***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,607 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He was a late bloomer for sure. I don't think he was ready for the grind and pressure of baseball when he got drafted. Hell, he was just a kid.

He butted heads with lots of coaches in the organization and didn't receive coaching well. He wanted to do things his way. I've heard him described as a total head case.

I agree, it sounds like he's matured a bit and is dialed in. His stuff plays well out of the bullpen. It would be awesome if he's able to put it together and be a useful piece this year. I'm pulling for him.
W
AG
this is what happens when your two division rivals play in the ALCS
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

redline248 said:

tjack16 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Is our next FA signing on this list?

I'd love Soler but if we don't make another move I think we're okay.

Bench bat rental might be needed at deadline though depending on how healthy our lineup is
What does Soler provide that we don't already have? This is not meant to be a snarky question, b/c I don't know much about him

Insane power. He'd be the guy you put in against a lefty for Meyers in the 8th or 9th if you need a run.

Plus given our injury history with certain guys (Yordan) he's a great depth bat that most pitchers would be uneasy pitching to at the Crawford boxes

Except Jake is really good against lefties. And why is Soler on the bench? Hes going to be making 15 M per year for multiple years. That's not a regular on the bench.

I'd rather him be the DH with Yordan in left, Chas in CF but it's come out that Yordan will be DH a lot

Right so either way Soler would start most games. You sacrifice D in LF and CF and still have a hole vs RHP. It's very likely still a clear upgrade overall, but it seems inefficient to me. Just add a cheaper lefty who plays part time.

I think if you were to look to the future and ask this thread in October would you rather have a solid OF defensive option (Jake) or a 30-40 HR bat in the ALCS…. I think we'd all say take the bat and put Yordan in left.

Also let's not act like Meyers is a gold glover out there.

Soler is entering year 11 and he's topped 30 HR twice. His 3 year zips projection doesn't showing him topping 30 HR. Hes a 7.4 WAR player for his career and topped 2 WAR only once in a season. I think your projection is on the high end.

While Jake hasn't won a gold glove, he is an elite defender in CF. He's better than Tucker or Dubon who've actually won gold gloves.

My argument isn't that Jake is better than Soler. It's that he is an inefficient way to spend 40-50 M.

I think you can get Soler without breaking the bank and a it can be a short term deal like he did in Miami
ZIPs just released its projection on Soler.

80% Percintile - .248 - .351 - .504 - .855 OPS - 135 OPS+ - 2.9 WAR
50% Percintile - .226 - .326 - .448 - .774 OPS - 114 OPS+ - 1.6 WAR
20% Percintile - .201 - .298 - .394 - .692 OPS - 97 OPS+ - 0.5 WAR

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zips-ifying-the-free-agent-market/
W
AG
the Red Sox are a mess right now

not sure what their plan is going forward

caught between spending and not spending...and thus stuck with a subpar roster
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Two major leaguers and two prospects and cash considerations for … Jorge Polanco's age 30/31 and 31/32 seasons?
With how mediocre the players given up were and how above average (not great) Polanco is, I am not even sure which side you're trying to make fun of.
CFTXAG10
AG
Not surprising. Had heard part of the mental block was lack of motivation. Comes from a very wealthy family and doesn't necessarily "need" baseball. But kudos to him for finally locking in. Maybe 26 was his magic maturity number.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Justin Turner heading North of the Wall to Canada

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Not surprising. Had heard part of the mental block was lack of motivation. Comes from a very wealthy family and doesn't necessarily "need" baseball. But kudos to him for finally locking in. Maybe 26 was his magic maturity number.

Heh. I was 25 before I decided to give college a try again and 27 when I arrived in Aggieland. It just takes longer for some of us to grow up.
Did you feel dirty picking up all the freshmen?
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Heh. I was 25 before I decided to give college a try again and 27 when I arrived in Aggieland. It just takes longer for some of us to grow up.
Did you feel dirty picking up all the freshmen?

I was 46… and not my fault if some ladies had unresolved daddy issues.

But, I knew the sudden end of my lifespan if Mrs. Marvin ever found out so my public service efforts were strictly hypothetical.
Post removed:
by user
cmk10
AG
i just cant understand for the life of me that he has been throwing from 80' and will still need another 6 months...
Post removed:
by user
MAROON
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I don't think he's from a "very wealthy" family, unless his Mom has some generational inherited wealth. He's from a firmly upper middle class to upper class working family.

He was very immature out of high school. The Astros having their farm team in Round Rock was the worst place he could be - he spent most of his time at UT fraternity parties with his Alamo Heights high school buddies. Lunhow had to send him to Florida to get him out of that environment and try to motivate him.

