***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,420 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
suburban cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We should sign Trevor Bauer
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hard pass.
suburban cowboy
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Hard pass.
Why?

He'd immediately make us a better team.
Beat40
suburban cowboy said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Hard pass.
Why?

Because you have to deal with the same **** as when the 'Stros traded for Osuna. There is no guarantee he performs at an MLB level after so much time away from MLB. It's a risk for a huge headache.

I'm with most on this board. Pass.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
suburban cowboy said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Hard pass.
Why?

No, he actually wouldn't. He's basically the 2021 version of Jake Odorizzi with baggage.

1. Garbage human being (and he was before all the allegations came out)
2. Horrible publicity move (see point 1)
3. He hasn't pitched at all in MLB since the sticky stuff ban went into effect. His stats while with the Reds and Dodgers were heavily boosted by him using now illegal substances. He'll revert back to how he was towards the end of his tenure with Cleveland, which was a mediocre league-average pitcher.

If some other team wants to take a risk on him, I think that's a mistake, but they can make that mistake. I don't want him anywhere near the Astros, and this media tour he's on begging for someone to sign him is pretty pathetic.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

My wildcard pick to sneak on the roster in the bullpen.

Is Blublaugh the love child of Vida Blue and Scott Coolbaugh?
AustinCountyAg
EastCoastAgNc said:

suburban cowboy said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Hard pass.
Why?

No, he actually wouldn't. He's basically the 2021 version of Jake Odorizzi with baggage.

3. He hasn't pitched at all in MLB since the sticky stuff ban went into effect. His stats while with the Reds and Dodgers were heavily boosted by him using now illegal substances. He'll revert back to how he was towards the end of his tenure with Cleveland, which was a mediocre league-average pitcher.

If some other team wants to take a risk on him, I think that's a mistake, but they can make that mistake. I don't want him anywhere near the Astros, and this media tour he's on begging for someone to sign him is pretty pathetic.

"Garbage human being"???? Pretty strong considering you've never met the guy and know nothing about him.

I'd be all for signing him. Cy young winner within the last five years who you could get a league minimum? Why wouldn't you sign him would be the question most need to ask themselves. If he becomes a problem or a distraction you cut him. It's that simple. The way he was screwed ofer by the media and MLB and everything he had to go through he deserves another shot.
BCEDAg
AG
Jordan Montgomery would be a nice addition to the pitching staff. Rangers are done signing free agents and after the signing of Hader it wouldn't be surprising if Crane opens his pocketbook again. With Verlander, France, McCullers and Garcia having injury issues nothing is guaranteed as far rotation starters being healthy during the entire season.
htxag09
AG
Isn't this the guy who talked quite a bit of trash about the Astros from his high horse? Didn't he also then go on a podcast and talk about how all other pitchers are using sticky stuff and if he used it he could increase his rpm and velocity by x%? Then didn't he increase his velocity and rpm by about x% the following year and get suspended for sticky stuff? But it was ok for him because everyone was doing it?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

suburban cowboy said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Hard pass.
Why?

"Garbage human being"???? Pretty strong considering you've never met the guy and know nothing about him.

I'd be all for signing him. Cy young winner within the last five years who you could get a league minimum? Why wouldn't you sign him would be the question most need to ask themselves. If he becomes a problem or a distraction you cut him. It's that simple. The way he was screwed ofer by the media and MLB and everything he had to go through he deserves another shot.
I know enough about him to make a judgement on his character. There are plenty of people in the world who I don't need to meet to know they're garbage human beings.

He is a massive PR and clubhouse problem the moment he puts pen to paper on any contract, so by the standard you laid out, he shouldn't be signed to begin with. Whether you like it or not, it seems like the owners and teams will systematically blackball him from playing in the league again.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to argue with you, but don't mistake that for me agreeing with you at all. I stand by what I said.
suburban cowboy
AG
I watched his podcast with Theo Von. He seems like a good human.
All I do is Nguyen
BCEDAg said:

Jordan Montgomery would be a nice addition to the pitching staff. Rangers are done signing free agents and after the signing of Hader it wouldn't be surprising if Crane opens his pocketbook again. With Verlander, France, McCullers and Garcia having injury issues nothing is guaranteed as far rotation starters being healthy during the entire season.
I mentioned this earlier in the offseason and everyone, me included, were under the assumption he would cost too much and the Rangers would most likely keep him. If he is willing to take less money I am all for bringing him on
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Twisted Helix
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
MLB.com Offseason Recap

Quote:

Astros
2023: 90-72 (1st place)

Key additions: LHP Josh Hader, C Victor Caratini

Key departures: OF Michael Brantley, C Martn Maldonado, RHP Hector Neris, RHP Phil Maton, RHP Ryne Stanek, RHP Kendall Graveman (injury)

Offseason focus: With three key relievers who accounted for one-third of the bullpen's innings last year hitting free agency, and Graveman undergoing season-ending surgery, bolstering the bullpen was the top focus. The signing of Hader fortifies the back end, though there's not the proven depth they had last year. Also, with Yainer Diaz taking over as starting catcher, the team needed a backup and signed Caratini for that role.

