***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,086 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want that

The Porkchop Express
AG
Angels should have really considered an off-season "accident' to disappear Rendon and another $100 million to throw at Shohei
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

Mic check...is this thing on?
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
Hard to tell in that video... is that Abreu & Alvarez?
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I thought he hadn't played in a really long time
cc10106
I wonder what Rendon's tune would be like playing for Jim Crane. Moreno is a terrible owner that should have sold the Angels already, but I guess the price wasn't right last year. I couldn't imagine an Astro ever saying something like that, but the culture here is also different from most teams and a big reason why the winning continues.

I wish every Astro fan understood how good they have it and maybe not complain every time the urge arises.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Sandoval hit .178 at age 34 for the Braves in 2021.
Prosperdick
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Rendon has made $129.9 million since 2020 for the Angels.

That means they have paid:

$722,266 per hit
$5.876 million per home run (22 in 4 years, dazzling)
$1.164 million per RBI
$32.3 million per stolen base. He's had 4 in 4 years after averaging 8-10 a year for the Nationals.

WAR per year:
2020 (COVID) 2.2
2021: 0.0
2022: 0.9
2023: 0.1

That reads like the scene from Animal House when Dean Wormer reads out their midterm grades.

That's damn near Jimboesque! Too soon?
Red Five
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It's definitely Alvarez, you can tell by the way he moves. I would assume Abreu is the only guy on the roster who physically is in the same ballpark so that tracks.
Marvin
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I want that

That's a nice hat. Unfortunately, I've been told to throw three away for every new Astros hat I buy.

something... something... obsessed... intervention.... something.
cc10106
Nice BP hat. I did well only buying a couple new ones last year, but I'd like to see more options like the dri-fit material become available.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Red Five said:

Farmer1906 said:

It's definitely Alvarez, you can tell by the way he moves. I would assume Abreu is the only guy on the roster who physically is in the same ballpark so that tracks.

texasaggie2015
AG
I'm back but will likely cut down on the posting a lot. I'm going to bite my tongue because if they're going to ban me for 12 months for accidentally posting on a wrong thread they'll probably permaban me if I say what I want to say.

Apparently I "broke a very well known rule on the baseball board". The only rule I'm aware of is no trolling- and I very clearly was not trolling. It was the post about Verlander saying he felt good about his arm but McTaggart wrote "farm" and I was joking about it. It had nothing to do with the Rangers.

Also... if that Mr Gigem guy posts here (which he has numerous times) or any of them for that matter red flag it like crazy. He basically led the charge to getting me banned for literally nothing. The whole thing is just so childish and nuts.

It would be one thing if I had a history of trolling. I've never done that and I've never been banned. I've actually been vocal on here about the select few of folks on here who do it and how it makes us all look bad.

I know the easy answer is to double check before posting- and I will. I should have done that to begin with and that's my fault. But I truly (and very obviously) had no intent to troll or break any rule and the mods obviously didn't care to check. I also think those who "false flag" a post for trolling should get the same ban.

Anyway- just had to get that off my chest. I'll be around but like I said I'll probably be using this site a lot less often going forward.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I got 1 hour of sleep last night and I turn 50 tomorrow. I'm having lots of explosive thoughts on a nuke of those dummies thread right now.
Red Five
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I know the easy answer is to double check before posting- and I will. I should have done that to begin with and that's my fault. But I truly (and very obviously) had no intent to troll or break any rule and the mods obviously didn't care to check. I also think those who "false flag" a post for trolling should get the same ban.

Gonna have to disagree with you, there. The easy answer is for the geniuses that moderate this forum to stop making stupid-ass decisions and banning people over nothing.
superaggie73
AG
Red Five said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Gonna have to disagree with you, there. The easy answer is for the geniuses that moderate this forum to stop making stupid-ass decisions and banning people over nothing.

I agree completely…almost like the mods are trying to make sure Texags doesn't make any money. Less traffic means less money. I wonder how Billy feels about his mods trying to ruin his product.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I still love how we all got bans and posts deleted by the hundreds for posting hot women pictures in the ALCS after doing the same thing for the last 1,000+ games.
All I do is Nguyen
Marvin said:

RED AG 98 said:

I want that

That's a nice hat. Unfortunately, I've been told to throw three away for every new Astros hat I buy.

something... something... obsessed... intervention.... something.
Women can be such buzz killers
No matter what!
Farmer1906
AG

The Springer contract wasn't terrible for the Jays, but its looking like a savvy move 4 years later from the Astros.

Quote:

The Toronto Blue Jays will be deliberate with outfielder George Springer in the 2024 season, per manager John Schneider. Schneider said the team plans to cycle Springer in more at designated hitter in the 2024 season but will also give him his fair share of days off to maintain his health.
Here is where his value is per fangraphs

2021: 2.5 WAR ($20.3 M), 140 wRC+, 78 games
2022: 4.3 WAR ($34.2 M), 133 wRC+, 133 games
2023: 2.2 WAR ($17.4 M), 104 wRC+, 154 games

2024, '25, & '26 will be age 34, 35, and 36 seasons.

