*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,575 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

A bit off topic but I cannot find anything definitive. When do the A's start playing in Vegas. I've seen they expect the new stadium by 27, but I thought they were starting play there earlier in a temp stadium.

I'd think they'd bail this year if they could. Nothing good is going to come from being in Oakland.
fc2112
topoftexasag said:

Previous offseason years were so much easier for me to view every deal as purely business, now I have emotions attached to players from this special year and it makes looking at these decisions much more difficult.

That's what got us in trouble post 2012. We have to remain cold and calculating to keep winning.
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00 said:

A bit off topic but I cannot find anything definitive. When do the A's start playing in Vegas. I've seen they expect the new stadium by 27, but I thought they were starting play there earlier in a temp stadium.
I believe their current contract at The Coliseum expires after 2024, and costs $1.25M. So, after that.

It will be interesting to see if they start to load up on FAs heading into 2027, or if they have a full teardown with crap players in the final year of a crappy stadium.

They could really master "The Tank" strategy.
Tksymm7
AG
I would take Garver back, but only at about 10 million per year.
DallasAg 94
fc2112 said:

topoftexasag said:

Previous offseason years were so much easier for me to view every deal as purely business, now I have emotions attached to players from this special year and it makes looking at these decisions much more difficult.

That's what got us in trouble post 2012. We have to remain cold and calculating to keep winning.
How so?
Danny Vermin
I'll say it again but I think its too much money to spend on Ohtani. I want multiple players instead.

That said, how much did the Rangers make off of signing Yu Darvish? I know I went to several games he pitched and it was packed every time. I'm thinking the impact of Ohtani would be close to worth it but I'm not sure. Anyone have a clue on this?
fc2112
So the A's lease expires after 2024. But if they go to Vegas after that, they have to play in their minor league park, which is outdoors in 150 degree heat. That would be terrible.
South Platte
I guess you guys saw this earlier? I know I've posted his name, mostly joking, a few times, but surely he's worth a spring training invite.

https://www.si.com/mlb/giants/news/former-sf-giants-hero-madison-bumgarner-rangers-bruce-bochy-game-seven
fc2112
Finally got around to watching the Frontline special on the Astros cheating scandal in 2017. It's really quite well done.

Kinda funny watching it now know how their season ended.

Apparently AJ Hinch didn't like the system at all and beat up the video monitor with a bat a couple of times. Carlos Beltran was the real ringleader.

And the night Farquhar figured out the system, apparently it was a hair on fire emergency in the Astros dugout to get rid of the video set up before anyone could come over and look. And from that night forward, it apparently was never used again.

Watching this special clears up all the misinformation and obfuscation rolled out by Astro fans about "every one did it" and the what-aboutism of the Yankees and Red Sox.

Yeah, the 2017 World Series championship is dirty as hell.
DallasAg 94
South Platte said:

I guess you guys saw this earlier? I know I've posted his name, mostly joking, a few times, but surely he's worth a spring training invite.

https://www.si.com/mlb/giants/news/former-sf-giants-hero-madison-bumgarner-rangers-bruce-bochy-game-seven

Were you the one that suggested us signing him when he was released?

Man, if we signed him to the League Min, and AZ paid the remaining 8 figures... if he was able to turn it around...that would be a huge dagger to them.

He'd also be a nice addition.
DallasAg 94
I watched it a few months ago.

Lots of good stuff in there.
94chem
When your #1 catcher just won a GG, you can afford to go after offense for the #2 catcher. I'd really like Garver to catch about 30 games/year, DH 100, and play first about 10. PH for Carter, Taveras, or Lowe if needed.

179 games is a lot. You don't want Heim getting into a situation like Jim Sundberg did with Billy Martin, catching 150 games. At least we play indoors now.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
fc2112
Here's the guy I got a man crush on. Takes care of DH.

fc2112
Hahaha this is funny. Parody site.

birdman
Danny Vermin said:

I'll say it again but I think its too much money to spend on Ohtani. I want multiple players instead.

That said, how much did the Rangers make off of signing Yu Darvish? I know I went to several games he pitched and it was packed every time. I'm thinking the impact of Ohtani would be close to worth it but I'm not sure. Anyone have a clue on this?
I would rather get 2 or 3 good players instead of putting all the money into Ohtani.

There is a big pop from signing a huge international player. I think it's effect is less than normal because the Rangers will have plenty of enthusiasum from title.
DallasAg 94
birdman said:

Danny Vermin said:

I would rather get 2 or 3 good players instead of putting all the money into Ohtani.

There is a big pop from signing a huge international player. I think it's effect is less than normal because the Rangers will have plenty of enthusiasum from title.
I get the thinking, but I don't think that is where the Ragners are, today.

