*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,228 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
94chem said:

Or maybe you just let him go, and then you go look for a defense-first pinch running outfielder for less than $2M/year. Wait, we already have one of those...

I assume this is a response to my Jankowski post and you're right. But, why go get an unknown quantity when we have a guy that we know can perform, has a year under his belt, and is already a lockerroom fixture. I'm not sure we would have to pay much more than league minimum anyway.
Double Talkin' Jive...
KT 90
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

94chem said:

Or maybe you just let him go, and then you go look for a defense-first pinch running outfielder for less than $2M/year. Wait, we already have one of those...

I assume this is a response to my Jankowski post and you're right. But, why go get an unknown quantity when we have a guy that we know can perform, has a year under his belt, and is already a lockerroom fixture. I'm not sure we would have to pay much more than league minimum anyway.

I'm all for bringing Jankowski back. Seemed like a good guy who appreciated being here.
Water Boy
AG
Gotta resign Jankowski if possible. Dude is the definition of team player. Doesn't complain and stays ready to go if needed. Came off the bench in the WS and performed very well.
94chem
Yeah, that's what I said. Maybe they just told him to go collect offers and bring back the best one. I was hoping Houston wouldn't make a run at him. I guess they love Dubon and Myers, but they could seriously use a defense-first, LH hitting LF who could reach the RF seats 8 times/year, especially since Alvarez thinks he's too good to play defense.

With fatty gone, they can put a light hitter in the 9 hole, especially one with speed who will take a walk.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
Did I just go back in time?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Lol these mods. Talk about butthurt.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Lol these mods. Talk about butthurt.

It has gotten so ****ing ridiculous on this board.
DallasAg 94
I didn't flag him, but he should have taken the warning others gave him.

The problem is the number of times during the 2023 season that Astros fans "accidentally" posted a troll and then ran over to their thread to gloat.

I took a ban and posted about it. The NE and West Coast media does Texas no favors and we should have a common enemy.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Well that was weird. Had a notification someone replied to me and now multiple posts are gone.

For posterity, I'd still prefer staff deal with trolls swiftly and harshly and not shut down other fans on threads with reasonable posts. I'd also prefer everybody stop being such punks about the whole thing.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

The problem is the number of times during the 2023 season that Astros fans "accidentally" posted a troll and then ran over to their thread to gloat.

I took a ban and posted about it. The NE and West Coast media does Texas no favors and we should have a common enemy.

Oh I definitely remember.

I mean more along the lines of the mods deleting everything related to that post.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Oh I definitely remember.

I mean more along the lines of the mods deleting everything related to that post.

Everything on our thread at least. Let's just say I perused over somewhere else and it all still exists somewhere else in the universe, but not too far away. Double standard but that's to be expected I guess. Pretty sad what some grown men will say.
jkag89
Quote:

I didn't catch the ban. Disappointed STAFF did not let the discussion stay up. My apologies to those who felt I was treading on your territory. I guess I'll just stay in my own lane from now on, it is very disappointing that cross discussion is not possible on each other threads.

Sorry STAFF in causing you a bunch of work.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

I didn't catch the ban. Disappointed STAFF did not let the discussion stay up. My apologies to those who felt I was treading on your territory. I guess I'll just stay in my own lane from now on, it is very disappointing that cross discussion is not possible on each other threads.

You can thank Astros posters like The D and others for ruining it.
Danny Vermin
Where did my post go? It was not worth deleting for telling the truth. It's on their effin thread.
Danny Vermin
I flagged his ass. Stay off of our thread. I may read theirs occasionally but I've never, not once, posted on it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Where did my post go? It was not worth deleting for telling the truth. It's on their effin thread.

When it comes to our team there is a scorched earth approach to how posting is handled.

Much like we went scorched earth on the rest of the league this postseason.
jkag89
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

jkag89 said:

Quote:

You can thank Astros posters like The D and others for ruining it.
From my perspective it definitely goes both ways. Anyways it sucks for this baseball fan.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Who in the hell are the mods that delete posts? I am assuming it's not the guys that provide information, but rather some numb nuts intern.

The information provided on here is top notch, but the moderators are complete jackoffs. Always have been.
DallasAg 94
Danny Vermin said:

I flagged his ass. Stay off of our thread. I may read theirs occasionally but I've never, not once, posted on it.
I have no problem with you or anyone else flagging them. During the season, I was very aggressive about it for obvious reasons.

In my fantasy world, as Texans we fight against the media powers and the AL comes through Texas every year. But, we all know Astros losing keep them in their lane on their thread.
DeangeloVickers
AG
KT 90
AG
Guess I was busy with Cowboy game last night and didn't know that we had an off-season Ranger-Astro skirmish on TexAgs. Hopefully nobody caught a ban from it, lol.

Best advice is to just avoid the others thread (for both Ranger fans and Astro fans). I don't even click on that thread unless there is some news out that makes me want to get some perspective from the other side. Guess Maybe I am getting old, just not worth the drama.
KT 90
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

Who in the hell are the mods that delete posts? I am assuming it's not the guys that provide information, but rather some numb nuts intern.

The information provided on here is top notch, but the moderators are complete jackoffs. Always have been.

They never publically disclose them, but from what I have gathered over the years is that they are basically unpaid volunteers that somehow got picked through whatever process they use for that. Definitely isn't consistent from board to board, but it is what it is. Some boards are more lenient than others. And these are mostly free boards, so you get all kinds of people showing up; I am sure it is a mostly thankless job, maybe they get a free/comp premium membership out of the deal.

