***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,936 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tylhair said:

@texasaggie2015(dude who claims to know things)

Got any move rumors, real or fake? I'll take either.
Nothing new at the moment
Farmer1906
AG
Based on that data? No it won't be beneficial. It would be more beneficial to increase his fastball, but that's probably asking too much.

I thjnk the general takeaway is the bigger gap in velos help as well as throwing harder in general. That doesn't mean all hard thrown pitches are effective. In Brown's case his Slider had the highest expected BA, SLG, wOBA, and lowest K%.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

tylhair said:

The Hader signing only kept us occupied for a week.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15
AG

The one on the right is not good
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
The home and away are nice. Not a fan of pullover though
BCEDAg
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

tylhair said:

So did Dana pursue Jankowski? Saw where the Rangers are close to resigning him.
Farmer1906
AG
The pre-2021/2 unis with the W were the best.

linkdude
AG
Ag_07
AG
Should we know who that is?
Farmer1906
AG
BCEDAg said:

texasaggie2015 said:

tylhair said:

I hope not. If yall thought Jake had a bad arm, just wait.

He had a career year of slapping it oppo right where the 3B and SS were not. I don't he comes close to matching his 2023.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Should we know who that is?
Yeah. The father of sabermetrics.
BCEDAg
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BCEDAg said:

texasaggie2015 said:

tylhair said:

I hope not. If yall thought Jake had a bad arm, just wait.

He had a career year of slapping it oppo right where the 3B and SS were not. I don't he comes close to matching his 2023.

Thought I read where Dana was looking for a LH bat with speed that could play outfield to supply depth off the bench? He doesn't have any power and only hit one homer last season. And it was against the Stros.
Farmer1906
AG
I think we'd be better off giving Loperfido or Melton that opportunity.
bearkatag15
AG
Posted on another Astros message board thread. I wouldn't hate the idea of adding a cheap switch hitter. If he sucks again then cut him.

"Aaron Hicks: By late May, it wasn't clear how much longer Hicks would remain in the big leagues. He was released by the Yankees as he seemed en route to a third straight poor season. The Orioles somewhat surprisingly added him on a big league deal. From that point, the switch-hitting Hicks had a resurgence. He closed the year with a .275/.381/.425 slash over 236 plate appearances in Baltimore. Hicks walked at a massive 14.8% clip while striking out only 20.8% of the time. That won't erase the memories of his struggles toward the end of his tenure in the Bronx, but it should land him a guaranteed MLB roster spot again. He'd be essentially a free pickup for whatever teams signs him. The Yankees are still on the hook for next year's $9.5MM salary and a $1MM buyout on a 2025 option. A signing team would only pay Hicks at the $740K league minimum rate for whatever time he spends on the MLB roster, which would be subtracted from New York's obligations."
texasaggie2015
AG
Only bats I can confidently say we've spoken to recently are Jorge Soler and Adam Duvall.

That said- I only know what I've been told so there could be things going on I'm not aware of.
Farmer1906
AG

I'd prefer him not in NY.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I think the better question is what roster moves have to take place to bring in a flyer that may not help at all? Are we in danger of losing someone if we do it? If not, sure.
Taxman90
AG
I like how Verducci sort of smirks as he is about to completely disagree with the idea that Hader is losing it going into his age 30 year.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mr.Bond said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Bravo sir.

Makes the women here in Cleveland puke

• Harry Doyle : You know I used to hate Parkman when he was with the A's. It's amazing how a new uniform can change your attitude about a guy.
    [covers Mic]
    Harry Doyle : He's still a dick.
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I think the better question is what roster moves have to take place to bring in a flyer that may not help at all? Are we in danger of losing someone if we do it? If not, sure.

Graveman to the 60 day DL?

Edit: McCullers & Garcia too, right?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Taxman90
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Graveman to the 60 day DL?

Edit: McCullers & Garcia too, right?

I believe we have to wait until pitchers and catchers report to place players on the 60 day DL. So may have to make some moves if we sign anyone before that. We then would have 3 spots we can fill.
Eso si, Que es
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yes, there was an article posted a few weeks back covering that.
According to statcast Brown's fastball averaged 95.7 and his slider 91.7. Those nerd articles you reference demonstrated that a -4 velocity difference was the worst performing in terms of run value (they didn't go down to -2, that I can find).

However, this is where I'm unclear...they also so that a harder thrown off speed is better than a slower thrown off speed. I have mush brain at this particular moment in the day, so I can't tell if 91 mph slider at -4 is still better than an 88/89 mph slider at around -6 mph. Basically, will it be that beneficial to drop down to, say, 88 on his slider?

If he is throwing 96 fastball and 90 slider his XVR is -.186. If he drops to 88 it is -.191 if he drops to 86 it is -.279 and if he drops to 84 it is -.371

Like Farmer said, it would be nice to bump fast ball up and drop slider down but easier said than done. Theoretically if you jump fastball to 98 and drop slider to 86 it is XVR/100 of -.412.

When looking at a fastball that is 96 vs 98 mph the travel time from hand to front of plate is 376 milliseconds vs 369 milliseconds. The difference from a rope down 3rd base line and foul tip down first base line is 6 milliseconds bat speed. It takes the batter 75-100 milliseconds to pick up the ball, leaving them 275-300 milliseconds to make contact. In that 275-300 they have about 150 milliseconds to identify pitch and decide to swing and 150 milliseconds to perform the swing with a margin of error of 6 milliseconds to keep the ball fair.

Bottom line is the more you stress the batter with your fastball speed, the poorer the decision making will be on swing decision. Every additional 2 mph delta in pitch speed is about 8 milliseconds so if you can delta 10 mph it is 40 milliseconds delta and the faster you force the decision the delta exponentially changes as the delta is in that 150 millisecond decision part of the pitch.

Throw a harder fastball and the decision making time can fall from 150 milliseconds to 130 milliseconds. Change your pitch delta by 10 mph and you now have a delta of 40 milliseconds within the 130 millisecond decision zone which is way different than a delta of 20 milliseconds in a 150 millisecond decision zone.

Sorry, I love math.
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser
The leverage from being 6'7" is big time. That's really impressive. That's an easy 95.
bearkatag15
AG

New pitch coming in 2024
Bulldog73
AG
I'm surprised he wasn't hearing trash cans in his head.
Sea Speed
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This is the most impressive thing I've seen on this thread in a LONG time. Hardly post but I take the whole thread in. Jeeze. Looks like backyard pitch and catch effort level.
07ag
AG
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/top100/

0 Astros, but I bet we still have significant contributions from a rookie or 2
https://ts.la/eric59704
bearkatag15
AG

Far from crazy money
Farmer1906
AG
This should tell you that 3/50 was always a lie.

Neris's market was fair. Worst case he's getting 500k more than he would have in Houston. Now he has a chance to secure another year along with incentives.
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Far from crazy money

Better there than New York or Arlington. But dang feels like we could have gotten that deal done
EastCoastAgNc
AG
That's it? Very underwhelming.
ktownag08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I'd really like this kid to finally pan out. A back end starter or middle inning eater would be a nice add to our staff
First Page Last Page
Page 200 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.