This was a lineup I suggested with Ohtani, I'll take him out:

1. Carter (L-LF): .306, 5 HR, 3 SB, 23 G
2. Semien (R-2B): .276, 29 HR, 14 SB, 162 G - AS, GG Finalist
3. Seager (L-SS): .327, 33 HR, 2 SB, 119 G - AS, GG Finalist
4. Adolis (R-RF): .245, 39 HR, 9 SB, 148 G - AS, Gold Glove
5. Ohtani (L-DH): .304, 44 HR, 20 SB, 135 G - AS, 2023 MVP?
5. Jung (R-3B): .266, 23 HR, 1 SB, 122 G - AS
6. <insert> (X-DH): Stats
7. Heim (S-C): .258, 18 HR, 2 SB, 141 G - AS, Gold Glove
8. Lowe (L-1B): .262, 17 HR, 1 SB, 161 G - Gold Glove
9. Taveras (S-CF): .266, 14 HR, 14 SB, 143 G

This is where we are with positional players...
Need a DH but could fill with Duran or Smith.
Need 4th OF - Could sign Jankowski?!
Need backup C - Could use Hedges

I think baseline for me is we sign Jankowski and Hedges on the cheap and call it a day Offensively. On a 1-10 scale, we could sign 3s (low) and still be fine. But, if we're going to add... I'd like to see us add to the Top.

Even if they drop off, we should be pretty competitive with this Offense and Defense.
rgag12
AG
I don't buy the Ohtani story. IMO the agent leaked a narrative to the press that Ohtani is interested in the rangers, (a team known for spending cash recently) to get the west coast teams to up their initial offers.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
rgag12 said:

I don't buy the Ohtani story. IMO the agent leaked a narrative to the press that Ohtani is interested in the rangers, (a team known for spending cash recently) to get the west coast teams to up their initial offers.

This is one of my thoughts as well. The other being that Ohtani wants to play for a winner. Texas MAY be building a machine. Every talking head out there is so high on CY right now it seems he can do no wrong. Players will want to be in Texas for the foreseeable future.

Now, I'm not saying we're building a dynasty after 1 WS Championship ( that phrase is just fun to type) but some in the media are saying it is a possibility.
Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
rgag12 said:

You are probably right.

And the thing is... the other 2 would be SFG and LAD. The LAD are pretty dysfunctional right now and are likely going on a buying binge. Dave Roberts is staying for 2024, but he has been a huge failure in the playoffs. There is no guarantee he'll even make it through 2024.

I'd put their locker room potential at a NYM or SDP level.
AgBQ-00
AG
Don't we have Hedges for next year? I thought I remembered he was still under contract
KT 90
AG
fc2112 said:

Here's the guy I got a man crush on. Takes care of DH.

any idea as to his estimated asking price?

ETA: but he'd be a nice to have, not a necessity imo. I'd rather spend on Montgomery and the bullpen. We could basically rotate the DH among several people, and use it to give players a day off in the field, while still keeping them in the lineup. The infield is set, but Duran needs some ab's; he can get some at DH and occasionally giving someone a day off in the field. We could do the same in the outfield.

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Another potential DH I'd like for us to look at is CJ Cron. I doubt he'll get a QO but can spell Lowe at 1st if needed.
Double Talkin' Jive...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Langford and Foscue are knocking on the door too. You don't need to drop big bucks on a DH.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
If that's the case then I wonder if they bring Hedges back. Do you take the no drop in defensive play for a black hole at the end of the lineup in the event Heim goes down?
DallasAg 94
Fresh off the presses:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/2023-24-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions.html

$44M per year for 12 years of Ohtani?! No thanks.

$18M per year for Hader? No thanks.

Montgomery for 6 at $25M.... I think that is in line with what I was expecting. At that price, I'm on the fence.

1. Shohei Ohtani. Twelve years, $528MM

2. Cody Bellinger. Twelve years, $264MM

6. Jordan Montgomery. Six years, $150MM

8. Josh Hader. Six years, $110MM

23. Mitch Garver. Three years, $39MM

24. Michael Wacha. Three years, $36MM

26. Rhys Hoskins. Two years, $36MM

33. Aroldis Chapman. Two years, $24MM

DannyDuberstein
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

If that's the case then I wonder if they bring Hedges back. Do you take the no drop in defensive play for a black hole at the end of the lineup in the event Heim goes down?

I think maybe the middle-ground. Find a backup C that isn't a black hole, but doesn't cost as much as Garver.

I still like Garver, but if resigning Garver means squeezing elsewhere like losing out on Monty or a quality reliever, then i find another answer for Garver. I think they likely need to spend that Garver money on the pen and let some younguns take the DH ABs
DeangeloVickers
AG
How in the world is that the market for Aroldis
DannyDuberstein
AG
12 year deals lol
Tksymm7
AG
For someone who's 30. He won't get 12 years, but we've got to get baseball out of mindset of paying 30+ year old players massive money for a decade or more. It's a horrible business model. Pay players while they are young.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Perez cost them $20 mill. So bumping $5mill to swap out Perez and in Monty is a no brainer to me
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I just assume at this point they're counting on the backend being a waste and throw it into an annuity or something.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's like financing a car for 84 or 96 months
Water Boy
AG
Hader is worth the money.
AgBQ-00
AG
Montgomery, Hader and Garver and go from there.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, last year's market decided Chapman was a 1 year, $4 million guy. And he really didn't turn out much different than the Chapman of the past few years. Can't trust him to close. Not sure what rationale goes from $4 to $12. seems off.
First Page Last Page
Page 9 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.