***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

846,770 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Farmer1906 said:

This may end up really helping the thread this year.

Turn a great baseball discussion thread into people trolling always for a player. Starts lots of discussions with people not in on the bit, derailing actual baseball talk. Yeah, great idea.

Trying to manufacture something that occurred naturally as part of the thread is a bit lame. So much great to discuss Astros wise, why create some distracting gimmick?

Or it helps negate the wild negativity that makes this thread unbearable.
Twisted Helix
I am officially worried about our starting pitching. A lock down 7-8-9 won't help a bit if you can't get there.
All I do is Nguyen
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

These takes really add to thread instead…

Has it been decided who is starting the season thread this year?
I offer my services again this year, I rather enjoy starting the season thread. If the board wants to move in a different direction then I will be the ultimate team player and pout in silence lol
MosesHallRAB04
AG
tjack16 said:

Latest update

Tjack16 - Javier
Farmer1906 - McCullers
MathGuy64 - Pressly
CFATXAG10 - Jose Abreu
RED AG 98 - Dubon
Lonestar_Ag09 - Jake Meyers
Deluxe - Blanco
Marvin - Framber alert
Bearkat15 - JP France
Beat40 - Montero
AgSportsFan89 - Singleton
Linkdude - Hunter Brown
Twisted Helix - Cabbage
DustyBaker - Julks
Bregxit - Hensley
n_touch - Pena
Prosperdick - Chas
Redline248 - Diaz
All I do is Nguyen - Garcia
iamtheglove - Urquidy
The Porkchop Express - Caratini
JABQ04 - Kessinger
West Roxbury - Mushinski
wangus12 - Hader
spadilly - Sousa
Wabs - Martinez
Teddy Perkins - Salazar
AggieJ2002 - Espada

Unclaimed: if there is anybody I missed on the 40 man let me know.

Might I propose a suggested edit. Nuke should have LMJ. Unless I'm remembering wrong his hatred of Lance was nothing short of spectacular. It's like he banged his GF or mom or something.
The Porkchop Express
You guys are assuming every single person is going to be on this thread non stop talking about their assigned guy. Cmon, really? It's going to be tongue in cheek humor if anything. I picked my guy less than 12 hours ago and I can't even remember his name, just that he's the backup catcher. When I'm online and he's playing, I'll say something, or if Diaz is 0-for-20, but this 'sky is falling' mentality is ridiculous. If we survived the Ranger fans' fear of the female form last October, surely we can survive a little in-board satire
All I do is Nguyen
The Porkchop Express said:

You guys are assuming every single person is going to be on this thread non stop talking about their assigned guy. Cmon, really? It's going to be tongue in cheek humor if anything. I picked my guy less than 12 hours ago and I can't even remember his name, just that he's the backup catcher. When I'm online and he's playing, I'll say something, or if Diaz is 0-for-20, but this 'sky is falling' mentality is ridiculous. If we survived the Ranger fans' fear of the female form last October, surely we can survive a little in-board satire
That incident shall forever be known as "The Fear of the Female", so it is written
agproducer
AG
Give me Loperfido.

I'm sure he'll be up at some point this year for a look. If not, I've lost nothing.

And +1 for Nguyen starting the thread.
Beat40
BMX Bandit said:

Farmer1906 said:

This may end up really helping the thread this year.

Turn a great baseball discussion thread into people trolling always for a player. Starts lots of discussions with people not in on the bit, derailing actual baseball talk. Yeah, great idea.

Trying to manufacture something that occurred naturally as part of the thread is a bit lame. So much great to discuss Astros wise, why create some distracting gimmick?

Do you think the baseball discussion will just stop?

Last year, because of the negativity, I would go 3-4 games without checking this thread during the game. Do you realize it got that bad? This thread was a beating during games. It was less baseball discussion and more *****ing.

You'd rather read the daily post(s) about how bad Jose Abreu, how bad his contract is, and he shouldn't be batting behind Tucker?

Anything that counteracts some of the negativity is absolutely welcome.

I hate offseason talk for the most part because contracts bore me, but it's been a vacation from what transpired on this thread during games last season.

Baseball talk isn't going away. It will still dominate the thread. It's just there may be a little light hearted banter now rather than the retread after retread.
Deluxe
AG
Does anyone want to pre-reserve Maldy for when we trade for him in July?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

tjack16 said:

Latest update

Tjack16 - Javier
Farmer1906 - McCullers
MathGuy64 - Pressly
CFATXAG10 - Jose Abreu
RED AG 98 - Dubon
Deluxe - Blanco
Marvin - Framber alert
Bearkat15 - JP France
Beat40 - Montero
Linkdude - Hunter Brown
Twisted Helix - Cabbage
DustyBaker - Julks
Bregxit - Hensley
n_touch - Pena
Prosperdick - Chas
Redline248 - Diaz
iamtheglove - Urquidy
JABQ04 - Kessinger
West Roxbury - Mushinski
wangus12 - Hader
spadilly - Sousa
Wabs - Martinez
Teddy Perkins - Salazar
AggieJ2002 - Espada

Might I propose a suggested edit. Nuke should have LMJ. Unless I'm remembering wrong his hatred of Lance was nothing short of spectacular. It's like he banged his GF or mom or something.

How long has it been since Nuke's name was uttered on this thread!?!
CFTXAG10
AG
Quote:

You'd rather read the daily post(s) about how bad Jose Abreu, how bad his contract is, and he shouldn't be batting behind Tucker?

