***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

938,258 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are they the new Angels?
TarponChaser
tjack16 said:

TarponChaser said:

With a kid that young mechanics can be important but I'd rather see the kid going up and taking daddy-hacks. Too many kids just try to make contact, even off the tee, and don't swing with intent. Teach them to swing with some violence and the mechanics can follow.

I mean… Joey gallo with a career .197 average does have $33M in the bank right now. It's possible

Fair point but even King Donkey could hit .300 off the tee.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Orbit makes appearances at weddings?
Ag_07
AG
You can hire him for private events
Sea Speed
AG
You can get just about anyone to do just about anything if you have enough money
Farmer1906
AG
You tell that to my 4 year old when I turn on film.
Sea Speed
AG
Farmer1906 said:

You tell that to my 4 year old when I turn on film.
tjack16
AG
Dana brown was just on 790. Their audio was having an aneurism so some of the good stuff was missed… but he is HIGH on Melton. Made me excited to see him play
RO519
AG
Y'all are wild. I'm not making my 4 year old study film for tee ball, it's tee ball. The post was meant as a nod to the pure mechanics of Uncle Mikes swing. When baseball gets more serious, that's the swing to duplicate.
htxag09
AG
RO519 said:

Y'all are wild. I'm not making my 4 year old study film for tee ball, it's tee ball. The post was meant as a nod to the pure mechanics of Uncle Mikes swing. When baseball gets more serious, that's the swing to duplicate.

Kind of funny how some lurkers came out of the woodwork with that post.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
More wild how many of those lurkers took the side that extensive training of kids under 9 should be normal.

I really like the point of the poster who mentioned how much more successful foreign players who don't the the insane stuff American kids do.

If the kid at young ages can't figure it out naturally to an extent they aren't going to probably be a big leaguer, just build their love of the game and get them outside.
tjack16
AG
Maybe the Texans will make a run to help the 2023 sports season not totally suck
Ag4life80
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Orbit makes appearances at weddings?
Orbit did our son's wedding in Austin. It was awesome
The bad news, due to a Covid wedding the year before, they had to keep the same venue exactly one year later, or lose a healthy deposit. So Orbit shows up at their blowout reception, the night A&M beats Alabama at Kyle.
The Porkchop Express
AG
82 days ( and 7 minutes until opening day so let's hit up 1982.

The Astros sucked balls in 1982 on the field, but they made two big moves off of it that paved the way to the greatness of 1986.

The first game on August 30, 1982, when traded away Don Sutton to the Milwaukee Brewers for cash and 3 players Mike Madden, Frank Dipinio, and Kevin Bass.

Sutton was 13-8 with a a 3.00 ERA for the Astros and was like Verlander for the Brewers going 4-1 with a 3.29 ERA and helping them get to the WS, where they lost to the Cardinals and he pitched godawful, starting 2 games and compiling a 7.84 ERA. tHe went just 22-25 over the next 2 years for the Brew Crew but did pitch until he was like 73.

Mike Madden had huge promise in 83, going 9-5 with a 3.14 ERA as a swingman, but was terrible after that and was out of the Majors by the end of 86.

Dipino was a solid bullpen guy who was eventually traded for Davey Lopes in 86.

Bass became one of the most consistent players in the NL. He had gone o for 11 for Milwaukee in 18 games ade. as just 1 for 24 for the Astros after the trade. He was a part-time player for the next 2 years, then won the starting CF job in 1985 and put up 16 HR< 19 SB and a .269 average.

In 86 he was an MVP candidate, .311, .842 OPS, 20 HR, 22 SB, 79 RBi, 83 R. He nearly matched those nummbers in 87, with 19 HR< 85 RBI, and 21 steals. He hit .300 in an injury-plagued season of 1989 before signing with the Giants where he was largely platooned.
He came back to Houston for 93 and 94, and in the strike year, hit .310 in 82 games at age 35.He also did the best impersonation of Sammy Davis Jr.

After the season ended, the Astros made a move that was barely a blip on the radar on December 10, 1982, trading Danny Heep to the Mets for Mike Scott. Heep had played 165 games for the Astros over 4 years and hit .246. He would later be Nolan Ryan's 4000th strikeout victim. Sott had gone 14-27 with a 4.64 ERA for the Mets. He went 110-81 with the Astros, won a Cy Young, finished second for another, and remains the only player to win a league LCS MVP for the losing team. In 1986, he led the NL with 275.1 innings pitched, 306 strikeouts, and a 2.22 ERA.

AggieMD95
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

82 days ( and 7 minutes until opening day so let's hit up 1982.

The Astros sucked balls in 1982 on the field, but they made two big moves off of it that paved the way to the greatness of 1986.

