't spell Greinke's name right but this is hilarious! Thanks Altuve!!
AustinCountyAg
Beau Holder said:

AustinCountyAg said:

JDUB08AG said:

The WBC was incredible and in sports, **** happens.

Olympic baseball with global stars would be a premier event for any lover of the sport.
I agree, and even thought about this a few weeks ago. However, with the Olympics being in the middle of the season the risk of injury is way too high. It would be fun to watch, but personally I could give two ****s about who wins an Olympic medal. I DO CARE about Astros winning.

I agree with what the other poster said. Let it be college, and minor league players (top prospects).

ETA: baseball compared to basketball, soccer, etc isnt a world game. Most countries cant compete. Just look at the WBC. It is usually the same handful of countries winning. It wouldn't be that big of a draw in terms of Olympic viewership imo even with MLB players.
First Page Last Page
Page 1455 of 1692

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.