*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,316 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
MrCoachEricTaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Danny Vermin said:

We also wanted to run Sborz out of town. Wtf do we know.

And Leclerc! Well y'all, not me. I'm not one to brag and bring up petty stuff like this, but for this instance I will lol
bmac_aggie18
AG
We also wanted to run Will Smith out of town…oh wait still do!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

We also wanted to run Will Smith out of town…oh wait still do!
He hasn't left yet? Well what is he waiting for?!
Double Talkin' Jive...
AgBQ-00
AG
Ready to start hearing about some offseason moves.
DallasAg 94
I think the Winter Meetings are to start this weekend and Rule V is Monday, IIRC.

I think we'll start to see some pieces fall this weekend and a flurry of activity next week.

Personally, I think we'll continue to see some fringe players signed, then the 2 big pieces - Yamamoto and Ohtani. As teams realize they are no longer interested or in contention, they'll start to fill their rosters, but the other big FAs will likely wait until after those two.

Hopefully by the 15th, or so, most of the big names are locked. Then, I'd expect the horse trading to begin.
DallasAg 94
FWIW...

Blue Jays could be a surprise. If they are looking to add both Ohtani and Yamamoto, it might be why there is so much noise about Bo Bichette and Vlad Jr being traded. While it would dilute the O behind Ohtani, it could open up some other moves.

I'm surprised the Angels are "still in it." Maybe just in their own minds?!

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm not convinced anybody knows anything on Ohtani with certainty.
DallasAg 94
Because of the way he and his agent are handling things, there is very limited info, I agree.

Having said that... once a team is out, there is no harm in disclosing it.

But, we'll see.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Not directly, but I'd certainly let other teams still in it sit and wonder who all is out there.
DeangeloVickers
AG
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

FWIW...

Blue Jays could be a surprise. If they are looking to add both Ohtani and Yamamoto, it might be why there is so much noise about Bo Bichette and Vlad Jr being traded. While it would dilute the O behind Ohtani, it could open up some other moves.

I will take the Rangers being out on Ohtani as good news. I'd rather use those dollars on Montgomery and/or Hader, they are more of a necessity than Ohtani. Ohtani would obviously be a nice add, but that would cause issues for the overall budget imo.

KT 90
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

FWIW...

I will take the Rangers being out on Ohtani as good news. I'd rather use those dollars on Montgomery and/or Hader, they are more of a necessity than Ohtani. Ohtani would obviously be a nice add, but that would cause issues for the overall budget imo.

Having just won the WS... we get to sit here and believe the Front-Office knows what it is doing and not get worked up about who we get.

Regarding Hader... the radio was talking about some tweets from when he was 17 (in HS before being drafted) that surfaced when he was mid-20s. He apologized, but apparently there is still concern over backlash/attention or distraction it might cause. One was "KKK" another was "White Power" and another said "I hate gay people."

The indicated that Hedges might have some insight about him having been a teammate, but there was concern about his locker room presence. CY has been very vocal about the clubhouse culture and what he is trying to build. Not sure if Hader (or someone like Bauer) would be an option.

Hader has apologized and it was when he was still in HS.
Proposition Joe
I highly doubt a kid at grad school at Ohio State has the inside scoop on Ohtani.

Don't assume just because someone has a MLB in their name (or a blue check mark) that they are any kind of official souce/journalist.
rbtexan
S
Personally I hope it's accurate and that the Rangers aren't going to sign him. IMO the need for budget space to get players to replace injured or underperforming players far exceeds the need for Ohtani. We won the WS without him and with a fee tweaks we can do it again without him and the burden of his contract. He's a great player but it's really just gluttony wanting to sign him. Other needs should be addressed first. JMO
Jimbo Franchione
Danny Vermin
I'm good either way but if we don't get him, let's hope he goes to the NL.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Mr G, is there a coupon code for the 2024 single game ticket presale tomorrow?
topoftexasag
AG
Sounds crazy to not want the best player in the world, but I think addressing team needs is more important and I lean towards hoping they don't sign Ohtani as well.
Mr Gigem
AG
Not for presales. I will have one for 2024 though
Quincey P. Morris
AG
rbtexan said:

Personally I hope it's accurate and that the Rangers aren't going to sign him. IMO the need for budget space to get players to replace injured or underperforming players far exceeds the need for Ohtani. We won the WS without him and with a fee tweaks we can do it again without him and the burden of his contract. He's a great player but it's really just gluttony wanting to sign him. Other needs should be addressed first. JMO

If we get him I'll be excited, if we don't I'm not losing any sleep over it. That said, this is the dude's LinkedIn. Zero chance he knows anything.

DallasAg 94
I don't know anything about this guy, but who knows if any of that info is true or accurate?!

Wasn't Jamey Newburg a Law Student when he 1st started covering the Rangers?!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's not impossible he knows something. It's highly improbable though.
Water Boy
AG
With us out on shohei does that make signing monty a must?
DallasAg 94
I don't think so. I've been tempered on the idea of signing Monty. If we do a SP... he is the only one I'd like us to pursue. He is a want more than a need.