He needs to average about 3.2 - 3.3 WAR per season to meet the value of his contract. I am going to guess that aint happening.

texasaggie2015
AG
Basically this is what needs to happen:

- People who false flag a post for trolling need to be banned

- If erroneously posting on the wrong thread with good intentions will get you banned for 12 months, they have to have a feature where you can hide certain threads

- I'm sure people have trolled and then edited their post to say they posted on the wrong thread. But the mods have to do a better job of looking at things case by case.. especially with a 12 month ban on the line

Just my two cents.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
superaggie73 said:

Red Five said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I agree completely…almost like the mods are trying to make sure Texags doesn't make any money. Less traffic means less money. I wonder how Billy feels about his mods trying to ruin his product.
Given the focus and main product of this site is A&M athletics, I doubt he nor the other owners really pay much attention to how the MLB forums are moderated. At best, there is incredible inconsistency. At worst, specific groups are outright targeted for rather innocent mistakes.
texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

superaggie73 said:

Red Five said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Given the focus and main product of this site is A&M athletics, I doubt he nor the other owners really pay much attention to how the MLB forums are moderated. At best, there is incredible inconsistency. At worst, specific groups are outright targeted for rather innocent mistakes.
The tone of the warning they gave me and everything else seemed very personal and targeted. It was very odd.
Prosperdick
AG

I still love how we all got bans and posts deleted by the hundreds for posting hot women pictures in the ALCS after doing the same thing for the last 1,000+ games.
The gif I think of when I think of rangerette fans getting their panties in a bunch:
All I do is Nguyen

Let's not rehash this again. I caught the ban hammer for this reason, but like I said chatted with mods behind the scenes and got reinstated. I agree with you the double standard was ridiculous. We will find out this season if those new restrictions and rules are going to stay in place, or if we will be allowed to go back to the "good ol' days".

If I make the season thread again this year, I may test the waters on that
No matter what!
Breggy Popup
AG
Email brandon@texags.com and voice your thoughts. It will not change unless he says so.
Bonnettecj1
It's clear the mods are fans of the Rangers.
CFTXAG10
AG
Bonnettecj1 said:

It's clear the mods are fans of the Rangers.
But we were deliberately told otherwise
The Porkchop Express
AG
I think someone, potentially me, although my own rope is pretty short, needs to start about 50 other threads with very specific content.

Offical Astros-Rangers Trash Talk Thread but you can only talk trash about the Rangers

Official Astros-Rangers Trash Talk Thread but you can only talk trash about the Astros

Official Astros-Rangers Trash Talk Thread but you can only talk trash about the New York Rangers

Official, I Am Not Sure I'm in the Right Thread so Here's my Baseball Post for Now

Official I Just Got Banned but I Got Up Again and Staff's Never Going to Keep Me Down: A Chumbawumba Retrospect Thread

Official Adolis Garcia is only two letters away being named Adolf Thread

Official Scott Coolbaugh Had Sex with Laura Bush Rumor Mill Thread

Official Colt .45s - Washington Senators Thread - All trash talk must take place between the 1962-1965 seasons

Official Arlington Stadium was Hotter than the Surface of the Sun Thread: A Porkchop Theory

Official I'm A Ranger Fan reading the Astros Thread and I'm Going to go Back and report this post like the ***** that I am

and so on

EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

- If erroneously posting on the wrong thread with good intentions will get you banned for 12 months, they have to have a feature where you can hide certain threads

- I'm sure people have trolled and then edited their post to say they posted on the wrong thread. But the mods have to do a better job of looking at things case by case.. especially with a 12 month ban on the line

Just my two cents.
The hiding of threads is a good idea, and not just for this case. The unfortunate thing is it probably wouldn't be available for non-subscribers (following the pattern of hiding posts from a specific user), so there would be a sizable chunk of the population who would still be vulnerable to the same mistake.
Prosperdick
AG

I think someone, potentially me, although my own rope is pretty short, needs to start about 50 other threads with very specific content.

Offical Astros-Rangers Trash Talk Thread but you can only talk trash about the Rangers

Official Astros-Rangers Trash Talk Thread but you can only talk trash about the Astros

Official Astros-Rangers Trash Talk Thread but you can only talk trash about the New York Rangers

Official, I Am Not Sure I'm in the Right Thread so Here's my Baseball Post for Now

Official I Just Got Banned but I Got Up Again and Staff's Never Going to Keep Me Down: A Chumbawumba Retrospect Thread

Official Adolis Garcia is only two letters away being named Adolf Thread

Official Scott Coolbaugh Had Sex with Laura Bush Rumor Mill Thread

Official Colt .45s - Washington Senators Thread - All trash talk must take place between the 1962-1965 seasons

Official Arlington Stadium was Hotter than the Surface of the Sun Thread: A Porkchop Theory

Official I'm A Ranger Fan reading the Astros Thread and I'm Going to go Back and report this post like the ***** that I am

and so on

I got 3 days for just posting an umpire scorecard with ZERO commentary....someone else will need to do it.
All I do is Nguyen

and so on
I am 1000% behind these threads
No matter what!
CFTXAG10
AG
The fact that moderation, as a topic, has even come to this level of concern is next level idiocy. What's worse, the way to fix it is entirely simple.

1) Don't ban users unless they clearly cross a line (personal attacks, obvious trolling, etc.)
2) Bans for nudity not for scantily clad women. We are all adults here.
3) Evaluate your mods, and weed out the trash that clearly can't handle the position
The Porkchop Express
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

The fact that moderation, as a topic, has even come to this level of concern is next level idiocy. What's worse, the way to fix it is entirely simple.

1) Don't ban users unless they clearly cross a line (personal attacks, obvious trolling, etc.)
2) Bans for nudity not for scantily clad women. We are all adults here.
3) Evaluate your mods, and weed out the trash that clearly can't handle the position

What about the men?

All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
MosesHallRAB04
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Just my two cents.

Or just nuke the rangers thread. Problems only started when that poop stain of an organization had a relevant season and their fans actually posted on this site.

Saying this slightly tongue in cheek.
First Page Last Page
Page 243 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.