Biggest question: Is Jake Meyers up to the job? The Astros have struggled to find a consistent presence in center field since George Springer left in free agency, and this year they're going to see what Meyers can do as the starter out of the gate. Meyers is a great defensive outfielder, but has yet to put it all together at the plate.
Farmer1906
AG
Fangraphs Power Rankings

Tier 1 - Preseason Favorites
Braves
Dodgers
Astros

Quote:

The Astros remain the class of the American League despite a pretty quiet offseason. They addressed their biggest pitching need last summer when they reacquired Justin Verlander, though it remains to be seen how long he can fight off Father Time. Houston's one big addition this offseason was to bring in Josh Hader to strengthen an already elite bullpen and help shorten games even further. The Astros also signed Jose Altuve, the face of their franchise, to a five-year extension that should keep him in Houston through the end of his career. With the rest of the AL playoff picture looking very crowded right now, the Astros stand above the fray as preseason favorites.

Tier 2 - The AL Battlezone
Yankees
Rays
Twins
Blue Jays
Mariners
Orioles

Quote:

It was a long and winding road, and some of the individual moves didn't necessarily make much sense in a vacuum, but the Mariners managed to red paper clip their way into a roster that looks roughly as talented as their squads from the past three seasons. Thanks to a young and talented pitching staff, Seattle is projected to have the best run prevention unit in baseball. That strength alone gives them a shot at toppling the Astros for the top spot in their division. Capping off their revamped lineup with Jorge Polanco gives their offense another middle-of-the-order hitter to help support Julio Rodrguez. They could use one more bat to lengthen their lineup, but that doesn't seem likely.

Tier 3 - Solid Contenders
Red Sox
Diamondbacks
Cardinals
Phillies
Rangers

Quote:

It's weird to see the Rangers this low in the rankings, but they've had a relatively quiet offseason for a team that just won a World Series. That said, they can look forward to their lineup continuing to be one of the league's best, with a full season of Evan Carter and the eventual debut of Wyatt Langford. The problem is their pitching staff. Max Scherzer, Jacob deGrom, and Tyler Mahle are all expected to return from their respective injuries during the second half of the season. That should give them a formidable playoff rotation should they reach the postseason again, but the onus is on their healthy starters to hold down the fort for the first three months of the season.
Ag_07
AG
When discussing Trevor Bauer I take all of the sexual assault out of the conversation because that was BS. Dude was railroaded big time. That's not why I wouldn't touch him.

The dude is a headache and a ticking time bomb. Everywhere he's been going back to HS he's had issues with everyone. It's just a matter of time before he goes off.

Here's a video full of reasons why I wouldn't want this guy anywhere near my team's clubhouse.

Wabs
AG
How about we pass on Bauer and sign Montgomery
AustinCountyAg
I understand your point, and the one from the previous poster.

However, since he was railroaded by MLB, and had to go to Japan, and all the other B.S. I feel like you would literally get the best version of him possible on the cheapest (minimum) deal possible. He is literally playing for his career and a chance again on what would basically be considered a contract year fighting for a legit contract. Sign me the hell up on that situation. He knows everything he does will be under a microscope and I guarantee he is going to STFU and just pitch.....and guess what if he doesn't you cut him. no harm no foul. All at league minimum.

With the question marks around our staff I'd give him a shot.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The only path I see for Bauer back to the majors is for some team to lose a front-line pitcher to a season-ending injury and sign him to a minor-league deal and put him at Triple-A. Give him 2-3 starts. If he's got great stuff, they bring him up and tell the media - that he's on a start-by-start basis with a short leash.

It's not just the sexual assault allegations for him, it's a long list of annoyances and behavioral problems. Like everyone else, he enjoys freedom of speech, but when your use of that privilege continues to make your employer look bad, it rapidly reduces the number of chances that teams want to give you. He's had 3 women accuse him of sexual assault - including one before the famous one who got a restraining order against him. He sicced his social media followers on a college student after she said he was "her least favorite person" in a Tweet and kept tweeting at her for 12 straight hours and telling his 134,000 followers to do likewise. That was in 2019.

He was 5-4 with a 1.73 ERA in 2020 with the Reds and 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA in 2021. That's really good. But it was also 3 years ago. If he's so hell-bent on pitching in the majors, where are the public workouts and the YouTube videos of him throwing bullpen sessions? Why is it that ZERO teams seem interested in him?