A couple RPs, a DH, and a backup C and we should be in good shape. I'm cool if we keep our powder dry until the Trade deadline. It would cost us prospects, potentially... but we would have the ability to take on salary to kisses the impact.
Water Boy
AG
Curious to see what we do at the DH spot. Garver would be perfect to fill in that dh and back up catcher role. The other side to that is we have guys that are already on the roster that can fill that DH role. Guys needing a day off from the field, Duran will need playing time, and Langford needs a spot when he's ready. It's fun knowing we have ownership that is willing to spend money but also have a lot of young guys that can contribute now. Next few seasons should be fun.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Not for presales. I will have one for 2024 though

Can you please post your email address again, please?

I'm lazy and can't find where you did it before. I'll end up buying a 20 game package from you. Hopefully that helps you
Mr Gigem
AG
jchance@texasrangers.com
ChoppinDs40
AG
Water Boy said:

Curious to see what we do at the DH spot. Garver would be perfect to fill in that dh and back up catcher role. The other side to that is we have guys that are already on the roster that can fill that DH role. Guys needing a day off from the field, Duran will need playing time, and Langford needs a spot when he's ready. It's fun knowing we have ownership that is willing to spend money but also have a lot of young guys that can contribute now. Next few seasons should be fun.

I want a real DH. Someone pitchers are scared of and can't pitch around when you've got Seager/Adolis around them.

Garver came up big in times this season but was not a traditional DH.
fc2112
DallasAg 94 said:

A couple RPs, a DH, and a backup C and we should be in good shape. I'm cool if we keep our powder dry until the Trade deadline. It would cost us prospects, potentially... but we would have the ability to take on salary to kisses the impact.
We are so ridiculously loaded at SP compared to most other teams. Right now we have

Eovaldi
Scherzer
Dunning
Gray
Heaney

I'm guessing there isn't another AL team that can roll out five quality starters right now.

Monty is a want, not a need. Our needs are - in order - bullpen help, more bullpen help, 2nd catcher, and DH.
fc2112
ChoppinDs40
AG
yes but 3 of those guys are gone the next year. Dunning and Gray are not top of the rotation playoff type pitchers. And there's no evidence to indicate we have any stud(s) in the minors that will be ready to contribute as SPs in the next year or 2.

Monty added to this staff will be SICK for this year but he'll be the #2 in 2025 behind deGrom (if he can actually stay healthy)... then you've got a couple 4s/5s.

Eovaldi will be a priority next offseason. Scherzer rides off into sunset. Retires as a Ranger.
akm91
AG
If we knew for sure deGrom will be completely healthy and back to his usual level of performance, I say take the gamble and go all in for Ohtanei.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
DallasAg 94
ChoppinDs40 said:

yes but 3 of those guys are gone the next year. Dunning and Gray are not top of the rotation playoff type pitchers. And there's no evidence to indicate we have any stud(s) in the minors that will be ready to contribute as SPs in the next year or 2.

Monty added to this staff will be SICK for this year but he'll be the #2 in 2025 behind deGrom (if he can actually stay healthy)... then you've got a couple 4s/5s.

Eovaldi will be a priority next offseason. Scherzer rides off into sunset. Retires as a Ranger.
Eovaldi has a vesting yr for 2025.

Dunning was our best SP the 1H23. My question is did he just tire? Was it the pressure? Fatigue? Did the league adjust to him the 2nd time through? Was he tipping his pitches?

I think Gray and Dunning are either going to emerge... or get traded as depth pieces for a team during the '24 season.

Bradford could emerge as this years '21-22 Dunning. I'm optimistic about some of our young emerging SP like OWhite. They need some Innings at the big league level.

BTW. Found these on Max. I didn't realize he pitched for the FW Cats. Him extending his contract and staying with Texas would be really nice.

DallasAg 94
ChoppinDs40 said:

Water Boy said:

I want a real DH. Someone pitchers are scared of and can't pitch around when you've got Seager/Adolis around them.

Garver came up big in times this season but was not a traditional DH.
I'm still trying to figure out how the DH role plays moving forward. I've always thought the NL had an advantage in the WS over the AL because when an AL team plays in the NL, the game changes when the P hits and you have to figure out what to do with a guy who DHs but is a liability in the field.

I felt we were at a disadvantage in our 1st two WS appearances.

Having Bochy... he was an old school NL coach that knew how to work the roster. During the season he would do things we questioned, but you had a feeling he was preparing players for roles and determining his confidence. He does that during the season, instead of giving a player their 1st big moment under duress.

The DBacks have shown the old school small ball has a place with the SBs, moving runners around and having the speed in the OF to improve Defense.

I would love Ohtani at DH... but if we worked Smith and Duran... they give us a flexibility like Jankowski gave us, where if you get someone hurt, you have someone to fill-in.
DallasAg 94
akm91 said:

If we knew for sure deGrom will be completely healthy and back to his usual level of performance, I say take the gamble and go all in for Ohtanei.
A 2025 rotation of:
deGrom
Eovaldi (option year)
Ohtani
Gray
Dunning

Would work for me.
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.