When, If Ever, Will Astros Unanimously Be Considered A Dynasty?

8,269 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agent-maroon said:

The Buffalo Bills went to 4 straight Superbowls. Does anyone ever talk about them being a dynasty? If you ever hear them mentioned then it's probably the punchline to a joke.

astros have one WSC and an asterisk. "Dynasty" is an opinion and most do not share your point of view. You're not changing anybody's opinion if you haven't already done so.

Deal with it...

No asterisk. Two Rings. Two banners. Two parades. 7 straight ALCS. 4 American League rings 1 National League ring. Been in 1/4 of the World Series in the past 20 years.

How about against other "dynasties"? Astros are 4-0 in postseason series against the Yankees. Rangers are 1-3.

You "Deal with it."

Proposition Joe
Dynasties start at 3 championships.

Nobody cares about appearances if there was another team that turned out to be better that year.
Silent For Too Long
There are clear exceptions to that in baseball, and there's a decent chance the Astros get a third anyway.

Anyway, parsing over subjective and ill defined words is silly. The objective facts are what the Astros have done over the last 7 years has rarely been done in baseball history. Very, very rarely. Like once before. By another team most consider a Dynasty. That alone is worth superlative level words. Choose which ever the Frick you want.
Proposition Joe
Silent For Too Long said:

There are clear exceptions to that in baseball, and there's a decent chance the Astros get a third anyway.

Anyway, parsing over subjective and ill defined words is silly. The objective facts are what the Astros have done over the last 7 years has rarely been done in baseball history. Very, very rarely. Like once before. By another team most consider a Dynasty. That alone is worth superlative level words. Choose which ever the Frick you want.

As pointed out, the "clear exceptions" don't seem to hold up to scrutiny. The aforementioned Reds "dynasty" coincided with at least one other "dynasty" (Oakland), and two other teams that won a couple of WS titles in a small span as well. Can you really say the Reds dynasty was a dynasty when another team actually won more titles than they did in the time span?

Ultimately if you want to dilute it down to "league titles" rather than championships, then yeah -- it is most definitely a "American League" dynasty. For it to get to a MLB Dynasty you need that 3rd championship though.

Impressive runs are impressive runs. But they aren't necessarily dynasties.
Dr Lane Trowlan

I like how you leave out 4 pennants clearly showing you don't understand baseball. Like at all.

It's 2 World Series titles. Unless you want to start retro actively taking away titles from teams who were using steroids or uppers or not playing against black people, the Astros 2017 title is just a legitimate as any other title in Baseball history. Particularly when it's been demonstrated that the cheating stopped in the regular season and didn't really help them win.

You can scream into the clouds all you want, but 7 ALCS, 4 Pennants, two 2 titles is dominant. Period. Anyone that understands the game of baseball knows that.

Congrats, you're the Buffalo Bills. Win more World Series, then you can have a discussion. In the meantime, do what your name says and stay silent.
Run The Damn Ball
Proposition Joe

Anyway, parsing over subjective and ill defined words is silly. The objective facts are what the Astros have done over the last 7 years has rarely been done in baseball history. Very, very rarely. Like once before.

I won't argue that.

But of course if we're looking at things rarely done in baseball history, one could also point out losing 416 games in 4 seasons.

Very, very rare.

Like once before -- the 1939-1942 Phillies.

So one of the most impressive stretches in MLB history shortly after one of the most futile stretches in MLB history.
Legal Custodian
AG
I've always had it in my head to have a dynasty you need to at least have 3 titles. Averaging at least 1 per year between your first and last title.

So if the Astros win this year that would be 3 titles in 7 years. They would need 1 more next year to be considered a Dynasty. But honestly with as many AL Pennants as they have in that same time period, you would have to give it to them with just the one more either this year or next.

Right now if it takes a 10/10 arbitrary score to be a dynasty, I would put them at an 8/10 or 9/10. No matter what side you're on, the 2017 scandal does hurt the legacy of this team. So for it to be unanimous like you said, I would say 2 more titles in the next 4 season will make it be unanimous. That fits all dynasty definitions even if you discount the 2017 title.
Barnyard96
AG
What would it take for the Rangers to be considered a Dynasty?
Proposition Joe
3 titles within a relatively short (less than a decade) timeframe.

Just like any other team.
Barnyard96
AG
So…never
Legal Custodian
AG
Barnyard96 said:

So…never
Proposition Joe
Could very well be never -- dynasties are tough to accomplish.

That doesn't mean you get to cheat and say 1.5 titles with a handful of other appearances is enough and everyone else should refer to you as a dynasty.

Patriots were a dynasty.
Cowboys were a dynasty.
Chiefs? Need another one to get to that level.

Warriors were a dynasty.
Spurs were a dynasty.
Lakers were a dynasty.
Rockets? Needed another one to get to that level.

Giants were a dynasty.
Yankees were a dynasty.
Astros? Need another one to get to that level.

Winning two championships does not a dynasty make.
Barnyard96
AG
1.5 titles lol. Enjoy your quest for that 1st one.
Old School Brother
AG
Unanimously? Never, because I'll never give in.
Barnyard96
AG
Im going with this.

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/after-world-series-where-do-astros-rank-among-best-dynasties-of-last-30-years

carl spacklers hat
Dr Lane Trowlan said:

I like how you leave out 4 pennants clearly showing you don't understand baseball. Like at all.