His Dad has also been one of the issues.
Ag_07
AG
cmk10 said:

i just cant understand for the life of me that he has been throwing from 80' and will still need another 6 months...

Farmer1906
AG
cmk10 said:

Yeah, that is out of my realm of personal knowledge. I was an idiot of didn't know how to take care of his arm, threw with max effort at about 78, and now it creeks and crackles when I place catch with my kids.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

cmk10 said:

What about Garcia?
Farmer1906
AG
MAROON said:

CFTXAG10 said:

I don't think he's from a "very wealthy" family, unless his Mom has some generational inherited wealth. He's from a firmly upper middle class to upper class working family.

He was very immature out of high school. The Astros having their farm team in Round Rock was the worst place he could be - he spent most of his time at UT fraternity parties with his Alamo Heights high school buddies. Lunhow had to send him to Florida to get him out of that environment and try to motivate him.

He's had a wild minor-league career.

All the stuff you mentioned plus...
He had an oblique injury
He got popped for drugs and suspended.
He lost a bunch of weight and looked ready to finally meet his potential.
Covid shut things down.
He's needed TJ
Has a handful of starts then a lat injury
Now he's moved to the bullpen and expected to compete for a big league spot when he's never had a good season.

AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MAROON said:

CFTXAG10 said:

He's had a wild minor-league career.

All the stuff you mentioned plus...
He had an oblique injury
He got popped for drugs and suspended.
He lost a bunch of weight and looked ready to finally meet his potential.
Covid shut things down.
He's needed TJ
Has a handful of starts then a lat injury
Now he's moved to the bullpen and expected to compete for a big league spot when he's never had a good season.

Sounds just as likely to be a final chance to prove some worth as much as a reward
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

Two major leaguers and two prospects and cash considerations for … Jorge Polanco's age 30/31 and 31/32 seasons?
With how mediocre the players given up were and how above average (not great) Polanco is, I am not even sure which side you're trying to make fun of.

Everyone involved.
Faustus
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

GIDP raw #s without opportunities to go with it can be a little misleading at times.

So I looked. Bregman had 140 PA and 124 ABs with a man on 1st and less than 2 outs. He had 22 GIDP in those situations.

For comparison, Vlad Jr was 23 GIDP on 163 PA and 140 AB.

Bregman was actually worse.

Machete was 10 on 77/65. He was actually better at not doing it. And I never thought I would say that.

His ability to strikeout put him over the top. I recall more than once hoping he'd just record the one out so we could flip the order in those situations.
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

cmk10 said:

What about Garcia?

Yeah...What about Garcia? We were talking about Lance

If you don't think Lance is fragile I don't know what to tell you. I know you're gonna stick to your guy but Lance is as fragile as it gets.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

cmk10 said:

What about Garcia?

Yeah...What about Garcia? We were talking about Lance

If you don't think Lance is fragile I don't know what to tell you. I know you're gonna stick to your guy but Lance is as fragile as it gets.

He's at the same point as Lance in recovery. Is he fragile? Or are you just talking **** and sometimes rehab takes a long time?
Ag_07
AG
I'm just saying Lance is fragile.

That's just a fact. How can anyone dispute that?

I imagine they're treating him with the softest of kid gloves and that's probably why he's been throwing from 80' ft for months and still needs 6 months.
Bonnettecj1
McCullers has been rehabbing since the 2021 playoffs. I know he played some in '22, but he was injured (again) shortly in the playoffs.

He's fragile. There's no saying otherwise.
Beau Holder
AG
The Show 24 cover athlete is … Vladdy off a 2 WAR, 117 OPS+ season.

I see the person who thought Jazz Chisholm was the guy last year is still employed.
W
AG
Click was not a genius for that extension

have to keep up with LMj's injury situation for 3 more years
tjack16
AG
Beau Holder said:

The Show 24 cover athlete is … Vladdy off a 2 WAR, 117 OPS+ season.

I see the person who thought Jazz Chisholm was the guy last year is still employed.

Vlad is a lot better of a choice than Jazz though.

Should have been Acuña this year
Post removed:
by user
linkdude
AG
more valuable by WAR next year, Justin Turner or Michael Brantley?
Ag_07
AG
I'm not really pissed at anyone. Just sucks Lance is constantly dealing with injuries.

Also when it comes to Lance schedules are worthless because he may be on schedule now but that'll probably change next week then again during Spring Training then again at the ASB.

Just let me know when he's activated.
Mr.Bond
AG
Dumb..... Josh Donaldson was on cover not that long over. Stupid Canada
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Post removed:
by user
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 206 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.