*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

317,680 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KT 90 said:

gigem1223 said:

Seems kind of light for Burnes. Heck of a move by the O's.

He might be a one year rental. I believe his contract is up after this season

Would gladly give up what the O's gave up for him. This just put them amongst the elite in the AL. With their new ownership you gotta think this isn't just a one year rental.
Tksymm7
AG
And then they'll have to pay him 30-35+ if they want to keep him.
DallasAg 94
Pretty close to Foscue:

Foscue (24- 5'11"/205- AAA) 122G, .266, 18 HR, 14 SB, .384 OBP, .862 OPS
2020, 1.14

Ortiz (25- 5'9"/190-AAA) 88G, .321, 9 HR, 11 SB, .378 OBP, .0885 OPS
2019, 4.108
Reached MLB in 2023: 15G, .212, 0 HR

The other guy could arguably be someone like Burke or Jonathan Hernandez...Bradford...

We wouldn't have a draft equivalent.

Burnes is set for $15.6M this year from Arb. The issue for Milw was that last year Arb hurt their relationship.
alvtimes
Grapesoda2525 said:

gigem1223 said:

Thanks for putting this together.

Ridiculous that Lowe, Heim and Jung are not in the top 10 at their respective positions. Some of those lists are embarrassing.
To be fair,

Lowe didn't perform up to his standards last year. We are all assuming or hoping it's because he was worried about his mother. Is she better or getting better?

Heim and Jung both had injuries at crucial times last year when lots of national folks were watching this team to see if we would actually make the playoffs. The team as a whole looked a lot better and more dangerous overall in the first half of the season than the second.

Re Lowe:….. i just have to believe there was some swing tinkering going on for added power? gap to gap power? something and he just got to a bad spot and couldnt climb out idk … hard to fathom a mlb caliber player that has trouble with the FB!

And TV, F this crap….. u cant tell me that if if was the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox that were being financially held hostage that MLB wouldnt have something to say.
Grapesoda2525
Just reflecting on the postseason run a little more before the new season starts.

I'll admit that I was hoping the Twinkies would beat the Astros in the ALDS because I didn't think we would win the ALCS if Houston was there. I've been totally mystified about how all of their hitters seem to turn into babe Ruth or Joe DiMaggio in our ballpark, but it's something our pitching can hopefully do better at this year.

We were the road warriors, but kind of underperformed at home in the playoffs.

With that said, it couldn't have played out any better than it did. We won the ALCS against the Astros and have bragging rights or "score board" until there's another playoff series between us. We also won a World Series so they can't talk nearly as much trash as they could at the start of last season.

They have 1.5 and we have 1, but who knows if we bring Monty back maybe we can make another run at it.
CowtownAg06
AG
I live in Houston and have a great (friendly) trash talking rivalry with many friends. They are very proud of their AL West title and remind me of that every chance they get.
DallasAg 94

From a sports perspective, they just don't have much recent success outside of the Astros, so it's all they've got

Just a heads-up... Not sure how much lurking you've done on this Forum, but during the season there will be a Trash-Talking thread... maybe a couple.

Once the Houston people realized they had a baseball team (after winning the WS), they would litter our Season thread. It got so bad, that we asked the Mods to put a warning against Trolling on our threads. During 2023, they just couldn't resist and "accidentally" posted troll comments after the Astros would beat the Rangers and then they'd disappear when we won..

Welcome to the Forum.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

From a sports perspective, they just don't have much recent success outside of the Astros, so it's all they've got

Just a heads-up... Not sure how much lurking you've done on this Forum, but during the season there will be a Trash-Talking thread... maybe a couple.

Once the Houston people realized they had a baseball team (after winning the WS), they would litter our Season thread. It got so bad, that we asked the Mods to put a warning against Trolling on our threads. During 2023, they just couldn't resist and "accidentally" posted troll comments after the Astros would beat the Rangers and then they'd disappear when we won..

Welcome to the Forum.

You know what was really ****ing weird and I still don't get it?

It seemed like our rangers season thread from 2023 had 5 pages total of "accidental" Astro posts where they supposedly mistakenly meant to post on the Astro thread, but post on ours instead. Yet, it never seemed like a ranger fan had the same problem on their thread?
chickencoupe16
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Welcome to the Forum.

It seemed like our rangers season thread from 2023 had 5 pages total of "accidental" Astro posts where they supposedly mistakenly meant to post on the Astro thread, but post on ours instead. Yet, it never seemed like a ranger fan had the same problem on their thread?

Not that weird when you consider the IQ gap.
rbtexan
S
CowtownAg06 said:

I live in Houston and have a great (friendly) trash talking rivalry with many friends. They are very proud of their AL West title and remind me of that every chance they get.

I can't imagine a world where I would ever do something like that. That would be like Cowboy fans bragging to 49er fans about winning the NFC East. Nobody will ever remember that the Astros won the division. The only thing history will remember is that the Rangers won the WS.

That's some pretty idiotic posturing by your friends.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Welcome to the Forum.

