*** CAPITAL GAINS: THE 2024 JOEY GALLO APPRECIATION THREAD ***

20,750 Views | 331 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by The Porkchop Express
koppelman7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
South Platte
The Porkchop Express said:

toucan82 said:

Looks like Joey didn't swing and miss for once
She's a Cirque de Soleil dancer. Suddenly Joey's lack of focus at the plate makes a whole lot whole lot more sense.
So apparently the story about her having a kid with the Raiders' owner didn't have legs?
The Porkchop Express
Apparently in Vegas, appearing in a photo together = relations
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Father to be celebrates with a K in his first at bat.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
That's two!
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
The perfect game for Joey last night 2 for 4 with 2 strikeouts. He does that every day, he hits .500 and strikes out 300 times in a season.

Also, the new official meme of this thread.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Serviam
They always get his good side in every photo, crazy photogenic

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey benched again tonight. When will this plague of left-handed starting pitchers come to an end?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
toucan82
WE WANT ROBOUMPS AND NO LEFTY PITCHERS
WestTexasAg
AG
koppelman7 said:

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey is stashed in the 2nd cleanup spot again tonight, but he has an enticing matchup against something called Tanner Bibee, against whom he has a slash line consisting of 9 zeros (0 for 3, 2 Ks).

Now that we know that Our Joey has been sapped of his precious bodily fluids, we can only hope that it doesn't affect his ability to miss baseballs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Nice K swinging for Donkey, bringing his whiff rate against the pitcher to an encouraging .750, but it's looking like another 3 AB night as his useless teammates continue to be set down obediently in order and scoring zero runs.

Joey is showing them precisely where NOT to swing, but they seem to be slow learners.

Donkey will be at the plate in the top of the 5th, coming up shortly.

ETA: Ugh!! A useless pop-up.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Second K swinging for the Donk! Fatherhood seems to agree with him!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Manager Dumbass, whose name I have yet to learn, has benched Donkey against a RIGHT handed pitcher!!

THIS AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND, MAN!!

How is this idiot not fired yet?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
After being inserted as a pinch hitter, Donkey was walked on 3-2 count last night, after taking a 2-2 pitch that was CLEARLY a strike.

Both the pitcher and the Donk were so rattled that neither could offer any reaction as the pivotal pitch was tossed into the dirt. If not for his horror at the umpire's shattering incompetence, Donkey would obviously have swung at that.

The season lead continues to move further and further away from our hero, as Elly De La Cruz continues his historic run with 79 Ks through 58 games (HIS manager, whose name I do not know but is clearly the hero we all need, has played Elly in every game). That's a 220 K pace, for those of you keeping track at home.

Had Donkey been allowed to play in 58 games, he would be leading the majors with 97 Ks, 18 clear of the De La Cruz loser-and on pace for a 271 strikeout season that would surely stand the test of time!

ETA: Oh, and obviously the Gnats lost. Fire him!!! Yesterday!!
Serviam
YokelRidesAgain said:

After being inserted as a pinch hitter, Donkey was walked on 3-2 count last night, after taking a 2-2 pitch that was CLEARLY a strike.

Both the pitcher and the Donk were so rattled that neither could offer any reaction as the pivotal pitch was tossed into the dirt. If not for his horror at the umpire's shattering incompetence, Donkey would obviously have swung at that.

The season lead continues to move further and further away from our hero, as Elly De La Cruz continues his historic run with 79 Ks through 58 games (HIS manager, whose name I do not know but is clearly the hero we all need, has played Elly in every game). That's a 220 K pace, for those of you keeping track at home.

Had Donkey been allowed to play in 58 games, he would be leading the majors with 97 Ks, 18 clear of the De La Cruz loser-and on pace for a 271 strikeout season that would surely stand the test of time!

ETA: Oh, and obviously the Gnats lost. Fire him!!! Yesterday!!

The man is a desiccated husk, drained of his worm spice.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Donk is up 3rd in the top of the 9th in a game that the Gnats are, thanks to his leadership, winning handily. Suspense builds at "Progressive Field" as fans eagerly anticipate a second possible strikeout.

There should be an asterisk in the record book next to this game, as TWO strikes that would have resulted in a K looking for Donkey in the 4th were called balls by the idiot umpire: robo-umps can't get here soon enough.

Our Joey is rarely shaken, but he was so distracted by a screw-job for the second day in a row that he accidentally came around and scored a run.

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Ugh. Now he hits a single.

Porkchop says that these things must happen from time to time for the greater good, but it is hard to feel that way.
The Porkchop Express
He gets 3-4 hits a week and the Nats' manager starts to hope and puts him 3rd-5th in the lineup, that's when he pounces on 11 strikeouts in 3 games.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Tasty matchup for Donkey today against Tylor Megill of the Mets.