The first game on August 30, 1982, when traded away Don Sutton to the Milwaukee Brewers for cash and 3 players Mike Madden, Frank Dipinio, and Kevin Bass.

Sutton was 13-8 with a a 3.00 ERA for the Astros and was like Verlander for the Brewers going 4-1 with a 3.29 ERA and helping them get to the WS, where they lost to the Cardinals and he pitched godawful, starting 2 games and compiling a 7.84 ERA. tHe went just 22-25 over the next 2 years for the Brew Crew but did pitch until he was like 73.

Mike Madden had huge promise in 83, going 9-5 with a 3.14 ERA as a swingman, but was terrible after that and was out of the Majors by the end of 86.

Dipino was a solid bullpen guy who was eventually traded for Davey Lopes in 86.

Bass became one of the most consistent players in the NL. He had gone o for 11 for Milwaukee in 18 games ade. as just 1 for 24 for the Astros after the trade. He was a part-time player for the next 2 years, then won the starting CF job in 1985 and put up 16 HR< 19 SB and a .269 average.

In 86 he was an MVP candidate, .311, .842 OPS, 20 HR, 22 SB, 79 RBi, 83 R. He nearly matched those nummbers in 87, with 19 HR< 85 RBI, and 21 steals. He hit .300 in an injury-plagued season of 1989 before signing with the Giants where he was largely platooned.
He came back to Houston for 93 and 94, and in the strike year, hit .310 in 82 games at age 35.He also did the best impersonation of Sammy Davis Jr.

After the season ended, the Astros made a move that was barely a blip on the radar on December 10, 1982, trading Danny Heep to the Mets for Mike Scott. Heep had played 165 games for the Astros over 4 years and hit .246. He would later be Nolan Ryan's 4000th strikeout victim. Sott had gone 14-27 with a 4.64 ERA for the Mets. He went 110-81 with the Astros, won a Cy Young, finished second for another, and remains the only player to win a league LCS MVP for the losing team. In 1986, he led the NL with 275.1 innings pitched, 306 strikeouts, and a 2.22 ERA.

Great memories
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG

Maybe he found something.

Mets need to clear a roster spot. I wonder if they have anyone we want to target.
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

The Texas Rangers and Houston Astros are the two leading candidates to host the finals of the 2026 World Baseball Classic. MLB is strongly leaning towards having the event in the Central Time Zone with retractable roof ballparks.

That's interesting. I would imagine the shiny new ballpark would give them an edge, but culturally Houston is a much better fit.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Haven't many discussed how poor views and seating is at the tuna can?
Farmer1906
AG
I'm not sure. I liked it enough when I visited.
tjack16
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Haven't many discussed how poor views and seating is at the tuna can?

I went in 2021 and thought it was fine. The upper deck has a lot of obstructed view based on the railings like MMP does but the outfield seats were great. Only issue is the right field bleachers are massive. We were down at the bottom on row 2 and I think it's 45 rows high. So that wasn't super fun for bathroom/concessions.

But I also think the allure of Texas live and it being in a more open area like Arlington vs downtown Houston would help the pre and post game festivities.
Farmer1906
AG
Ouch

Quote:

Free-agent starter Marcus Stroman has informed the Yankees he's seriously interested in signing with them, but the Yankees have declined to make an offer.

The Porkchop Express
AG
City of Houston now 2 for 2 on 2023 season division titles.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG

TarponChaser
EastCoastAgNc said:

And why are there comments saying that it's a racist tweet?
mAgnoliAg
AG
Dodgers sign Teoscar
Farmer1906
AG
Why is that funny? He's a good hitter and the Dodgers will use him in a semi platoon role. He'll probably have a career season with no pressure in the 6 thru 8 hole.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Why is that funny? He's a good hitter and the Dodgers will use him in a semi platoon role. He'll probably have a career season with no pressure in the 6 thru 8 hole.

Just another casual $23.5 million. That's what I'm laughing at
Farmer1906
AG
Only 15 M this year. Defer defer defer.
Mathguy64
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

Just another casual $23.5 million. That's what I'm laughing at
Just another beneficiary of Shohei playing for free the next 10 years. Move along.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Those are some expensive strikeouts
Marvin
AG
I hope the Doyers spend another $100 million this year and force MLB to fix that deferred crap. And that they lose in the first round, of course.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't think that is getting "fixed" until the next CBA.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I don't think that is getting "fixed" until the next CBA.

If then, as I'm not sure who would fight it. But, I can hope.

Side note- lots of Husky and Wolverine fans showing up at the Houston airport this morning for the game tonight. #someday
First Page Last Page
Page 165 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.