***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,563 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The rest of the East better look out. The cheap owner is out counting his profits.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Beau Holder said:

Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

Two major leaguers and two prospects and cash considerations for … Jorge Polanco's age 30/31 and 31/32 seasons?
With how mediocre the players given up were and how above average (not great) Polanco is, I am not even sure which side you're trying to make fun of.

Everyone involved.
Now that I suffer from what my daughter calls "old man syndrome" I have no problem admitting I thought this was Placido Polanco at first.

Turns out he retired in 2013 and is only a year younger than me.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Fairview20
AG
All of his high school friends went to A&M/UT, and he was bouncing between living In Houston, Austin, and SA all throughout that time visiting all those friends all the time. Definitely a perfect storm of distractions for a high school prospect. Would be curious to see if it would've been different had he been from Illinois or something.
Terminus Est
Bregxit said:

Ag_07 said:

I'm not really pissed at anyone. Just sucks Lance is constantly dealing with injuries.

Also when it comes to Lance schedules are worthless because he may be on schedule now but that'll probably change next week then again during Spring Training then again at the ASB.

Just let me know when he's activated.

Again, that's because medical ****ed up. It's not that he is fragile, it is that they didn't fix everything that was injured AND missed the bone spur last year until the summer.

He was rehabbing and trying to come back with a still (unbeknownst to him) damaged elbow. So if the docs have it right this time, I think he'll be back on time and be fine.

How can you not say he's fragile? This is his history:

2016- starts season on disabled list with shoulder discomfort, only throws 81 IP

2017- two stints on the disabled list, throws 118 IP

2018- makes 22 starts, lands on DL for over a month, comes back in relief has Tommy John after season and misses all 2019. Throws 128 IP in '18

2020- pitches 55 IP due to Covid season

2021- best season, throws 162 IP but season ends in playoffs due to forearm injury

2022- starts season on DL with forearm and tendon strain only throws 47 IP

2023- misses entire season due to bone spurs in pitching arm.

If that ain't fragile I don't know what is

Post removed:
by user
The Porkchop Express
AG
Terminus Est said:

Bregxit said:

Ag_07 said:

I'm not really pissed at anyone. Just sucks Lance is constantly dealing with injuries.

Also when it comes to Lance schedules are worthless because he may be on schedule now but that'll probably change next week then again during Spring Training then again at the ASB.

Just let me know when he's activated.

Again, that's because medical ****ed up. It's not that he is fragile, it is that they didn't fix everything that was injured AND missed the bone spur last year until the summer.

He was rehabbing and trying to come back with a still (unbeknownst to him) damaged elbow. So if the docs have it right this time, I think he'll be back on time and be fine.

How can you not say he's fragile? This is his history:

2016- starts season on disabled list with shoulder discomfort, only throws 81 IP

2017- two stints on the disabled list, throws 118 IP

2018- makes 22 starts, lands on DL for over a month, comes back in relief has Tommy John after season and misses all 2019. Throws 128 IP in '18

2020- pitches 55 IP due to Covid season

2021- best season, throws 162 IP but season ends in playoffs due to forearm injury

2022- starts season on DL with forearm and tendon strain only throws 47 IP

2023- misses entire season due to bone spurs in pitching arm.

If that ain't fragile I don't know what is

Tjack16 = Black Knight

BadAggie
AG
Bellinger is there if Crane isn't done.

BadAggie
AG
Surely this is the last chance for Forrest Whitley.
Beat40
BadAggie said:

Not at the price Belli wants. You willing to come close to his asking price of >=$200MM for 7/8 years and hope his performance last year is what you will get for at least 50% of the contract?
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen
It's obviously the Astros because why not
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
The Porkchop Express
AG
Beat40 said:

BadAggie said:

Not at the price Belli wants. You willing to come close to his asking price of >=$200MM for 7/8 years and hope his performance last year is what you will get for at least 50% of the contract?
Give him the deal he wants but he has to write a book called "I was Wrong: My open Apology to the Houston Astros and the Greatest Fans on Earth"
tjack16
AG
Beat40 said:

BadAggie said:

There needs to be a case study done on Bregman, Yelich and Bellinger's 2018/2019 seasons

They were 3 of the top 5 hitters in baseball and then just had an insane drop off over night.

texasaggie2015
AG
They talked to both Soler and Duvall a couple weeks ago. I have no idea if any progress was made but I know they talked to both of those guys.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Yelich has never been the same since shattering his kneecap in September 2019.

