*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,881 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like the Rule V stuff because it helps see who is emerging and how teams value some of the up-and-comers.

Now that the roster is set, at a minimum, we have knowledge of whom the Rangers would have available if the season were to start today. Let's start with the P and I've taken liberty to fill things as I see it. Happy discussions.

Here is where we are with Pitchers: We have 22 on 40 and will have 13 for the 26.
SP (5): Eovaldi, Scherzer, Heaney (L), Gray, Dunning
RH RP (4):Sborz (29), Hernandez (26), Bush (37), Anderson (26),
LH RP (3): Brock Burke (26), Brett Martin (28), Bradford (25/Long)

- Narrative:
Burke went 52G/1.97 in '22. 53G, 4.37 in '23. Fell apart.
Martin went 66/3.18 in '21. 55G, 4.14 in '22. Finished '22 on IL, had off-season surgery. Didn't pitch in '23.
Bradford is SP who can be Long-reliever. Fill-in SP. Could be traded.

Closer (1): Leclerc (R)
-------------------------
IL: deGrom <- Counts on the 40 until the season starts. Then moved to 60 and no longer counts towards 40. Likely a good time to add a 3rd C or RP.

Minors:
RH: Yerry Rodriguez (25), Marc Church (22), Kent (25-S), OWhite (23-S), Cole Winn (23-S), Corniell (20-S),
LH: Latz (27), Antoine Kelly (23)

Newberg does a great job in his Sept 26, '23 article on Corniell and Kelly:
https://theathletic.com/4891998/2023/09/26/six-rangers-prospects-2023-levels/

My opinion:
No surprise Texas has 2-3 slots open on the 40. Hedges is still weird. We could look over Rule V (unlikely). I think it is likely we trade some of our guys above to create space and improve the roster (Burke/Latz/Bradford).
I think we'll sign Monty. Could facilitate trading 1 of Dunning/Gray/Heaney.
I think if we only signed a LH RP in the off-season, we'll get a chance to see some of the younger arms and decide if we need to move on.
AgBQ-00
AG

Michael Young coming up on Foul Territory
AgBQ-00
AG
Just got finished watching this. It is phenomenal!!!
KNM2020
AG
According to Passan, seems like top 3 right now for ohtani are Rangers, Red Sox. Dodgers
Grapesoda2525
KNM2020 said:

According to Passan, seems like top 3 right now for ohtani are Rangers, Red Sox. Dodgers
I could end up looking foolish, but I'd guess it becomes another rangers vs dodgers decision. We will probably see the same thing with Kershaw again later in free agency.
PatriotAg02
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Michael Young coming up on Foul Territory

Wow that was great. One of my all-time favorite Rangers.
KT 90
AG

AgBQ-00
AG
I couldn't believe the true story about the game 6 "rain out"

edit: game# correction
Proposition Joe
AgBQ-00 said:

I couldn't believe the true story about the game 5 "rain out"

Game 6.

And it's still amazing how little talk that got. Rangers got completely bent over.
AgBQ-00
AG
The fact that Sielig just decided "nah...I'm not getting on a plane today. They can cancel it." Makes it even worse!!!
sburg2007
Anyone still wanting postseason get up, academy has marked 25% off.
mosdefn14
AG
Thanks. I went Monday hoping to see them clearanced, but not yet. So a hoodie is now ONLY $60.

In fairness I'm still wearing my 2011 one as my "cool baseball practice" gear, so amortized it's not that bad.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
A's to Vegas officially, have to wonder if that makes them a more aggressive player in the division or if Fisher will continue to not spend.
DallasAg 94
Let's talk more SP.

I think every team needs SP except Seattle, Miami... maybe Texas. Cards are rumored to be looking for up to 3 SPs. LAD could stand to add 2-3 SPs. Yanks and SFG need a Top-end SP.

Tampa is floating Glasnow as a trade candidate. With Cashman/NYY shooting themselves in the foot with the Stanton comments (his agent is also the agent for Yamamoto who NYY were highly pursuing), he could end up elsewhere.

I think Nola and Gray sign first, then Yamamoto... then Snell... then Monty.

Below are the Top FA SPs:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/2023-24-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions.html
Quote:

3. Yoshinobu Yamamoto. Nine years, $225MM
Tim: Giants / Anthony: Yankees / Darragh: Yankees

4. Blake Snell. Seven years, $200MM
Tim: Phillies / Anthony: Red Sox / Darragh: Dodgers

5. Aaron Nola. Six years, $150MM
Tim: Cardinals/ Anthony: Cardinals / Darragh: Cardinals

6. Jordan Montgomery. Six years, $150MM
Tim: Rangers / Anthony: Mets / Darragh: Giants

9. Sonny Gray. Four years, $90MM
Tim: Braves / Anthony: Dodgers / Darragh: Tigers

10. Shota Imanaga. Five years, $85MM
Tim: Cubs / Anthony: Cubs / Darragh: Angels

11. Eduardo Rodriguez. Four years, $82MM
Tim: Red Sox / Anthony: Reds / Darragh: White Sox

When it comes to matching up SPs in the AL... I think Seattle is the one I'm watching to make a move. I think they will have one of the best rotations in 2024.
Jsimonds58
AG
He won't need to spend, visiting fans will fill that ballpark regardless
DallasAg 94
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

A's to Vegas officially, have to wonder if that makes them a more aggressive player in the division or if Fisher will continue to not spend.
I think in the interim, the market will dictate. Until they get a new stadium in 2028, I don't think they'll attract too many FAs on long-term deals.

