*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

317,593 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tksymm7 said:

It's a good deal.

It probably is. He could've stood them up for crazy money, and they would've paid it to keep him as a lifer. But that is a pretty reasonable amount for a contract given that he is still a good hitter and productive. He may not be so productive on the back end (you never know), but that's the price you pay to keep him around... and they even got the back end years for a cheaper amount.
Tksymm7
AG
Idk why more teams don't front load contracts, especially if you have the room. Pay the players what they are worth or more for the time in which they are worth that money! Don't pay a 30 year old player who's in his prime pennies on the dollar and then wait until they are 38 to pay them 35 million a year. Pay them for when they are a good/productive player, and make it easier on your books when they aren't as productive when they are older.
gigem1223
When is Adolis's arb hearing?
DallasAg 94
1st is the Time "Value of Money."

$30M today, is worth more than $30M 5 years from now. You'll see calculations for Ohtani about what his Present Contract Value is worth.

If you pay $20M today and $30M in 5 years, if you invest that $10M difference @ 7% for 5 years, you get about $14M... You pay $10M on the $30 and keep the other $4M. That's just interest.

Assume 3% Inflation (as opposed to the 9-15% we've seen the past 3 years) and that is another 15%.

With 7% Inflation, you're looking at 35% as it compounds... another $3.5M
Tksymm7
AG
Another reason I don't get it. Even though the Bobby Witt Jr. contract is a bit large in terms of money and giving him four opt outs is a few too many for me, I don't have a huge problem with it because they are going to be paying him FOR HIS PRIME. Not waiting till he's 28 then extending him for 10 years until he's 38 and his gifts that make him special at gone or diminished. The Royals also have to pay a premium because they are a non-existent baseball market.
DallasAg 94
You probably don't like the O's ownership change.
DallasAg 94
Context:

https://abovethelaw.com/2024/02/the-upcoming-baltimore-orioles-sale-is-structured-to-avoid-capital-gains-taxes/
Tksymm7
AG
You would be correct haha!
nkmustang
S
gigem1223 said:

When is Adolis's arb hearing?
Scheduled for arbitration hearing Thursday-barring resolution.
Goldie Wilson
Somewhat off topic but don't have a better place for it: planning a guys weekend for the Rangers @ Brewers series this summer. Will make it to at least one, but probably not more than 2 games in the series. Anybody have any Milwaukee recs places to stay, parts of town to explore, bars/restaurants to visit, other must see stuff, anything in particular at or around the stadium that's noteworthy?

Thanks
J.P. 03
AG
Depending on how old you are, this could be the answer:
cmiller00
AG
My Dad and I went a few years ago and stayed at the Pfister. My Dad grew up in Milwaukee and was a gift to him to go so wanted to stay somewhere nicer that was there when he was a kid. There were bars and parks along the lake within walking distance. We rented a car and drove to the game but there was a bar that did a shuttle a few blocks away if I remember correctly.

It was in August so was also nice to be watching baseball outside when it was over 100 back home.
Grapesoda2525

Annoying that we still don't garner any respect. To be fair, I don't think any experts had us winning the AL West last year or making the playoffs either.
Grapesoda2525

No rangers or diamond(answer) backs
Grapesoda2525
Here is what Keith Law had to say about Rangers unheralded prospect Justin Foscue

Quote:

Justin Foscue, IF, Texas Rangers
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 205 | Bats: R | Throws: R | Seasonal age in 2024: 25

Foscue had a pretty remarkable season in Triple A last year, but it was overlooked because of some of the players around him and the fact that the Rangers were so competitive in the majors that they never needed to call him up. Foscue walked more than he struck out in Triple A, and while the automated ball-strike system (ABS) helped boost walk rates everywhere (about 17 percent in the PCL), he was one of only nine players at that level to do that and the second-youngest, after Xavier Edwards, who has big-league experience. He's flashed power but he's evolved over the past three years into an above-average hitter who might hit .300 if he's given a full shot, with real plate discipline and maybe 15-20 homers at his peak.

He's not in the top-100 because he doesn't really have a position and can't run at all, limiting his defense and his utility value. I don't love the defense anywhere, but I think with this kind of bat, he'll be playable at second base or first and maybe you can live with him at third for a short time. He has to be extremely coveted in trades right now he could step in and be someone's regular at first base right now for the minimum salary and likely be close to league average with the bat. I don't see much ceiling here, but he could be a solid regular for six or seven years, starting now
Grapesoda2525
Earlier today, I saw Evan Grant was throwing around the possibility that the rangers would look to trade Leody if they feel like Langford is ready.
Grapesoda2525
6 days until baseball starts
MrCoachEricTaylor

What I'm sure all of us look like about now
94chem
Tksymm7 said:

It's a good deal.

If he stays healthy. He'll have trouble getting to 3000 hits if he keeps getting hurt.

He's averaged 127 games over his last 5 non-Covid seasons.

