*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,086 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For reference... this is what took us to the promise land...

2023 Playoffs
1. Semien (32): 17G, .224, 2 HR, .280 OBP, .635 OPS
2. Seager (29): 17G, .318, 6 HR, .451 OBP, 1.133 OPS
3. Carter (20): 17G, .300, 1 HR, .417 OBP, .917 OPS
4. Garcia (30): 15G, .323, 8 HR, .382 OBP, 1.108 OPS
5. JoJung (25): 17G, .308, 3 HR, .329 OBP, .867 OPS
6. Garver: 14G, .226, 3 HR, .317 OBP, .751 OPS
7. NaLowe (27): 17G, .212, 3 HR, .278 OBP, .657 OPS
8. MaHeim (28): 17G, .212, 3 HR, .268 OBP, .616 OPS
9. Taveras (24): 17G, .175, 1 HR, .299 OBP, .580 OPS

Garver is the only piece that needs to be replaced.

The bottom half will certainly perform during the season. I still think the playoff experience will bode well for the lineup.
Grapesoda2525
I seem to remember Leody disappearing in the World Series. Contributed nothing. He was pretty good in the ALCS tho.
beagle2009
AG
By all accounts Lowe's 2023 season was at worst, on par with 2022 with certain areas of improvement and other areas that slightly dipped. What sticks out to me is the plate discipline. He doubled his walks from '22 to '23 while most other hitting metrics were relatively flat or slightly improved (more R, 2B, RBI).
shack009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I seem to remember Leody disappearing in the World Series. Contributed nothing. He was pretty good in the ALCS tho.

He only had 5 hits in the ALCS but one of them was the tiebreaker the first go against Verlander. But yeah he had 0 hits in the entire WS. Yikes.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
To be clear, I don't dislike Lowe or want him traded. I just think his 2023 was a step back a little for him. It might have been collectively similar to others, but it did feel like he just disappeared for lengthy periods of time. I was just speaking to why I think people seem to be good with trading him.
beagle2009
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

To be clear, I don't dislike Lowe or want him traded. I just think his 2023 was a step back a little for him. It might have been collectively similar to others, but it did feel like he just disappeared for lengthy periods of time. I was just speaking to why I think people seem to be good with trading him.

That is fair and I agree he definitely had his peaks and valleys. That said, I do think it's ludicrous to even consider trading him after last season. Obviously would depend on the deal.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It would have to be some kind of legitimate starting pitcher. Certainly not for a reliever.
shack009
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Having 10 less HRs was pretty big. I had forgotten he didn't even get to 20 in the regular season. It was also just frustrating watching him not be able to catch up to fastballs. It was still a decent year at the plate and he won a gold glove.

I think he has become underrated after the big postseasons by Seager, Garcia, Carter, and Garver. I'd bet he hits over 20 HRs this year.
PatriotAg02
AG
Any word on who will replace CJ in the booth this year?
gigem1223
shack009 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

Having 10 less HRs was pretty big. I had forgotten he didn't even get to 20 in the regular season. It was also just frustrating watching him not be able to catch up to fastballs. It was still a decent year at the plate and he won a gold glove.

I think he has become underrated after the big postseasons by Seager, Garcia, Carter, and Garver. I'd bet he hits over 20 HRs this year.

His defense and availability is also undervalued
cmiller00
AG
I realize it's fun to speculate during the offseason but I'll keep our All-Star, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger First Baseman.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I would like to think his offensive drop off is related to his improved defense. I think he spent quite a bit of time working on his play at 1B so maybe he wasn't spending as much time in the cage or working on his swing, it sure paid off on defense. Hopefully, he's feeling more comfortable and will be abe to work more at the plate this year.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Tksymm7
AG
The lack of pure power and his inability to touch fastballs in the zone is a big issue that he needs to figure out. If he can get back to 25 homers or so and his % of fastballs hit in the zone goes up, he's fine.
shack009
AG
Tksymm7 said:

The lack of pure power and his inability to touch fastballs in the zone is a big issue that he needs to figure out. If he can get back to 25 homers or so and his % of fastballs hit in the zone goes up, he's fine.

His defense was a big issue and he turned it in to a strength. I'm hoping he can do the same thing with his issues with fastballs.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Not sure how much truth there is to his quote, but let's again thank the lord Rendon didn't sign with us lol
KT 90
AG
He fits right in with the Angels and their tendency to sign free agent duds.
MrCoachEricTaylor
100%!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I wanted him so bad when he was a FA. So glad we didn't land him!
Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
You've gotta give, to get...