"I guess we'll never know."
CowtownAg06
AG
It's good natured tongue and cheek. The keyboard warrior Astros fans on here are super annoying. They aren't all that way. Rivalries are good for sports.
PatAg
AG
They are all that way
twilly
AG
Grapesoda2525
twilly said:

Was it really a hard decision?
Grapesoda2525
Quote:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/diamond-sports-group-in-agreement-with-rangers-twins-guardians-for-2024.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
A deal has been struck with Bally.
Tksymm7
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

twilly said:

I thought it would've been because of how long he'd been in the league prior to the Rangers, but the stats say that he didn't have his HOF career until he got to the Rangers outside the one year in Boston and the 04 season in LA.
DallasAg 94
Now that more certainty is known... hope we hear that MLB is filling in the 15%

Which happens 1st:

Adolis Arb case gets done?
Monty signs with somebody?
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

twilly said:

Supposedly now the HOF makes the decision, but they "consult" with the player prior to making a final decision. In interviews following his HOF selection, Beltre made it clear that he wanted to go in as a Ranger. But I guess now that is official.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/diamond-sports-group-in-agreement-with-rangers-twins-guardians-for-2024.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Well that sucks on the streaming front. Sounds like at least one more year of paying Fubo.
KT 90
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

Well that sucks on the streaming front. Sounds like at least one more year of paying Fubo.

yep, from the article:

Quote:

The Rangers, Twins and Guardians will retain their streaming rights but won't be able to work out a new deal this year. For fans in those markets hoping for changes to the direct-to-consumer model, it seems they may have to wait another year, assuming everything ends up being approved in court.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's what time talking about. There won't be any direct streaming so I have to get Fubo that has rights to Bally unless Bally stops being the big bunch of morons that has them only on one streaming service.
PatriotAg02
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

****ing hell
PatriotAg02
AG
So did the other teams besides the Rangers, Twins, and Guardians work out a streaming deal for this season? If so, what the ****?
CowtownAg06
AG
I'll go back to FUBO. I really wish YTTV had an option to pay for RSNs.
DallasAg 94
Mr. Gigem has a real good option if you can't get the game.

Live!
DallasAg 94
The question mark on Seager to start the season puts Duran front-and-center again to really showcase his talent. It also takes him off the trade-option table, which is probably good because he could be our long-term SS.

SO...we have 2 weeks until P&C show up to ST.

Remaining moves I'd still like to see...
Want: Monty, DH
Need: RH RP, at least 1... maybe 2 more SP projects signed to minor league deals
We are $6M over the CBT, as of now. I think we can be under that by year's end, but signing Monty would make it more tricky.
Tksymm7
AG
Seager will start opening day. I'm not worried about it.
DallasAg 94
With the Brewers trading Corbin Burnes, it appears Devin Williams (RH RP) may be available. He agreed to $7.25M ('24 Arb2) and a club option for $10M ('25 Arb3). Brewers are likely getting a barometer of what teams are willing to pony-up. I look for him to be available at the Trade Deadline.

I would think the haul for 2 years of him would be substantial. However, the Brewers didn't net a substantial haul for 1.5 yrs of Hader. We'll have to see where our prospects are in mid-season, I suppose.

Williams: (28): 61G, 1.53 ERA, 0.920 WHIP, 58.2 IP, 87 SO (13.3 SO9), 28 BB (4.3 BB9)
ETA: 36 Saves

Would you include a guy like:
Dane Dunning (29) controlled with Arb through 2026. $3.325 in '24.
Heaney (33) $13M in '24, then FA.

Will Heaney be more valuable because of BP experience to be moved when any of Scherzer/Mahle/deGrom come back?! Could he pitch well enough to get a QO and net a Comp pick?
DallasAg 94
DH or SS?
Tksymm7
AG
All the above. I think he'll be totally fine. It's a sports hernia, not a torn ligament.
hawk1689
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

With the Brewers trading Corbin Burnes, it appears Devin Williams (RH RP) may be available. He agreed to $7.25M ('24 Arb2) and a club option for $10M ('25 Arb3). Brewers are likely getting a barometer of what teams are willing to pony-up. I look for him to be available at the Trade Deadline.

I would think the haul for 2 years of him would be substantial. However, the Brewers didn't net a substantial haul for 1.5 yrs of Hader. We'll have to see where our prospects are in mid-season, I suppose.

Williams: (28): 61G, 1.53 ERA, 0.920 WHIP, 58.2 IP, 87 SO (13.3 SO9), 28 BB (4.3 BB9)
ETA: 36 Saves

Would you include a guy like:
Dane Dunning (29) controlled with Arb through 2026. $3.325 in '24.
Heaney (33) $13M in '24, then FA.

Will Heaney be more valuable because of BP experience to be moved when any of Scherzer/Mahle/deGrom come back?! Could he pitch well enough to get a QO and net a Comp pick?

No, I wouldn't give up Dunning for a relief pitcher. If you feel like he's expendable as a starter, use him as the reliever.
South Platte
Quincey P. Morris said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

What's the problem with Fubo? I have it and don't have any issues with it. Much more reliable than DirecTV. It's a little clunky, but it works.
PatAg
AG
So a deal is struck with bally, but didn't Amazon buy them?
So it could still mean streaming on Amazon Prime right?
PatAg
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Seager will start opening day. I'm not worried about it.

Doesn't seem like it
First Page Last Page
Page 63 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.