*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,643 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
caleblyn said:

Ian Kennedy retiring.
Here was Kennedy's agent when he tried to call.

Mr Gigem
AG
Sooo I'll be driving one of the players and their family in the parade today
DallasAg 94
So, you've got a case of 2023 WS baseballs for him to sign during the drive?!
Brad 98
AG
Could we trade Duran for some lower Minor league infielder prospects to be major league ready 3-5 years, and re-sign IKF? That's what I would do
DallasAg 94
If you were listening to The Fan, this morning... you were treated to the Great Randy Galloway.

And he laid a turd all over JDaniels.

"How much credit do you give JD?"

RG: "None. He is the only manager to keep his job for 6 straight losing seasons."

He backtracked a bit and said ok a little. He basically said that JD was so bad long enough that someone in the organization was bound to draft a good player or two and pick up a couple players off the trash heap.

Also said JD would never have hired Bochy.

He said he hired Wash because he thought he could control Wash and that Wash tricked him by actually managing the team.

RG basically said he knew CY when he was a player and that he hired baseball people to run the team. Said JD would have hired another Manger we never heard if so he could control the manager.

That's why RG was so awesome. Never seen a Columnist (retired) with such vitriol for a FO guy.
akm91
AG
Danny Vermin said:

No. He's 30 and brittle. Spend the money elsewhere.
Why do you say he's brittle? He's actually younger than Seager and has played many more games the last 3 years than Seager.

South Platte
I can't think about the off-season just yet. I've never watched so much baseball in my life.

CY and Bochy will do a great job this off-season. But it's going to be difficult.

1. What is the genuine quality of our bullpen? Did they get hot in October and it's a mirage or are they really good and had a cold streak? Change for the sake of change is not good.

2. Montgomery - was it live or was it Memorex?

3. Scherzer health.

4. Degrom return timing.

5. I assume Garver wants a full-time catching job. Great for him if he can land one, even if he has to go to a losing team. Can Duran/Langford/Taveras platoon in OF and DH?

6. Can Lowe catch up to the fastball (or maybe scoot closer to the plate for the love of god . . . )

So many more questions than just these so I'll stop.
Txhuntr
AG
Can I be the one that doesn't want any part of the Ohtani sweepstakes? At 29, his wear and tear seems to be catching up to him. I don't think he has much time left in his mlb pitching career, and I'm afraid the damage from his pitching will shorten his career as a position player with tons of injuries along the way.
akm91
AG
Ohtani's stats from last 3 years

2021: 158 games: .257/.352/.592 with 46 HR
2022: 157 games: .273/.356/.519 with 34 HR
2023: 135 games: .304/.412/.654 with 44 HR

Don't think he'll be a position player but I'd take those stats for our DH.
ChoppinDs40
AG
akm91 said:

can he play 1B?
fc2112
ChoppinDs40 said:

akm91 said:

can he play 1B?

He can learn. It's not hard.

Michael Cera Palin
AG
Txhuntr said:

Can I be the one that doesn't want any part of the Ohtani sweepstakes? At 29, his wear and tear seems to be catching up to him. I don't think he has much time left in his mlb pitching career, and I'm afraid the damage from his pitching will shorten his career as a position player with tons of injuries along the way.
I'm with you on that. As long as he lands somewhere outside the AL West (except the Angels who are professionals at losing with superstars) I'm ok with just enjoying him at a distance. His potential for pitching is going to factor into his cost, and I don't think he's going to be a very successful pitcher, by 2025 he'll be pushing 31 with 2 elbow surgeries already.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm still in disbelief the Angels held on to him at the deadline.
rebag00
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

They are a franchise in disarray. I was not surprised that they kept him because trading him would have been the smart baseball move. Keeping him through when he left was just a bandage on the gaping wound that is their rotting franchise.
South Platte
rebag00 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

They are a franchise in disarray. I was not surprised that they kept him because trading him would have been the smart baseball move. Keeping him through when he left was just a bandage on the gaping wound that is their rotting franchise.
I think they knew he had tweaked something and couldn't trade him since he probably couldn't pass a physical. So they kept pitching him anyway and then he really got hurt.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Y'all think Trout will want out of LAA?

Dude has had so many chances to get out but seems forever okay with showing up, playing 60 games a year and missing every playoffs.
twilly
AG
Make sure to invite them to the celebratory TexAgs Rangers Victory Party your organizing. Right?
akm91
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

akm91 said:

can he play LB?
FIFY
Legal Custodian
AG
fc2112 said:

To baseline things - our UFAs, followed by expected value - N/A if no expected value was quoted.