Top 10 2B just posted on MLB.

Good news - Foscue ranks #5.

Bad news - Saggese (Cards) ranks #4. He went 33G, .331, 10 HRs, .403 OBP for AA StL. He was 21.

He is what we gave up for Montgomery and Stratton. We also gave up Tekoah Roby and John King.

I'll take the WS, but between what we gave up for Chapman and Monty... it was expensive. Yes, Saggese was blocked at 2B and if Foscue holds his own, they are ranked comparably.
DallasAg 94
Also, Top10 1B was posted.

Abimelec Ortiz is ranked #4.
Tksymm7
AG
He had an insane season across high A and AA.
CowtownAg06
AG
If Luisangel becomes Ronald Acuna, Regans, Roby and Saggese all make multiple allstar games, I won't care. The first one was worth any cost. None are guaranteed.
rbtexan
S
Not the most ringing endorsement of Foscue defensively...

Quote:

Foscue has reliable hands and good instincts, but his defensive effectiveness is limited by well-below-average speed and substandard range and arm strength. Mostly a second baseman in his first two pro seasons, he saw increased action at third base (where his arm is too light and the game is too fast for him) and tried first base in 2023. Given that the Rangers have All-Stars at every other infield spot, his only real chances for big league playing time with them are at first and DH.

FWIW I've seen more than one scouting report that don't even give him the "reliable hands and good instincts" part of the above.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

You've gotta give, to get...

Top 10 2B just posted on MLB.

Good news - Foscue ranks #5.

Bad news - Saggese (Cards) ranks #4. He went 33G, .331, 10 HRs, .403 OBP for AA StL. He was 21.

He is what we gave up for Montgomery and Stratton. We also gave up Tekoah Roby and John King.

I'll take the WS, but between what we gave up for Chapman and Monty... it was expensive. Yes, Saggese was blocked at 2B and if Foscue holds his own, they are ranked comparably.
That's 1 of the big reasons I want Monty back so bad.
DallasAg 94
CowtownAg06 said:

If Luisangel becomes Ronald Acuna, Regans, Roby and Saggese all make multiple allstar games, I won't care. The first one was worth any cost. None are guaranteed.
Agreed.

It also changes the mentality of the organization, IMO, that gives it an advantage. The Yankees were always able to negotiate from strength to say, "well, we'd like to win another WS, but if we don't get your player, we'll figure it out." Where as, the Rangers were usually desperate to add a piece to get there.

If we don't win the WS, there would be great pressure to add Monty and other pieces. Having won, we can let the season play out a bit and see where we are.
DallasAg 94
Top10 OF hasn't been published, but I'd suspect both Carter and Langford to be included.

Walcott Top10 in SS? We'll see. I would think so.

That would have us with 5 Top10 prospects at their position:
#4 1B Ortiz
#5 2B Foscue

My projections:
#3? OF Carter
#6? OF Langford
#10? SS Walcott
topoftexasag
AG
Taveras struggled mightily in the WS, but he did work the walk in the 9th of Game one to allow Seager the game tying bomb! He deserves some credit for that!
94chem
Monty = Tyson Chandler
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
shack009
AG
94chem said:

Monty = Tyson Chandler
Lol I like this comparison. It works even better if Monty ends up going to one of the historic franchises in a major market.
DallasAg 94
For those of us that don't NBA... what does that mean?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Let a key piece of their title run walk in FA when resigning him was realistic (pricey but doable) and he wanted to stay
shack009
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

For those of us that don't NBA... what does that mean?

If you don't nba then how did you know Tyson Chandler was nba-related.
DallasAg 94
I actually had to look him up. Couldn't find anything that I could correlate.

Look, I went to A&M when Kermit Davis was coach and Tony Barone, among other awful coaches. Then, lived in Dallas through the '90s where the Mavs were the most profitable NBA team.

Having said that, I was born in LA... enjoyed the Magic, Kareem, Rambis days, but that all went away when we moved to Texas.
rbtexan
S
So you're one of those left coast commies...

I keed, I keed!
DallasAg 94
No, but my parents were.

My parents were liberals, who spent more than they made and couldn't understand why we were poor. Sad in HS when YOU are the grown up.

They were great parents, but their politics and money-management were awful. "Why save for tomorrow when you aren't guaranteed tomorrow." "If it feels good, do it."
First Page Last Page
Page 55 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.