*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,346 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IF Ohtani is interested in coming to Texas (meaning we're not in a true bidding war), then I think it basically comes down to whether or not the front office can be convinced that adding the best hitter in baseball to a World Series team is the best way to extend this success.

He's not a need. We just won the World Series and the lineup is going to stay mostly in-tact.

But can the front office/ownership be convinced that rather than a few tweaks and rolling the dice that we can get back to the World Series that just roster-whipping the league is the more advantageous move.

One might say "well why wouldn't ownership want to do that every year?"... and the answer is it's not often that you find yourself in a position where you've *proven* you have a WS caliber team -- one that wasn't exactly lucky when it came to injuries... you have a TORP arm already signed that could be ready after the All Star Break... you have young guys ready to break in... And you've got a HOF-caliber player that has you on his short list.

That's a lot of things that lineup just right.

Since it's me, just looking at it from a gambling/odds prospective... Right now oddsmakers have Texas with roughly a 10-12% chance of winning the WS again.

You sign Ohtani, those odds likely push to 15-16%.

So crunch the numbers -- what is a 5% increase in championship odds worth a team that will already be considered one of the favorites?

A really nice spot to be in for Texas. Either way they go you can make a case is the right move.
DallasAg 94
I agree with your post.

Mine was not just to make an argument to winning the WS.

I wanted to see what exactly the impact would be of just adding him both positive and negative. The 2023 Dodgers, Braves, and Rays are proof things can fall apart.

The T4 of Semien, Seager, Ohtani, and Garcia could create a Brand for the next 3 years. Winning a WS or more during that time would stamp/validate the Brand, for sure.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Thank God for the Rangers guys. It's looking like the Aggies are in for a rebuild.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

Thank God for the Rangers guys. It's looking like the Aggies are in for a rebuild.

Depending on who we hire, I don't think that's necessarily true. If we can avoid a mass exodus, I think we look good going into next year.
DallasAg 94
Now you know why my post got to a tl dr.

I figured I'd just "show up" to the Aggie game, like the team did.
Tksymm7
AG
We might NEED a mass exodus with the way we look at times. We just do not look good or talented sometimes.
Jsimonds58
AG

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I live in Houston and had to read through nonsense acting like Maldonado did nothing at all for Adolis to go straight to him and dumber nonsense about him being scared of Abreu. I distinctly remember the broadcast talking about his teammates saying he was a gangster back there or something. Dude likes to start s*** and he got what he was looking for there which is my biggest annoyance. Adolis got the last laugh on that one though.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Yeah, and Maldonado looked the part of a clown too with that ugly ass orange hair.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Maldonado and his "worst thing they did is wake up the Astros" dumba$$ comment.

Who woke who up? Fool.
PatAg
AG
AgBQ-00
AG
Loudest I've ever heard a Rangers game
94chem
That's how you bring the momentum.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Grapesoda2525
Jsimonds58 said:

Good god. What a weirdo. He's a perfect fit for the Astros.
Water Boy
AG
Nola coming back to Philly. 7 years for 170 million. Thoughts?
Tksymm7
AG
I think that means his market wasn't as high as he thought. Philly wanted him back, but not near 200 million dollars; so I think he found out no one else wanted him for 200+ million dollars as well.
sburg2007
I wish my employer didn't want me for $200 mil but still gave me $170
DallasAg 94
Water Boy said:

Nola coming back to Philly. 7 years for 170 million. Thoughts?
I think that is the mark for Monty, now. Which is about what I expected.

MLBTR has them both projected at 6yr/$150 ($25M per). The number I saw was $172, so essentially a 7th year at $20-22M.

They are comparable. Atlanta was apparently interested in Nola. Dodgers, Cards, BoSox, et al, are presumably interested in Monty.

Regarding $200M... it could be that Nola was willing to take less to stay with Philly his entire career, than uproot and go to Atlanta.
fc2112
I think Nola is a notch up from Montgomery. Maybe we get Monty for 5 at $110 MM?
Water Boy
AG
The players have changed the game in how these contracts work this past decade. Lot of guys getting these 6-10 year deals.
Water Boy
AG
The rumor is Nola turned down more money to stay in philly.
KT 90
AG
Water Boy said:

The rumor is Nola turned down more money to stay in philly.

