***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

939,156 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The implied % for each

Dodgers - 20.1%
Braves - 12.5%
Yankees - 10%
Astros - 9.1%
Rangers - 8.3%
wangus12
AG
They realize 1 guy isn't pitching this year and the other has never played in the MLB before right?
Beat40
wangus12 said:

They realize 1 guy isn't pitching this year and the other has never played in the MLB before right?

They basically added Judge to their lineup as DH. That's pretty huge.

And I am with you on Yamamoto - I'll pass judgment when I see what he has through Aug/Sep next year.
MaxPower
Will the Dodgers play Turning Japanese by The Vapors before every home game?
Farmer1906
AG
Not only are the Dodgers going to be popular in Japan but everyone going up there will be raised Dodger fans so long after Ohtani & Yamamoto are done they'll still have a following.
tjack16
AG
Imagine going back to July and telling somebody that Yamamoto would make 15x the salary that Shohei gets in 2024
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Not only are the Dodgers going to be popular in Japan but everyone going up there will be raised Dodger fans so long after Ohtani & Yamamoto are done they'll still have a following.

How quickly do you think LA offers direct to customer in Japan?
Pahdz
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

This feels like this has always been the play with all this money spent on these guys. Establishing a pipeline and fan base in Japan with zero competition.
tjack16
AG
The dodgers should play a regular season series in Tokyo during the 2025 season. It would likely break all ticket sales and merchandise records
jkag89
My point being is that we really haven't had the dynasties of the past with the last being the late '90s Yankees We've certainly kinda sorta have seen it with the BoSox, Giants, Astros and even to an extent the Effin' Dodgers but not where a team dominated for either league or the Series for several seasons. Of course the expansion of the postseason has much to do with this allowing, as you've pointed out, the nature of the game take its course.
The Porkchop Express
AG
97 Days until opening day so let's check in on the 1997 Houston Astros.

You young guys have no idea what it was to suffer without the playoffs. In 1997, we made it back after an 11-year drought, mostly because of realignment, because 84-78 ain't that good. We did that under Larry Dierker who went straight from the broadcast booth to the dugout, a move that seemed bat **** crazy at the time. He replaced Terry Collins, who was perpetually pissed about something.

Opening Night was a beautiful thing at the Dome. I was there! One of 13 straight home openers I went to from 86-99.
Astros v. Braves, Shane Reynolds vs. John Smoltz, Bagwell scores Biggio on an RBI groundout in the first inning, Larry Jones hits a solo shot off Shaner in the third, but Astro legend Pat Listach delivers the sac fly in the bottom of the third to make it 2-1.

And that was it, a pitcher's duel won by the good guys. Shaner went 8 innings and struck out 7, and Billy the Kid closed it in the 9th. Smoltook the complete game loss. The Astros got off to a 15-11 start but were only 40-42 at the end of June. They got hot with a 19-7 July, swooned again in August, and were up just 1-1/2 games at 70-68 over the Pirates on September 2. They built the lead up by basically playing .500 ball while the Pirates couldn't do ***** On September 25, the 11-year anniversary of the day they won the '86 NL West, they beat the crap out of the Cubs, 9-1, to clinch the NL Central.

Biggio had his best year to date, with 146 runs scored, 191 hits, 37 2B, 8 3B, 22 HR, 81 RBi, 47 steals, 84 BB, a OPS of .916, and played in all 162 games.
Bagwell also played all 162 and hit 43 HR, stole 31 bases, drove in 135 runs, and had more walks (127) then strikeouts (122).

Darryl Kile (RIP) had his best year as a pro, going 19-7 with a 2.57 ERA and 205 strikeouts at age 28.
25-year-old Mike Hampton was 15-10. Billy Wagner, just 25, had 23 saves and a 2.85 ERA.

The playoffs were practically over before they started. Game 1 vs. the Braves was a 2-1 classic with Maddux pitching a complete game. Kile took the loss, 2 runs in 7 innings.