While it sounds dumb, I am of the opinion that the cheating scandal exposure hurt Bregman more than any other player, shattering his confidence and reducing his swagger, making him a 75% facsimile of who he was from late 2017-2019. In 2019, he challenged Trout as the best player in the AL.

Bellinger got what he had coming for running his mouth. I'd like to again congratulate him for batting a combined .193 over the course of the 2021-2022 seasons. That's 158 hits in 819 at-bats. He got hurt doing a shoulder bump after hitting a home run in the 2020 NLCS. Because he is made out of paper machete. And is a baby.

If he signs with the Astros, I reserve the right to boo his dumb ass every time he comes up after his 7-minute diatribe about cheating, which then was followed by him mysteriously dropping of the face of the planet on offense after his own MVP season.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Dodgers creativity continues
tylhair
AG
I haven't watched Bellinger/Yelich as much as Bregman, but it is very clear that AB was negatively effected by the removal of the "juiced balls."

As a smaller guy with elite bat to ball and vision, he really benefited from that extra 15-20 feet of flight. With the Crawford boxes, 25 homers a year became 40.
AustinCountyAg
I saw that the Orioles current owner is selling. They could be even more scary if they get new ownership who decides to spend more $.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

BadAggie said:

At what price would you consider Belli? He does check a few big boxes for us. Lefty who can hit for power and play a good CF.

Obviously I'd never pay $200mm+ for 8+ years, but if we're in the 6/$115 ballpark, I might sign up. Granted, so would a few other teams.

I was thinking the other day about Bregman, Tucker and Framber ultimately getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 9/$270mm deals on average (Tucker probly more, Framber probly less, but you get my gist).

What if we allocated that $$ to the best ~6 players we can sign in the 5/$100mm range over the next few offseasons. Hader counts toward that. Belli would too at the right price.

You can't replace Framber, Bregman and Tucker individually. But you can maybe replace them in the aggregate of ~6 really good players.

Benefits:

1) Given our limited farm depth ready to make a MLB contribution right now, we have to put a higher premium valuation on quantity than would be ideal. Spreading six really good players around the diamond might beat three studs + three replacement level guys in our current state.

2) Limited dead years on the back-end that are inevitable in the 9+ year mega deals that Tucker, Bregman and Framber will be seeking.
AustinCountyAg
Deluxe said:

Beat40 said:

BadAggie said:

At what price would you consider Belli? He does check a few big boxes for us. Lefty who can hit for power and play a good CF.

Obviously I'd never pay $200mm+ for 8+ years, but if we're in the 6/$115 ballpark, I might sign up. Granted, so would a few other teams.

I was thinking the other day about Bregman, Tucker and Framber ultimately getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 9/$270mm deals on average (Tucker probly more, Framber probly less, but you get my gist).

What if we allocated that $$ to the best ~6 players we can sign in the 5/$100mm range over the next few offseasons. Hader counts toward that. Belli would too at the right price.

You can't replace Framber, Bregman and Tucker individually. But you can maybe replace them in the aggregate of ~6 really good players.

Benefits:

1) Given our limited farm depth ready to make a MLB contribution right now, we have to put a higher premium valuation on quantity than would be ideal. Spreading six really good players around the diamond might beat three studs + three replacement level guys in our current state.

2) Limited dead years on the back-end that are inevitable in the 9+ year mega deals that Tucker, Bregman and Framber will be seeking.
Billy Beane is that you posting here again?