In 3 previous plate appearances versus this pug, Joey achieved 2 strikeouts and hit a home run. Those are the kind of stat lines that he needs more of.
The Porkchop Express
We're seeing Elly de la Cruz turn into Bobby Bonds in front of our eyes. A guy with so much talent they have to start him everyday even while he whiffs away.

Before Bonds, the record was 175 held by Dave Nicholson, set in 1963. Nicholson played just 7 seasons, but the White Sox decided "what the hell" and let him plays 126 games in 1963 and he struck out 175 times! That's a 225-pace for 162 games. He hit .219 with 22 HR.

Bonds struck out 187 times in 1969, then made it 189 in 1970. he held that record until Adam Dunn broke it with 195 in 2004.

Bonds' strikeout record lasted as long (34 years) as Ruth's home run record (1927-1961). Ruth was the career strikeout record holder from 1928-1963 when he was passed by Mickey Mantle.

de la Cruz up to 83 strikeouts in 59 games. The Reds have played 59 games. He's on pace for 227 strikeouts. Not since Joey in 2021 has there been a guy on pace to break the record as late as June 1.

Cruz is also on pace for: 102 runs scored, 27 doubles, 25 HR, and 88 stolen bases.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Kyle Schwarber, currently 2nd in the NL and overall with 79 K, is going after some history - trying to lead the league in strikeouts for a third straight year. He had 200 in 2022 and 2015 last year.

Only two men have led the league 4 times in a row.
Reggie Jackson: 1968-1971
Vince DiMaggio: 1942-1945

Who's led the league 3+ times in a row? It's a heck of a group.

Mark "Strikeout Jesus" Reynolds: 2008-2010
Jack Cust: 2007-2009
Adam Dunn: 2004-2006
Sammy Sosa: 1997-1999
Andre Galarraga: 1988-1990
Michael Jack Schmidt: 1974-1976
Bobby Darwin: 1972-1974
Hack Wilson: 1927-1930
Billy Maloney: 1905-1907
Jim Lemon: 1956-1958
Jimmie Foxx: 1929-1931

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Joey back in the lineup doing big donkey things with a 4 pitch whiff
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey with a two run blast, bringing his lifetime stat line against this Met palooka to 2 for 5 with 2 HRs and 3 strikeouts.
Serviam

The Porkchop Express
In my perfect universe, Joey would hit a home run and strike out 3 times every night. His final stat line for the season would be a .250 average, 162 runs scored, 162 homers, 162 RBI and 486 strikeouts.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
redline248
AG
I'd settle for half on all of them
The Porkchop Express
JOEY IS UP IN A SAC FLY SITUATION!

BASES LOADED 1 OUT BOTTOM 9
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
And in the ultimate Donkey moment, they pinch hit for him.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
toucan82
analytics are killing baseball
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey's outstanding 3 true outcome performance yesterday (1 for 3, K, BB, HR) sees him rewarded with a start against a left handed pitcher.

Joey has been dominating lefties lately, hitting .363 against them for the season. That would be outstanding as a batting average, but since we are talking about Donkey here, it is actually his OPS. He is batting .100, thouigh.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Tough night for the Donk so far, making contact in all three of his at bats and even hitting an RBI single.

For the year, Donkey is 20 for 125 with 5 HR, 10 RBI, and 64 big strikeouts.

He did get one piece of good news as one of his rivals leading him in the strikeout chase, the nefarious and poutine slurping Edouard Julien, was demoted to the minor leagues.

Of course when Rockhead Baldelli needs to option someone to Triple A, he sends down the team's strikeout leader. Joey couldn't get away from that imbecile soon enough.
The Porkchop Express
10 RBI on June 4. The guy is one of a kind.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Great Scott!

I believe I have uncovered a vital new statistic for evaluating the greatness of a strikeout artist: the strikeout to RBI ratio.

Reggie Jackson, the all time strikeout king had 2597 career strikeouts, but also hit 1702 RBI, so his K:RBI is a pedestrian 1.52.

Only truly great striker-outers have K:RBI values over 2, for example Adam Dunn at 2.04 and Mark Reynolds at 2.21. The astounding Miguel Sano has one of, I presume, the highest K:RBIs ever recorded, at 2.53.

To further test the integrity of this creation, I pulled up stats for a couple of late, "great" players who absolutely sucked at striking out. Tony Gwynn had 434 Ks and 1138 RBI, for a paltry K:RBI of 0.38. Even worse was Joe DiMaggio, who comes in at 0.24.

To date in his career, Joey Gallo has 1254 Ks and 436 RBI, for an otherworldly K: RBI of 2.88.

For the season, he's at 6.4, easily the best mark of his career.

Like a fine wine, Donkey just keeps getting better with age!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey rings up his 65th K of the year in his final at-bat tonight. He does it for the kids.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.