The guy reminds me of late career Dennis Rodman when he was bouncing around with the Mavericks and the Lakers. Yeah he might still get you 12 rebounds a couple of nights a week, but is it really worth all his bull*****

AustinCountyAg
The Porkchop Express said:

The only path I see for Bauer back to the majors is for some team to lose a front-line pitcher to a season-ending injury and sign him to a minor-league deal and put him at Triple-A. Give him 2-3 starts. If he's got great stuff, they bring him up and tell the media - that he's on a start-by-start basis with a short leash.

It's not just the sexual assault allegations for him, it's a long list of annoyances and behavioral problems. Like everyone else, he enjoys freedom of speech, but when your use of that privilege continues to make your employer look bad, it rapidly reduces the number of chances that teams want to give you. He's had 3 women accuse him of sexual assault - including one before the famous one who got a restraining order against him. He sicced his social media followers on a college student after she said he was "her least favorite person" in a Tweet and kept tweeting at her for 12 straight hours and telling his 134,000 followers to do likewise. That was in 2019.

He was 5-4 with a 1.73 ERA in 2020 with the Reds and 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA in 2021. That's really good. But it was also 3 years ago. If he's so hell-bent on pitching in the majors, where are the public workouts and the YouTube videos of him throwing bullpen sessions? Why is it that ZERO teams seem interested in him?

The guy reminds me of late career Dennis Rodman when he was bouncing around with the Mavericks and the Lakers. Yeah he might still get you 12 rebounds a couple of nights a week, but is it really worth all his bull*****

that's actually a pretty damn spot on comparison. with that said, someone will prolly take a chance on Bauer because Rodman always seemed to find a way to find a team.
Farmer1906
AG
What would Jeff Luhnow do?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Yeah but - Rodman's post bulls career was:

https://www.sportscasting.com/dennis-rodman-humiliated-dirk-nowitzki-mavericks-ill-fated-run-dallas/

The Lakers fired former head coach Del Harris just before Rodman arrived and ultimately settled on Kurt Rambis. Rodman struggled to coexist with Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal, and he lasted just 23 games with the Purple and Gold until LA released him. He did not play another game in the lockout season. Still, Worm's career had yet to reach its conclusion.

The Mavericks signed Rodman to a one-year deal in February 2000. After 12 games, the relationship came to an end. Dallas hoped that Demolition Man would help them fight for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference, but the Mavs went 3-9 with Rodman on the floor. He never played in the NBA again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
On a lighter note, I'm writing a short fantasy novella for a guy in Kuwait today and I'm using some obscure Astro names (first or last) to populate some of the minor characters. If anyone has a suggestion, please throw one out.
Farmer1906
AG
He was also 37-38 which is fairly ancient for bball. He could still grabs some boards but his never great offense got worse and his elite defense wasn't so elite anymore.

I'm not advocating for or against Bauer, just that I think he's got more in the tank. If Dennis was still a top 5 defender & shooting 50%, not 35% then he likely played more in the late 90s/early 00s.
Wabs
AG

On a lighter note, I'm writing a short fantasy novella for a guy in Kuwait today and I'm using some obscure Astro names (first or last) to populate some of the minor characters. If anyone has a suggestion, please throw one out.
Joe Sambito
The Porkchop Express
AG
There is now a servant named Sambito in this book.
Mr.Bond
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

jkag89
suburban cowboy said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Hard pass.
Why?

How many times are we going to have this conversation? His possible upside is not worth the risk of his likely downside. IMO one of strengths of the 'Stros is a strong camaraderie in the club house. We don't need that cancer on our team.
1836er
AG

Bob Aspromonte
Doug Rader
MaxPower
The Astros have their St Patrick's Day hats available. Not a huge deal but they do sellout relatively quickly so if you are into that recommend grabbing it early.

https://www.mlbshop.com/houston-astros/caps/mens-houston-astros-new-era-white/green-2024-st-patricks-day-39thirty-flex-fit-hat/t-36112029+d-2394779903+f-9131503628+z-9-3207309558?utm_medium=cse&_s=ak1944mlb-pla&sku=201227841&targetid=targetid&targetid=pla-2305504144484&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAibeuBhAAEiwAiXBoJGSXHBBqWWiwtu_DP_RpOjeJ9aCvW0iMHHeV7aO3BAhDgWyQCAK6MxoCNuQQAvD_BwE
MaxPower
I just can't imagine being a 37 year old catcher starting on a new team that is going to be bad after playing on a perennial WS contender. Think I'd rather retire or be a backup on a contender.
Marvin
AG

Lemongello
Dickie
Omar

texasaggie2015
AG
He loves baseball. I imagine he's exactly what that franchise needs as far as leadership goes.
texasaggie2015
AG

Chuck Carr
First Page Last Page
Page 232 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.