The TexAgs main owner does help moderate the Politics board, so I guess that one is known; but he isn't the only one moderating that board. T&P to him and anyone else trying to moderate that board .
Cappo
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

probably asstros fans
Cappo
AG
Look everyone in the end..THE RANGERS are WORLD SERIES CHAMPS and didn't cheat like the ****ing asstros so **** it we the champs
agent-maroon
AG
Cappo said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

probably asstros fans
Probably? Is there any doubt?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasAg 94
It's kinda sad where this Forum is, but it is the result of the making of Astros fans.

This off-season I've lurked over there looking to see if they found news about a signing or update on a FA. They do have a couple posters that are worth reading.

Prior to that, during the 2023, I would pop over there to watch them lament, but overall the content was more like a Hooters than a place I'd want my wife and boys following. But, maybe that is indicative of their family.

Prior to 2023, the only time I would visit their thread was when someone would post here that they were trolling me or distorting something I had said. It wasn't just me, it was other Rangers fans they would trash.
KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

I did run across this payroll projection on Twitter. The CBT luxury tax line is $237M, so if this projection is accurate, not much room left.

DallasAg 94
COTS is showing a little more...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1anXbV-uZY8xKIm4t7nllkLVFBoh8l4sCAZ3r0G9qInQ/edit#gid=1520401900

It was why the Kirby signing surprised me @ $4.5M

It has been my expectation we'll be under the CBT. Grant suggested relief on the Bally's deal looked to be forthcoming, but I'm guessing things have stalled.

Even with a deal, I don't expect much more.
DallasAg 94
Last season, I mentioned the idea of having enough rotation to make the playoffs and a separate measure of having a playoff rotation.

I look at 2024 as a little different.

1. I think you need enough rotation to make the playoffs. The ALWest hasn't done enough to concern me about the Rangers.

Houston vs Rangers. Both likely make it, I give edge to Rangers because I think there is more certainty.
Seattle dismantled. Financial problems worse because of Media than the Rangers.
Anaheim just like Plesac... Zach... not Dan. 7.59 ERA in 5GS in 2023.
Oakland is trash.

Should play out similar to 2023 in terms of 2H jockeying and positioning. Trade deadline in AL will be more opportunistic than stacking talent.

2. Can you beat the Yankees? I think they alone have done the most and are the best AL team, on paper. ToTR guys will match with any AL team. Having 2 GS likely doesn't work in 2024 like the Rangers were able to do. Lots of talent but can they leverage it to win the AL Pennant.

3. Can you win the WS? Dodgers and Braves Head-to-head I don't think anyone can compete with their talent. What is a weakness you can find and exploit. DBacks played small ball getting guys on base and then using speed to move around. Get PC up to get to bullpen. We'll see how the season develops.

The biggest opportunity against the Dodgers, I think... is for teams to get their PC and IP up early in the season in hopes they are tired late in the season.
DallasAg 94
Happy New Year!

We're still reigning World Series Champs, right?
Water Boy
AG
Hypothetical trade idea if you were the GM. Cleveland wants Duran, Lowe, and Rocker for Shane Bieber and Clase. Explain why you are/not making the trade.
DallasAg 94
Water Boy said:

Hypothetical trade idea if you were the GM. Cleveland wants Duran, Lowe, and Rocker for Shane Bieber and Clase. Explain why you are/not making the trade.
On the get... Clase is a huge red-flag for me. He tested positive in 2020 for a horse steroid, which would seem he intentionally knew he was taking it. At least Tatis Jr said he used a different PED for ringworm. On 2nd thought... I'm not sure which is worse.

Clase (25): 75G, 3.22, 72.2 IP, 64 SO, 1.156.

Clase is interesting to me, but I have doubts about him. His numbers are headed in the wrong direction. Could be nothing. Could be something. Low cost for the next few years (3-4).

Bieber (28): 21GS, 3.80, 128.0 IP, 107 K, 1.118 WHIP
2022: 31 GS, 2.88, 200.0 IP, 198 K, 1.040 WHIP
Projected $13M in 2024, his final Arb.

Bieber - What does he buy us? I'd put him as a #3?

Evoaldi, Dunning, Gray, Heaney.

He'd be a depth guy, but at $13M. Duran, Rocker, Lowe doesn't give us any $$$ relief.

With Scherzer, Mahli, and deGrom looking to come back in the late summer, I'm hesitant to commit to another mid-rotation SP.

Clase is worth considering at the Trade Deadline, if nobody emerges in the BP.

I'll post separately about the "give."
DallasAg 94
Water Boy said:

On the give...

Duran (24) - Has 5 years of team control. 2yrs as a Serf (League minimum) and 3 years of Arb. He gave us:
122G, .276, 14 HRs, 8SB, and a .324 OBP.

I loved how he filled in for Seager and I can't quantify his value. I think IKF was seen as a future full-time SS and hasn't lived up to it. But, Duran... I think he is better than IKF. I think he is much better. I beleive IKF was a SS who the Rangers toyed with playing at C, and then moved back to SS, and ultimately filled the 3B role. I think IKF was a SS hopeful and 3B likely, where as Duran seems like a sure SS. And played it well. Duran is also much better as a fulltime regular rather than a Util.

Lowe has been a Silver Slugger. He has been a Gold Glvoe. I think his hitting took a dip this season. Not sure if it is because he focused on fielding... or him mom's cancer... or both. Lowe has 3 years of Arb counting 2024.

Kumar - TJ in May/June 2023. He will probably start his come-back in June 2024. He'll be Rule V eligible in Dec 2026. I think it could be 2027 before we see him. He'll be 27 then. He is Dillon Tate, to me and we'll probably include him in a trade somewhere along the way.

Not opposed to trading any of the 3. I think if Duran gets another chance in 2024 to play over 120G and get over 400 ABs, he could be a huge trade chip. As is, I think he is a tremendous push for Seager and Semien.

Trading 2 starting positional players for a Innings Eater and a phenom Closer doesn't mesh for me.
First Page Last Page
Page 43 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.