Once they open their new stadium, it will be interesting to see how they market the team. Personally, I think in 2028, they'll be huge spenders. You know...mob stuff and all.
fc2112
So any word on what they plan to do after next season until 2028? Oakland doesn't want them and their AAA stadium in Vegas is outdoors.
DallasAg 94
fc2112 said:

So any word on what they plan to do after next season until 2028? Oakland doesn't want them and their AAA stadium in Vegas is outdoors.
Last I saw was they would split between AT&T/SFG and their AAA.
akm91
AG
Michael is just an awesome guy, super down to earth. When I first met him, he just introduced himself as Mike and worked for the Rangers. Never name dropped or anything. I see him periodically and he still remembers my name.

Super happy for him that the Rangers won the WS!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
DallasAg 94
akm91 said:

Michael is just an awesome guy, super down to earth. When I first met him, he just introduced himself as Mike and worked for the Rangers. Never name dropped or anything. I see him periodically and he still remembers my name.

Super happy for him that the Rangers won the WS!
You thought he was just a fan with a "Young" jersey?! Cleats didn't give it away.
Danny Vermin
I agree. I've met him a few times and he let's you beat him down with any Baseball/Ranger question you have.
akm91
AG
Well it would've been really weird to be wearing cleats at the pool, even if you're Michael Young
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
DallasAg 94
If I were a MLB player, I'd wear my hat, jersey and cleats everywhere. The pool. The beach.

I'd probably sleep in them.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

If I were a MLB player, I'd wear my hat, jersey and cleats everywhere. The pool. The beach.

That's just stupid.

Cleats need to be taken off in bed.
Aero Aggie 44
AG
For anyone that bought Game 6/7 tickets for the WS directly thru the Rangers, has anyone received a refund yet? TIA
AgBQ-00
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

DallasAg 94 said:

That's just stupid.

Cleats need to be taken off in bed.
If we learned anything from Major League is they are fantastic at dropping dresses.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Corey, you the real MVP!
Cappo
AG
MVP to me has to contribute to wins...
CampingAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

fc2112 said:

A team shouldn't be allowed to play if they don't have a home field.
DallasAg 94
CampingAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

fc2112 said:

A team shouldn't be allowed to play if they don't have a home field.
You know what would be badass... if we let them play their home games at Choctaw Stadium, formerly known as GLP.

We'd find out if the Metroplex could support 2 teams.
AggieEP
Best case scenario for me would be to find willing trade partners to take Heaney off of our hands and then to sign Yamamoto and Ohtani. Of course, right now I'm living in a fantasy world coming off of the World Series high.

But next year you'd have

Scherzer
Eovaldi
Yamamoto
Gray
Dunning

The following year you'd have

deGrom
Ohtani
Yamamoto
Gray
Dunning

The world series window to me is really only open for another 2-3 years with THIS GROUP of players, so you go for it hard in my opinion. It's not my money, and our 81 year old owner clearly wants to win.

You add Ohtani as the DH to this team, and the offense becomes a juggernaut like we've never seen before.
DallasAg 94
I haven't really looked at Yamamoto. He and Ohtani have different agents but I was thinking signing two Japanese players together might be a lure to say they could be teammates.

In terms of window, I think it may be longer than 2-3 with what we have.

If you look at the players in waves...below is when the players fall off the roster. If we sign Monty or Yamamoto (a SP) I've fully supported trading a SP like Heaney. Ensuring someone like Bradford continues to develop will help us insert younger internally developed players.

Ohtani at DH
Langford for Adolis

Through 2024
Scherzer, Heaney, Leclerc

Through 2025
Eovaldi (vO), Gray

Through 2026
Dunning, Sborz
Heim (C), Adolis (RF)

Through 2027:
deGrom, Bradford
Jung (3B), Seager (SS), Semien (2B), Lowe (1B),
Carter (LF), Taveras (CF)
AggieEP
Part of why I say the window is 2-3 more years is because our core wasn't the 2017 Astros core where everyone is 24-27 years old. Eovaldi is early 30s, deGrom mid 30s and Scherzer... well you get the idea. Semien was great this year, but I have a hard time seeing him be great for 4-5 more years. Adolis is already in his 30s.

This was a team built to win now, and they did it. There are potential reinforcements on the way, and I think a "new" window could open up built around Leiter, Rocker, Porter, Langford, Jung and Carter. But at this point, that's wishful thinking that enough of those guys will pan out as legit stars.

So if you want to win another World Series with THIS group of players, with Eovaldi and Semien playing big roles, and you have the money to add another piece or two to this team, I hope they do it. Even if it means some painful contracts 5-7 years from now. I think we have to remember that we now have exactly one world series championship ever, if another is in reach you have to go for it. You can't "be smart" or "let the process work." If a good ballplayer is out there, and we have the money, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Plus imagine the enthusiasm for this team if we sign Ohtani coming off of a World Series win. The contract might pay for itself in a couple of years with new fans, advertising, national exposure etc.
DallasAg 94
Don't take my comments as being against signing anyone.

I'd love to add Ohtani, Monty, and Hader. I think it would make the Rangers the early season favorites to compete with the O's for the AL in 2024.

alvtimes
Im not sure the timeframe will ever work but I hope the Rangers young pitchers (Leiter,Rocker, etc ) would earn a roster spot while Max and Eovaldi and those pitchers are still around. Learning in season game prep I think is much more valuable to a young pitcher than just being around them in spring training
First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.