Good for him then. But that will piss off the players union... lol.
sburg2007
My opinion? Screw "the players union" and do what makes you happy!
DallasAg 94
Agreed. Reminds me of Raffy, Will Clark, and Pudge.

Raffy and his agent was holding out for just a bit more. Rangers hung up the phone called Will Clark's agent, got a deal done and called Raffy's agent to let them know they are no longer in the market for a 1B.

Raffy was upset because ideally, he wanted to stay in Texas, but knew it was ultimately up to him if he wanted to stay.

When Pudge was going through the same thing, Pudge sought Raffy's experience. Raffy told him if he wanted to stay in Texas that he needed to make it known to the team regardless of his agent. They got a deal done and he stayed in Texas.

I'd like Monty to stay in Texas, but if he is seeking and set on making 7yr/$172M... I won't be disappointed he leaves. And I won't blame him for leaving.

I'm at 3-4 $25M with options on a 5th. I think he'll get $30M for 6.
fc2112
Didn't Pudge walk into the GMs office without his agent and hammer out a deal in about 15 minutes?
DallasAg 94
fc2112 said:

Didn't Pudge walk into the GMs office without his agent and hammer out a deal in about 15 minutes?
That's the story I recall.
DallasAg 94
HoF Ballots are unveiled today. It will include Beltre whom most think are a 1st ballot shoe-in.

Any word if he is going in as a Dodger or Ranger?

Lots of big names return, including Sheffield's 10th and final. Manny 8th and A-Rod 3rd.
Proposition Joe
Would be as a Ranger. He only really had one great year with LA (2004). He had several with Texas.
Enviroag02
AG
Mr Gigem said:

White jerseys with the World Series patch are available in the team store today

What about powder blue Seager jerseys? Are those available in the team store?
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I would be shocked if he went in as anything other than a Ranger. Had more of pretty much every counting stat here than anywhere else, more Gold Gloves here than the rest of his career combined, more MVP votes than anywhere else, as many Silver Sluggers as the rest of his career combined, more years played here than anywhere else, vastly more postseason success here than anywhere else, the team that paid him significantly more money than anyone else, and the place where he retired.
sburg2007
Y'all should check out the Straight Up Texas Podcast hosted by Jared Sandler. The last episode is loooong with Nathaniel Lowe and my goodness I love him.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

HoF Ballots are unveiled today. It will include Beltre whom most think are a 1st ballot shoe-in.

Any word if he is going in as a Dodger or Ranger?

Lots of big names return, including Sheffield's 10th and final. Manny 8th and A-Rod 3rd.
I believe that the MLB makes the determination now as to what team the new inductee's go in as. Not sure if it has already been determined, but I've always assumed it would be as a Ranger.
South Platte
Montgomery, and his future performance, is such a key piece to how our "window" operates. We know what we'll get with Eovaldi, Scherzer, DeGrom, Gray, Heaney. Montgomery doesn't have a greatest track record of success, but he helped will us to a WS title. His diving catch on that bunt in Game 1 vs. Tampa changed everything.

If he doesn't pitch well, we have a massive contract hanging around our necks for years. If he continues pitching well we are set up for serious success.

I wonder if NYY just screwed him up and he's coming out of that awful environment. It makes you wonder if Severino could be salvaged as well. Severino will turn 30 next season. I was at Game 160 in 2022 when he had a no-hitter through 7. Boone pulled him, he was pissed. Pitched like garbage in 2023.
Proposition Joe
Montgomery had a 3.83 and 3.69 ERA his last two seasons as a Yankee. Not great, but a well above average starter.

There was also a shift in the offenses he was facing. In 2022 the AL East was a better hitting division than the NL Central. In 2023 the NL Central was a better hitting division than the AL West (once you exclude Texas who he wouldn't face).

That's not to say anyone saw 2.79 coming (though I did say I was actually more excited about what Montgomery would do for our playoff chances than Scherzer), but essentially he was a 3.5 ERA pitcher with Texas (which isn't far from his career numbers) that in two small samples absolutely shoved.

Just so happened those samples were monumentally big games.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Just saw the email that 20 game plans go on sale today. I bought those for several years in a row and didn't do it last year, mainly because my twin boys high school ball and select and I wasn't going to as many games.

I think I want to do it again this year though. So Mr. Gigem, do I need to purchase through you?
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.