The team looked clueless in Game 2, losing 13-3 and making 2 errors that led to 4 unearned runs.

I was 23 and took off work to go see Game 3 at the Dome, a 4-1 loss for the sweep. Smoltz had a 1 hitter going in the last of the 7th when Chuckie Carr of all people hit a home run off him.

For the series, Bagwell and Biggio each hit .083. Meanwhile, Darryl Kile went 2 for 2 at the plate, and the combo of Brad Ausmus and Tony Eusebio were 4 for 8 (.500).

Still, it was a year of breakthroughs and started the second-best era of team history, with four playoff trips in five years, and 6 in 9 years. Bagwell and Biggio both won SIlver SLugger awards and were named All-Star starters. Bags was 3rd, and Biggio 4th. Kile was 5th for Cy Young and Dierker finished third for manager of the year behind, you guessed it, Dusty Baker.

The 1997 division clincher on WGN. Yes, that is Bobby Abreu playing CF for the Astros. Cringe.An extremely skinny Sammy Sosa makes the last out.

1997 NLDS Game 3 - Jon Miller and Reggie Jackson the call. Carr's HR at 1:39.00.

jkag89
Appreciate the work you've put in.
iamtheglove
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

MLB owns the international rights for the RSN produced games. Dodgers will, however, make a killing on merchandise and ticket sales to visiting Japanese fans. Ichiro had the same effect in Seattle, was a goldmine for them.
Thinice
Friend was taking tour of Minute Maid today and ran into McCullers that was there working out.

Glad to hear he was putting work in.
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude
AG
n_touch
Farmer1906 said:

Dodgers
Farmer1906
AG
He's from the wrong island.
Deluxe
AG
Thinice said:

Friend was taking tour of Minute Maid today and ran into McCullers that was there working out.

Glad to hear he was putting work in.

I'm aligned with everyone in "believe it when I see it" mode with regard to LMJ making a meaningful contribution this year. With that said, man, what a bonus it would be if he did get back to his usual self earlier than expected (May/June). The whole staff looks different with him slotted into the 3/4 rotation spot. And what his presence would do in terms of our ability to give Javier, Framber and JV a little rest over the course of the season.
tjack16
AG
I'd still love to see LMJ in a bullpen role when he gets back this year. His stuff is elite and he might need it to ease back in. Imagine having Lance come in for the 7th inning of a tight ALCS game totally fresh
Mr.Bond
AG
tjack16 said:

I'd still love to see LMJ in a bullpen role when he gets back this year. His stuff is elite and he might need it to ease back in. Imagine having Lance come in for the 7th inning of a tight ALCS game totally fresh

I don't disagree. He's gotta fix his walk issues though in order to be a reliever
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
We need to trade for Miller before he blows up next season.

tjack16
AG

All that for a 2022 wild card exit and a 2023 missed postseason. Plus trading away the biggest signings
Mr.Bond
AG
tjack16 said:

All that for a 2022 wild card exit and a 2023 missed postseason. Plus trading away the biggest signings

Where does that money go
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

tjack16 said:

Where does that money go

Distributed to the poor teams.
Mathguy64
AG
There are no poor teams. Just teams that refuse to spend money while the owner takes off profits.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

There are no poor teams. Just teams that refuse to spend money while the owner takes off profits.

chlavinka
AG
I still think he will retire
Marvin
AG
Spent a day touring Tallinn, Estonia on the way to northern Finland. What in the hell is this?!
BadAggie
AG

bearkatag15
AG
An ugly hat?
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Marvin
AG
BadAggie said:

I mean, if they are going with the stereotype just spell it GODZIRRA

Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

An ugly hat?

Saw it in a Russian shop near the border, so maybe evil empire is right…
All I do is Nguyen

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Astros fan equivalent of getting a lump of coal
First Page Last Page
Page 153 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.