Now you wait one damn minute
AustinCountyAg
I've been gone for a week. WTF are yall talking about?
The Porkchop Express
Today's Astros Sporcle quiz is Name 62 years of Opening Day Starting Pitchers

https://www.sporcle.com/games/tk925/astrosopeningdayp

I pulled 56 of 62 on this one, although I got a few right by guessing some common last names that I didn't really know. I did get everything from 1973-2001. If you get 2014, I am super impressed with you. This one is a good bit easier than yesterday as we've had quite a few guys make a lot of Opening Day starts.

texasaggie2015
AG
Without looking, is it Scott Feldman?
Deluxe
AG
48/62

I also did not get 2014.
texasaggie2015
AG
54/62. Missed on a few that were way before my time.
Farmer1906
AG
43/62. I found this one pretty difficult especially when you get before the mid 90s. However, I got '14.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Deluxe said:

Somebody could take him now and let us know whenever he hits a homer for the Sox or does something good offensively. Spoiler alert, it won't take much of your time.
The Porkchop Express
texasaggie2015 said:

Without looking, is it Scott Feldman?
Yup, well done, but I expect something less from the board savant.
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I get betting on yourself… but if I was Snell I would have taken the Yankees 5 year deal. Given how frequent pitchers are getting TJ and missing full seasons.. I'd take the financial security long term
The Porkchop Express
Prosperdick said:

Deluxe said:

Somebody could take him now and let us know whenever he hits a homer for the Sox or does something good offensively. Spoiler alert, it won't take much of your time.
I would chart his day to day, but I don't want BMX Bandit to yell at me.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I get betting on yourself… but if I was Snell I would have taken the Yankees 5 year deal. Given how frequent pitchers are getting TJ and missing full seasons.. I'd take the financial security long term
They 100% screwed up by not taking that deal. Same with Chapman turning down the Blue Jays extension. They were never going to get their ask no matter what Boras did. Too many flaws/red flags in the players. Take the best offer. Then it all dried up. Now it's short-term prove it deals. Snell just came off a Cy. He isn't going to be able to top that. Maybe Chapman has a big year, but he'll be entering his age-32 season. No mega deal is coming.
tjack16
AG
Anything before 1994 was a crapshoot of just throwing random names.

MaxPower
AggiEE said:

So I guess we're not interested in Montgomery?
Yeah I don't get it. It kind of concerns me Crane fixates on specific players. Either you need a good starter or you don't. I get chiming in on character concerns but that's not the case here. If anything Montgomery is the safer option because he has more consistently logged innings and doesn't walk a million people.
Bregxit
AG
42/62

Confession, I completely blanked out on Roy Oswalt so I missed most of the 2000s.

Got 3/8 in the 60s.
All but 2 of the 70s.
All 80s and 90s.
All 2015 to present.
JohnnyTexAg1995
tjack16 said:

Latest update

Tjack16 - Javier
Farmer1906 - McCullers
MathGuy64 - Pressly
CFATXAG10 - Jose Abreu
RED AG 98 - Dubon
Deluxe - Blanco
Marvin - Framber alert
Bearkat15 - JP France
Beat40 - Montero
Linkdude - Hunter Brown
Twisted Helix - Cabbage
DustyBaker - Julks
Bregxit - Hensley
n_touch - Pena
Prosperdick - Chas
Redline248 - Diaz
iamtheglove - Urquidy
JABQ04 - Kessinger
West Roxbury - Mushinski
wangus12 - Hader
spadilly - Sousa
Wabs - Martinez
Teddy Perkins - Salazar
AggieJ2002 - Espada
agproducer - Loperfido

Ill take Gary Pettis
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I got 54/62.

I got 2014 and missed 2013. Blanked out on 2001 and the early/mid 60s, but got everything from 1968 through 2000.
Bregxit
AG
Crazy that the 8 seasons in the 60s had 8 different guys.
The Porkchop Express
JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

Ill take Gary Pettis
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

Ill take Gary Pettis

I'll take Bobby Dynamite
Beat40
MaxPower said:

AggiEE said:

So I guess we're not interested in Montgomery?
Yeah I don't get it. It kind of concerns me Crane fixates on specific players. Either you need a good starter or you don't. I get chiming in on character concerns but that's not the case here. If anything Montgomery is the safer option because he has more consistently logged innings and doesn't walk a million people.

I think Monty is the safer option for sure, but his ceiling is much lower.

In my opinion, his last two years, except for the second half of last year, top out at a high end #2. His years before that are a #3. He's wanting a #1 contract. I have questions about who he really is. Is he the guy from before the last two years, is he the guy of the last two years, or is he the guy of the second half of last season? All of those are very different payouts.

I don't think he's worth that what he's currently seeking, I think teams agree with my assessment, and Boras is over playing his hand with Monty.

I'm fine with not being in on him unless the price comes down a lot.
Ag_07
AG
Anyone kinda think the FO dropped the ball on addressing the starting pitching?

Yeah JV, France, and now Urquidy had ST injuries, but Urquidy has a pretty lengthy injury history and given JV's age I'm a bit surprised we didn't add a starter early on in the offseason.

I don't know maybe they've been trying but it just kinda seems we're scrambling here at the last minute to make an addition with even less leverage.
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

Anyone kinda think the FO dropped the ball on addressing the starting pitching?

Yeah JV, France, and now Urquidy had ST injuries, but Urquidy has a pretty lengthy injury history and given JV's age I'm a bit surprised we didn't add a starter early on in the offseason.

I don't know maybe they've been trying but it just kinda seems we're scrambling here at the last minute to make an addition with even less leverage.

I think if JV comes back mid April then we will be fine. But I worry about our rotation's health and would personally love if we signed Montgomery to a 2 year deal with an opt out after this year
First Page Last Page
Page 299 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.