Jordan Montgomery SP/ SP2 - Age 30.8 - $18,407,467
Martin Perez SP/ SP5 - Age 32.5 - $10,567,887
Aroldis Chapman RP/ SU8 - Age 35.7 - $7,102,369
Will Smith RP/CL - Age 34.2 - $6,577,200
Chris Stratton RP - Age 33.2 - $4,516,185
Jake Odorizzi SP - Age 33.6 - N/A
Ian Kennedy RP - Age 38.8 - N/A

Mitch Garver C - Age 32 - $10,018,410
Robbie Grossman RF - Age 34.- $7,044,609
Austin Hedges C - Age 31.2 - $4,266,420
Brad Miller LF/ 2B - Age 34.0 - $2,254,033
Travis Jankowski LF - Age 32.3 - N/A

Player Option
Andrew Heaney SP - Age 32.3 - Option is $13,000,000, expected value is $13,751,337

Club Option
Jose Leclerc RP - Age 29.8 - Option is $6,300,000, expected value is $10,650,250
PITCHERS:
Out of all the pitchers, you go hard after Jordan Montgomery. But even then, I'm not sure he won't get a ridiculous deal somewhere else. We need some young blood in this rotation I think, so I wouldn't mind trying to make a trade or find someone else to be your 5th.

Heaney will exercise his option I have to believe and he is your 4th Starter until deGrom gets back in July moving him to your 5th. Our rotation on Opening Day I have to believe will be:

Eovaldi
Scherzer
Gray
Heaney
{Insert FA or Trade Pickup Here}

You thank Martin Perez for his time at Texas and your cardiologist thanks Aroldis but let them go find some magic elsewhere. Everyone else (maybe besides Stratton) you let walk without any hesitation.

You absolutely pick up Leclerc's option.

POSTION PLAYERS:
I would love to bring back Hedges, but his bat is such a huge liability that if we had another injury to Heim we would have to get on the trade market to find a serviceable replacement. I think you keep Garver if possible and he's your DH.

Would like to bring back El Blondi.

Honestly our lineup is pretty set, but trade Duran and someone else to get some pitching in your minor leagues and backfill on the market with another utility infielder.
J.P. 03
AG
Thankfully our bullpen performance in the playoffs has made this meme a little less relevant, but still…
fc2112
Keep in mind Jack Leiter and Owen White should be ready next year. And some other guys have really been coming on. Emiliano Teodo has been dominating Arizona fall league.
ChoppinDs40
AG
fc2112 said:

Keep in mind Jack Leiter and Owen White should be ready next year. And some other guys have really been coming on. Emiliano Teodo has been dominating Arizona fall league.
Leiter may never be ready, sadly.
KNM2020
AG
Parade is packed! Thank you boss for the vaca!
Roger Kint
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Sooo I'll be driving one of the players and their family in the parade today

It's Hedges, isn't it? We have to know…is he wearing the chaps?
JWinTX
ChoppinDs40 said:

fc2112 said:

Leiter may never be ready, sadly.

I've not given up on him. CY seemed to reprogram him and when he got back on the mound late in the summer, he was much better. That kid has a lot of potential and we have to have home turn into something solid for the Rangers.
Mr Gigem
AG

StoneCold99
AG
Mr Gigem said:

You better keep his wife's name out of your mouth.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Mr Gigem said:

My how the tables have turned. Think he'd jump in your truck if he read TexAgs?!
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Did you convince Will to stick around with his WS magic?
bdp514am
Do you go after Hader?
investorAg83
AG
fc2112 said:

I think Duran is another guy with no place on this team.

I think his positional flexibility alone guarantees him a spot on this team.
AgBQ-00
AG
Did y'all know Kershaw had shoulder surgery after they were eliminated?
South Platte
investorAg83 said:

fc2112 said:

I think Duran is another guy with no place on this team.

I think his positional flexibility alone guarantees him a spot on this team.
Sheesh. We just had the parade. Duran has no place on this team? Hopefully Texas can avoid writing off a 24 year old athletic freak just because Evan Carter had the greatest rookie 2 month splash in the history of MLB.

If this organization doesn't give Duran a couple of years to develop that would be a crime. Same with Taveras.
Brad 98
AG
Can we get more in return for Duran?
DallasAg 94
Dunning is likely you #4... maybe slot at #3.

If Heaney stays even at $20M... he needs a new agent.

He likely has teams lining up at a 2 yr deal for $30M+ total, I would think. Could get 3yrs

I think he is worth more to other teams.
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.