Deluxe
AG
Guys, you're still trying to replace Giambi. I told you we can't do it, and we can't do it. Now, what we might be able to do is re-create him. Re-create him in the aggregate.
Farmer1906
AG
A huge part of Bregman's were the juiced balls. His warning track power turned to HR power. If you look at the expected # of HRs vs actual HRs that season, he overachieved by a ridiculous amount. Guys pitched around him because of it so it helped drive up the OBP. Right after that he dealt with injury for 20 and 21.
CFTXAG10
AG
Exactly 2 weeks away from P&C reporting to Spring Training
n_touch
tylhair said:

I haven't watched Bellinger/Yelich as much as Bregman, but it is very clear that AB was negatively effected by the removal of the "juiced balls."

As a smaller guy with elite bat to ball and vision, he really benefited from that extra 15-20 feet of flight. With the Crawford boxes, 25 homers a year became 40.

I believe this to be the problem as well. Add in a hand/wrist injury for at least one season and you have the full problem.
TarponChaser
n_touch said:

tylhair said:

I believe this to be the problem as well. Add in a hand/wrist injury for at least one season and you have the full problem.

While I don't have data it also seems like some umpires have been willing to expand the zone on Bregman and send him down looking on pitches that are out of the zone. Sometimes it feels like it's out of spite.

Could just be me being an Astros homer though.
All I do is Nguyen
CFTXAG10 said:

Exactly 2 weeks away from P&C reporting to Spring Training
No matter what!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Deluxe said:

Guys, you're still trying to replace Giambi. I told you we can't do it, and we can't do it. Now, what we might be able to do is re-create him. Re-create him in the aggregate.
If I ever win the Powerball, I will make a shot for shot remake of this movie but have it be all about the Rangers/Dodgers/Yankees/Twins trying to replace Joey Gallo.

Billy Beane: Guys, you're still trying to replace Gallo. I told you we can't do it, and we can't do it. Now, what we might be able to do is re-create him. Re-create him in the aggregate.
    Scout: The what?
    Billy Beane: Gallo struck out 196 times in 2017, 207 times in 2018, and 213 times in 2021. That's a total of ... [snapping his fingers and pointing at Pete]
    Peter Brand: Do you want me to speak?
    Billy Beane: When I point at you, yeah.
    Peter Brand: 616 strikeouts
    Billy Beane [snapping] Divided by three.
    Peter Brand: 205.333 strikeouts
    Billy Beane: That's what we're looking for. Three ballplayers... three ballplayers who can each put up..[snapping]
    Peter Brand:.205.333 strikeouts

'

And then later in the movie

Billy Beane: We got a problem, Joey?

Joey Gallo: No, it's okay. I know your routine. "Don't swing at every pitch. Try to keep your eyes open while you're batting. Don't get doubled off second base on a foul pop in extra innings." I get it. It's patter, it's for effect. But it's for them, all right? That **** ain't for me.

Billy Beane: Oh, you're special?

Joey Gallo: I've recorded 5 sacrifice flys in 863 Major League games. So yeah, maybe I am a little bit special.

TarponChaser
Is King Donkey up to 5 career sac flies now? I must have missed 4 of them.

If he keeps up this pace he just might hit double-digit sac flies for his career.

edit: searching on Google one site claims he only has 3 career sac flies, what's the correct #?
Beau Bevers
AG
The subtle genius of this post cannot be overstated. Well done.
All I do is Nguyen
I had no idea that Hader negotiated pitching restrictions into his contract. Is that fairly common for relievers?
No matter what!
The Porkchop Express
AG
You are probably right. I looked down the column on BR but a couple of the 1s are probably redundant from split stats in seasons he got traded.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AgLA06
AG
So close. You had it in the air, but you just couldn't land it.

Billy Beane wouldn't be talking to the departed Gallo at the end of the scene. He'd be talking to one of the "value driven" players brought in to replace the strike outs (David Justice role).

Now, if you had made that someone known for striking out in crucial situations, say someone near and dear to our hearts beyond his prime that could fit that role like Maldy. It would have been chef's kiss!
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I saw that the Orioles current owner is selling. They could be even more scary if they get new ownership who decides to spend more $.

Couple of PEs purchased controlling interest in a team... what bad could possibly happen, haha? The stadium is leased, so they can't sell that off. Maybe they make a run for a trophy, cash in, and then cash out. I don't see them staying long term, however. And I'm assuming that the firms are the purchasers and not the founders.
First Page Last Page
Page 207 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.