***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

939,206 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

All possible because they aren't paying Ohtani squat for 10 years.

Nothing to see folks. Move along.
Project Gemini
AG
Is Kershaw done in LA now and headed home to our friends up north?
amercer
AG
Dodgers just going to reassemble the 2023 Japanese world baseball classic team?

(I mean it's not a terrible idea but they apparently need a couple billion more dollars)
bearkatag15
AG

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Dodgers dropped over 1.2 B this offseason.

If you combine the contracts given the last dozen plus semi big Astros (off my head) it wouldn't even get close
Abreu - 60
Montero - 34
Brantley - 32
Verlander - 50 (added the option year)
Pressly - 44 (added the option year)
Brantley - 32 (the first time)
Verlander - 66
Alvarez - 115
Bregman - 100
Altuve - 163
McCullers - 85
Gurriel - 48
Reddick - 52

Not even 900 M
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

lol 3rd place Yankees. They really thought he was going there.
bearkatag15
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
Yank fans have to be near suicidal right now
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I'll take "Things that the Los Angeles Dodgers don't give a rats ass about" for $2000 Alex.
Aggie95
AG
Plus another $68 million!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG

I'd imagine they make that money back in jersey sales within the month
Harry Dunne
Not worried about it. Dave Roberts will find a way to mess it up.
mwm
Roberts, just like Dusty, will find a way a screw it up.
Terminus Est
Find a way to screw it up, Roberts will
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Lima time!
Marvin
AG
Payroll doesn't guarantee playoff success, but this just seems wrong. I don't like how the Dodgers manipulated the system with Ohtani, and I don't like that a handful of franchises dominate free agent signings.

Like everyone else, I love to see them fail but it would be nice if more teams were competitive. Just my opinion and continued hatred of Cali/Northeast teams.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Spaghetti
Corona
Loperfido
Melton
Wagner
Whitley
The Porkchop Express
AG
Marvin said:

Payroll doesn't guarantee playoff success, but this just seems wrong. I don't like how the Dodgers manipulated the system with Ohtani, and I don't like that a handful of franchises dominate free agent signings.

Like everyone else, I love to see them fail but it would be nice if more teams were competitive. Just my opinion and continued hatred of Cali/Northeast teams.
Dodgers are turning themselves into the LeBron/Wade/BoshHeat where everyone wants to see them fail.

No dosrespect to the new guy, but I hope that Japanese pitcher sucks for his entire bloated contract.
amercer
AG
You can buy 100 wins a year (but also fail badly if you are the Mets or the Padres)

But there isn't really anyway to buy playoff success. It's so random. Being successful year after year in the playoffs takes ****ing magic. And only one team has had that over the last decade…
Farmer1906
AG
amercer said:

You can buy 100 wins a year (but also fail badly if you are the Mets or the Padres)

But there isn't really anyway to buy playoff success. It's so random. Being successful year after year in the playoffs takes ****ing magic. And only one team has had that over the last decade…
How did the Padres fail so badly?

350 M Machado
338 M Tatis
280 M Bogaerts
108 M Darvish
100 M Musgrove
Traded for Soto, Snell, & Hader
amercer
AG
I lived in San Diego for over a decade. It's an awesome place, but absolutely cursed as a sports city.
BayAg_14
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

amercer said:

How did the Padres fail so badly?

350 M Machado
338 M Tatis
280 M Bogaerts
108 M Darvish
100 M Musgrove
Traded for Soto, Snell, & Hader

That was a clubhouse ****show.

Tatis was a convicted steroid user and had other players questioning his professionalism. He also wanted to play SS and was unhappy with Bogaerts taking his position.

IMHO Machado plays for money. He's always looking for another contract bump.

Hader was traded away by MIL during playoff run. Not many prime closers are traded away at that point. That sure sounds like addition by subtraction.

Bob Melvin has admitted he tried everything he knew to try to get to the players and nothing he did worked.
tjack16
AG
BayAg_14 said:

"MLB record 130 wins, but those 5 days off caused too much rust and the dodgers get upset by the 82 win Rockies to end the NLDS in 4 games" - October 2024
TarponChaser
BayAg_14 said:

Will they commit hari kiri on the mound on live tv?
jkag89
Marvin said:

Nor does the hard cap like the NFL or NBA. Baseball has a greater variety of champions over the past 20 or so seasons than either of those two.
Farmer1906
AG
That is just the nature of baseball.
Farmer1906
AG
How soon will before the Dodgers trade for Burns & Adames? I think that's the only realistic move that puts them ahead of the Braves.
jkag89
Maybe so but it hasn't been the case.
Farmer1906
AG
jkag89 said:

Maybe so but it hasn't been the case.
I'm not following. The great diversity of champions IMO is due to the nature of baseball. The underdog is much more likely to upset you in a 5 or 7 game series in baseball vs basketball or even 1 game in football. There isn't some secret sauce that these lesser teams are doing. It's just that anything can happen to baseball. About a decade ago the Canes beat the Marlins in an exhibition. Could you imagine UCLA ever beating the Rams? They could play 1000x and not one would be close.
tjack16
AG
If I'm predicting and putting money down I'd say the dodgers likely win the title in 2024. But I don't see them running some insane dynasty. I think things like injuries and guys getting older fast will diminish success, and later years.

I think from 2024-2026 they will be the favorites every year. But after that their core will be old, overpaid and likely still injury prone
First Page Last Page
Page 152 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.