But yeah, they had to get it done.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Tksymm7
AG
I just like that they are going to keep their homegrown, best player in franchise history, and are going to do it with some really palatable numbers when he's going to be less useful in his late 30's. Altuve has made a boatload of money, so that helps him take less later, but I think it's a good move for both parties. He no doubt has to stay healthy, and paying him 30 a year to play 100 games isn't great, but as long as you have him in the playoffs I can't fault them too much.
jkag89
Grapesoda2525 said:

There hasn't been back to back WS Champions since the Damn Yankees won three straight ('98, '99. '00). Still I'm not going to underestimate the Rangers again this season and even if they don't go back to back the window IMO has just opened for y'all if just a few prospects in the pipeline turn out to be solid to all-star caliber players.
Grapesoda2525
jkag89 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

There hasn't been back to back WS Champions since the Damn Yankees won three straight ('98, '99. '00). Still I'm not going to underestimate the Rangers again this season and even if they don't go back to back the window IMO has just opened for y'all if just a few prospects in the pipeline turn out to be solid to all-star caliber players.
Yeah I'd bet against us not winning it all again this year as well. I just expected to see us somewhere on the damn list. Some publications have us with a top 5 farm so I think we'll be fine going forward in terms of being competitive or not.
fc2112
Rangers have not gone to an arbitration hearing in many years, but....

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Thank god. I can stop having to skip past Facebook posts by dumbasses that think he's able to sign elsewhere.
DallasAg 94
Adolis is going to be interesting for the Rangers.

I think he is the type of guy that needs to play with a chip on his shoulder, so a little disrespecting probably helps... but he is also a guy who plays on emotion and will completely shutdown at times.

8/16-9/18
He was out 10G. During the 19G he played we went 4W-15L, .151, 4 HR, 30 SO, .205 OBP.
We went 6-4 in the 10G he missed.

Outside that in his other 129 others, the Rangers went 78-51, he went .260, 35HR, 145 SO

I think he'll have an MVP season this year, but I think the Rangers will likely have to trade him after the season.

We'll see how the hearing goes today.
KT 90
AG
Just had a popup message on phone. "reportedly" the Rangers and Garcia agree to a 2 year deal to avoid arbitration. Would be good if so.

KT 90
AG

Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

I think he is the type of guy that needs to play with a chip on his shoulder, so a little disrespecting probably helps... but he is also a guy who plays on emotion and will completely shutdown at times.

8/16-9/18
He was out 10G. During the 19G he played we went 4W-15L, .151, 4 HR, 30 SO, .205 OBP.

Outside that in his other 129 others, the Rangers went 78-51, he went .260, 35HR, 145 SO

I think he'll have an MVP season this year, but I think the Rangers will likely have to trade him after the season.

They have him pretty cheap for a few more years. I wouldn't trade him personally.
Grapesoda2525
Ross Fenstermaker, Rangers Vice President/Assistant General Manager, Player Development & International Scouting, was on with Jared Sandler earlier this week. Jared asked him to name a couple of guys under the radar, so to speak, that Ross thought could break out or surprise some folks this year. He named Zak Kent and Anthony Gutierrez. He said Kent is healthy again and has his velocity back up. He thinks Gutierrez, at 18 years of age, is just the right age to have a great season. He even mentioned that he hopes we don't trade Guitterez.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

8/16-9/18

They have him pretty cheap for a few more years. I wouldn't trade him personally.
Yes, but the fact that he is relatively cheap makes him more valuable as a trade asset. If Langford comes through and succeeds at the mlb level, at some point one of Garcia or Taveras will likely get traded. May not be this year, but next off-season or the following season. But that's getting ahead of ourselves, we need to let things play out and see how it goes.
DallasAg 94
Garcia is guaranteed $14MM over the two-year term.

Bargain

ETA:

DallasAg 94
I think the Rangers were just waiting for me to finalize payment on the season-tickets. The Adolis deal happened shortly after.

Time to pass the hat around.

For better or worse, from our WS Championship team... right now we lost RP+Monty+Garver.

We sufficiently replaced the losses (hopefully) especially once our 3 60IL SPs are available.

Next year losses due after 2024 season are: Max Scherzer, Heaney, Leclerc. Eovaldi has an option.

We should be pretty solid this year and next.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Has Montgomery officially signed anywhere? Are we out of it for sure?
fc2112
So Rangers basically gave Garcia his ask for 2024, and then likely got a cheap 2025 out of him. But if the escalators are evenly split and attainable, that's another $5 MM a year for him to go out and earn?

His next arbitration was gonna be - if 2023=2024 - $12 MM?

Rangers got a steal, and Adolis got him money now. Good deal for both sides.
shack009
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Has Montgomery officially signed anywhere? Are we out of it for sure?
He has not signed anywhere. My reading based on listening to the radio and seeing the chatter on this thread is that Montgomery wants to be on the Rangers but the Rangers are in a financially uncertain position based on the Bally's deal. I haven't heard that any team is really aggressively going after him.

Seems like the Rangers are the most likely team, though the Rangers may not be the most likely outcome, if that makes sense.
First Page Last Page
Page 65 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.