***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,197,832 Views | 58862 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by bearkatag15
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The haul it would take to move him would be massive
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Latest update on my end is that there will still likely be a couple moves, but frankly they're being outbid right now. I wouldn't expect any big splashes. A lot can change between today and the deadline but that's where we stand this morning.

My best guess is a cheaper back of the rotation arm that can eat innings and give Brown and Blanco rest- which is honestly huge- and a bullpen arm. They would love a bat as well but it would be difficult to check all three of those boxes.

Hard to believe we're just over a week away.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Latest update on my end is that there will still likely be a couple moves, but frankly they're being outbid right now. I wouldn't expect any big splashes. A lot can change between today and the deadline but that's where we stand this morning.

My best guess is a cheaper back of the rotation arm that can eat innings and give Brown and Blanco rest- which is honestly huge- and a bullpen arm. They would love a bat as well but it would be difficult to check all three of those boxes.

If they don't get some offensive help, do you think they call up Leon and trade one of the outfielders away? We really do need offensive help, more as shin insurance than anything else.
Mr.Bond
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Is this guy ever gonna get a shot or is he a trade piece
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Is this guy ever gonna get a shot or is he a trade piece
He's been pretty mediocre in AAA overall. This year is his first solid showing. Cooper Hummel, Will Wagner, & Shay Whitcomb are all performing at a similar level.

I wish we would hurry and trade Melton before his stock plummets.
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

If they don't get some offensive help, do you think they call up Leon and trade one of the outfielders away? We really do need offensive help, more as shin insurance than anything else.
My personal opinion is pitching is the largest need the Astros have but do agree offense could use some help. I think I would prefer a guy who could platoon with Singleton and offer a solid PH option.
Beat40
Beau Holder said:

Looking forward to seeing if Caratini does in fact rejoin the team tomorrow. He's been missed as a PH bat and spell for Yainer.
I'm with you, man. It's great he can give Yainer a rest at catcher, but is PH bat has been sorely missed. It would have been much better him taking that first PH AB from Chas.
MaxPower
Ty France is basically free. Might be the best you're gonna get.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

The Astros don't exactly need big splashes. They need contributors. Another mid-level bullpen arm so Seth and Tayler's arms don't detach themselves as well as be a little more reliable than Montero. A decent PH bat would go a long way too.

But the rotation arm that can give Blanco, and I suppose Brown, rest, is absolutely needed.
Mathguy64
AG
MaxPower said:

They have had the chance at three other freebies and passed.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

MaxPower said:

They have had the chance at three other freebies and passed.
The only time we didn't was with Diaz. We'll see how that works. Feels a lot like the Marwin signing 2021.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower said:

He only hits well against the Astros.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

How much would he cost?
texasaggie2015
AG
I've mentioned him a few times. They're talking but the asking price is too high right now.

That said, they may be willing to spend a little more since it would solve the first base problem now and the third base problem after Bregman leaves next year.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Bargain Bin Pitchers that don't impact luxury tax:

I wouldn't mind taking a shot with Blackburn. I'd pass on the rest and roll with Bloss in that spot.
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

MaxPower said:

He only hits well against the Astros.
And he hasn't even done that this season.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

How much would he cost?
A lot. 3.5 more years on control.

I do think the Rays would be a good trade partner. Littell, Rasmussen, Fairbanks, Yandy, Eflin, Poche, Paredes, & Springs all make sense in different ways.
redline248
AG
@Ketch, what tidbits do you know about Chas's struggles and what the team is doing to fix it?

In July, he's .148/.207/.148, with a wRC+ of 4. He's put the ball in play 19 times (only 4 hits) with an average Launch Angle of 6.6.

This is probably the worst stretch he's ever had playing baseball in his entire life.
texasaggie2015
AG
He gets in his head a lot. I think he would benefit from a change of scenery. There's a couple teams who have asked Houston about him
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He gets in his head a lot. I think he would benefit from a change of scenery. There's a couple teams who have asked Houston about him
It feels like a giant missed opportunity if we trade him at his lowest.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

It feels like a giant missed opportunity if we trade him at his lowest.
On the other hand, this might not be his lowest. Might as well get what you can while you can.
redline248
AG
I wonder how often the "change of scenery" works out for players that are scuffling. I see no real reason why something like that actually has much affect, personally. Can it even be measured?

I understand it in terms of a guy who is somewhat blocked and can go to a place where more PT helps, but even then, we saw it with Straw and Siri...they aren't better players after changing teams. Korey Lee isn't better. Kessinger isn't going to be better if he was on a different team.

Is it something between him and the coaches or front office getting in Chas's way, mentally? If it's just him putting pressure on himself as he struggles, what will stop that same thing from happening elsewhere?

What happened from June to July? In June Chas's OPS was .804 and his wRC+ was 119 in 48 PA...
Mathguy64
AG
IMHO they should have sent Chas down a couple of weeks ago. He's not playing here. Let him go to SL and play and hit every day. He needs PT to work his stroke out.
redline248
AG
I had that thought just minutes ago, but I don't know his option sitch
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I've mentioned him a few times. They're talking but the asking price is too high right now.

That said, they may be willing to spend a little more since it would solve the first base problem now and the third base problem after Bregman leaves next year.

So I have seen similar statements a few times regarding Bregman. Is the assumption that the club is planning to let him leave assuming they won't be able to win a bidding war for him with what they are willing to pay? Or are they still actively trying to re-sign him to a sensible mid-term deal?
texasaggie2015
AG
You ever go to a new job and feel better? It's the exact same thing.

Sometimes a new place just resets you mentally.
redline248
AG
Another question regarding Bregman (or players on the end of a contract in general), do teams value prospects more than draft picks? Would the Astros even get a draft pick if Bregman turns down a Qualifying Offer and signs elsewhere?
texasaggie2015
AG
Nothing has been mentioned to me that would indicate they expect him to be back, so we'll see
redline248
AG
I can't say I would liken anything in my life to this. I mean, it's one thing to change jobs and feel better, it's another to be in a situation that affects work performance to such an extreme level we're seeing with Chas. Which is why I'm wondering if there is something going on behind the scenes with the team making him unhappy?

I mean, he's performing near Jose Abreu levels.
First Page Last Page
Page 1137 of 1682

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.