***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,206,933 Views | 58971 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not bizarre

Teams giving us a higher price tag because they don't want to be complicit in boosting our roster. They're scared of us.
linkdude
AG
What about a bat like Mark Canha, righty LF/1B, could platoon with Big Jon, probably not very expensive as he's a rental.
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

What about a bat like Mark Canha, righty LF/1B, could platoon with Big Jon, probably not very expensive as he's a rental.
I think I have mentioned him before, but I love this as a nice cheap option.
texasaggie2015
AG
He certainly makes a lot of sense.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Word is the Rays insisted that Hunter Brown be included in any Paredes package. We just weren't going to do that.
I'd do it. But they probably need to throw in Springs, Pepiot, or McClanahan.
CFTXAG10
AG
I wouldn't be surprised to see Fedde or Flaherty get announced later today. We aren't going to sit and pray on JV and Luis. That and a bargain bin bat is what I'd expect.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The front office needs to make significant moves but I'm preparing myself for extreme disappointment. The prices seem way too high, and we just don't have the assets.
Ag_07
AG
Just keep in mind the thinking all along was that the Astros were wanting to make an addition but probably not a big fish.
CFTXAG10
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The front office needs to make significant moves but I'm preparing myself for extreme disappointment. The prices seem way too high, and we just don't have the assets.

When push comes to shove they will figure something out. From what I understand the pitching is much more of a priority, as it should be.
BadAggie
AG
IF Tucker and JV return then don't need big splashy deals and a Cahna would make sense

EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie said:

IF Tucker and JV return then don't need big splashy deals and a Cahna would make sense

I don't think Tucker's coming back this year. There was an angle of the walkoff celebration where you could see him and he was walking around like an old man, still favoring one side.
texasaggie2015
AG
There's still over 24 hours until the deadline. That's a long time.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

linkdude said:

I think I have mentioned him before, but I love this as a nice cheap option.
Is there something I'm missing with him? His BA is 0.231, OPS is 0.689, roughly 25% strikeout rate. Is that really better than Jon? He's at 0.232 BA with 0.670 OPS, 25-30% strikeout. It doesn't seem like an upgrade.
texasaggie2015
AG
Are you looking at his splits? He rakes against lefties.. .857 OPS.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I hadn't
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Trouble in New York?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
Are they looking options for platooning Jon?

Because they've had opportunities to make that happen and haven't.
txags92
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The only thing worse than not making any moves would be getting desperate and making a bad move that doesn't improve the team, just for the sake of "doing something".
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This is why I feel like they need a bat with power...Seattle is gonna do something else on offense and we need to stay even
texasaggie2015
AG
They also have until tomorrow evening to make a move. There's plenty of time.
W
AG
yes, it's the double whammy for the Astros

lack of trade capital + tight payroll

the Abreu, Montero, and LMj contracts hurt...

and they're still going to hurt for another year
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
spadilly
S
Anyone have two decent tickets they are trying to sell for tomorrow or Wednesday night?
Bringing the youngest for his birthday and he wants "the good seats" instead of his usual buddy club tickets.

Figured I'd check here before stubhubbing it.
MaxPower
It's fun to blame Dana but the reality is our farm isn't good. Maybe it is better than others think but if the teams we are dealing with agree with that statement it's irrelevant. If at least one of JV, LMC and Garcia aren't back by end of August we are ****ed anyway.
txags92
AG
MaxPower said:

It's fun to blame Dana but the reality is our farm isn't good. Maybe it is better than others think but if the teams we are dealing with agree with that statement it's irrelevant. If at least one of JV, LMC and Garcia aren't back by end of August we are ****ed anyway.
That is what I was saying the other day. We have a bunch of guys that are JAGs for prospects that we would all be okay with giving up in return for somebody of value. But the other teams feel the same way. If they are going to give up a player with actual value, they want more than JAG prospects in return. If we are going to get something of value in a seller's market, we are going to have to give up guys we value and would rather not give up...like Brown, Loperfido, Mathews, etc.

Given who we may be getting back later in the season and how we have played so far without them, I would rather see us make no deal than give away valuable pieces of the future for a 4/5 SP, mediocre RP, or platoon player at 1B.
n_touch
spadilly said:

Anyone have two decent tickets they are trying to sell for tomorrow or Wednesday night?
Bringing the youngest for his birthday and he wants "the good seats" instead of his usual buddy club tickets.

Check TickPick as well. I have had good luck grabbing tickets on there for less than StubHub
htxag09
AG
n_touch said:

spadilly said:

Check TickPick as well. I have had good luck grabbing tickets on there for less than StubHub

The Facebook buy and sell group is also good. Just verify the sellers. Especially if they just pm you.
Farmer1906
AG
W
AG
speaking of JV...

another task for Dana is to break the Astros' reliance on old guys -- the over 35 group.

for the next 5 years...Altuve should be the only "old guy" on the roster
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is why I feel like they need a bat with power...Seattle is gonna do something else on offense and we need to stay even
Pitching. This team needs pitching more than a bat. Like, it's 80/20 pitching versus a bat in my eyes. A bat is nice, but pitching is the hands down largest and most important need for this team.

I'm not saying don't get one if the price is right, but if it prevents you from getting pitching, it's a bad move in my opinion.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Word is the Rays insisted that Hunter Brown be included in any Paredes package. We just weren't going to do that.
This is why you can't just tell the Astros to do something. There are two sides to the equation and the other side has to be reasonable.
Farmer1906
AG
aftershock
spadilly said:

Gametime has quite a few available for Wednesday that are reasonable. Their prices will drop off the closer you get to the start of the game.
First Page Last Page
Page 1196 of 1685

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.