It's 2 World Series titles. Unless you want to start retro actively taking away titles from teams who were using steroids or uppers or not playing against black people, the Astros 2017 title is just a legitimate as any other title in Baseball history. Particularly when it's been demonstrated that the cheating stopped in the regular season and didn't really help them win.

You can scream into the clouds all you want, but 7 ALCS, 4 Pennants, two 2 titles is dominant. Period. Anyone that understands the game of baseball knows that.

Congrats, you're the Buffalo Bills. Win more World Series, then you can have a discussion. In the meantime, do what your name says and stay silent.
Remind me how many Super Bowls the Bills won...oh yeah, zero. So, this comparison you keep making to Buffalo is erroneous, but you knew that when you made it. Depending on one's criteria for determining a dynasty, the Astros may or may not be a dynasty at the moment. It's a matter of, wait for it............OPINION!
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Proposition Joe
Barnyard96 said:

Im going with this.

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/after-world-series-where-do-astros-rank-among-best-dynasties-of-last-30-years

With the very first line of the piece being...

"Since the sign-stealing scandal that tainted their 2017 championship season,"

LincolnBorglum79
AG
Call it what you want but no team
In MLB has a better 7 year run that the Houston Astros. And it's not over yet. How many other players have exceeded
100 postseason games this century. None.
Proposition Joe
And no team but maybe the Phillies a hundred years ago had a worse 4 year run.

Weird thing is none of these lifelong Astros fans seem to have been around to remember that.
Barnyard96
AG
And then what happened?
agent-maroon
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Weird thing is none of these lifelong Astros fans seem to have been around to remember that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that 4 years of intentional tanking to set the table for the current run? Tanking so blatant that it forced draft rule changes? Then the cheating scandal on top of that.

astros have no respect for the game. Why are they surprised that the game doesn't respect them in return?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAG 05
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I remember those days, it was great, you didn't even need a ticket to get into the stadium, they were just happy to have people show up to buy beer
Barnyard96
AG
We have the hardware, you have your high moral ground.

Congrats.
agent-maroon
AG
But you don't have a dynasty...

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Barnyard96
AG
Oh but we do

Proposition Joe
This is just the "please give us validation and if you don't we're gonna act like we don't need validation (but we really do)" thread I expected.
Barnyard96
AG
I mean if there were a team in the ALCS that didnt need validation, it would be________?
Aggies2009
AG
Proposition Joe said:

This is just the "please give us validation and if you don't we're gonna act like we don't need validation (but we really do)" thread I expected.
There's a certain irony to that guy posting about going to Bible study and acting this way online. Makes you wonder.
Barnyard96
AG
Wonder what?

The group is 4 aggies, 1 LSU, and a sip. It gets heated at times.
Proposition Joe
Barnyard96 said:

I mean if there were a team in the ALCS that didnt need validation, it would be________?

It would be the Houston Astros. Which is what makes it so funny. No matter what accomplishments take place, the fanbase absolutely yearns for other people to tell them they deserved it or are great. Honestly I really do think it's a product of the city losing their NFL team around the same time the Cowboys produced a "true" dynasty. There's a chip on the fanbases shoulder that somehow even a WS title or two hasn't removed.

I've long said had the Astros just taken the 2017 championship and ignored the "tainted" talk and ignored the fact that it took a historical tank job to amass the talent and just said "got ring, don't care" that it would have shut everyone up.

But it's been years and years of just falling over themselves to get other teams to show them the respect they think they've earned, which is why it's so easy to get under their skin.

From the historical tank job and gaming the draft system, to the trash can disgrace, to having Reid Ryan not getting his way so going to the media to say that the Rangers don't care about hurricane victims (and then opting to do exactly what he was so shocked the Rangers would do), to Gurriel mocking Darvish's eyes...

But then they yearn for that validation and can't understand why they don't get the respect. Just accept being hated, it's a much better look.

All that being said, win a title this year (or in the next few years), and it's an undeniable dynasty even with the 2017 incident.
Barnyard96
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Barnyard96 said:

It would be the Houston Astros. Which is what makes it so funny. No matter what accomplishments take place, the fanbase absolutely yearns for other people to tell them they deserved it or are great.

I've long said had the Astros just taken the 2017 championship and ignored the "tainted" talk and ignored the fact that it took a historical tank job to amass the talent and just said "got ring, don't care" that it would have shut everyone up.

But it's been years and years of just falling over themselves to get other teams to show them the respect they think they've earned, which is why it's so easy to get under their skin.

From the historical tank job and gaming the draft system, to the trash can disgrace, to having Reid Ryan not getting his way so going to the media to say that the Rangers don't care about hurricane victims (and then opting to do exactly what he was so shocked the Rangers would do), to Gurriel mocking Darvish's eyes...

But then they yearn for that validation and can't understand why they don't get the respect. Just accept being hated, it's a much better look.

All that being said, win a title this year (or in the next few years), and it's an undeniable dynasty even with the 2017 incident.
Or just making it to the ALCS ever year and winning another ring. If that's falling over ourselves, I'll take it.

Tissue?
Proposition Joe
That's literally what most of us have been saying the last two pages -- win another ring and it's not a debate on whether its a "dynasty" or not.
Barnyard96
AG
Glad we have Ranger fan to set us straight.
Proposition Joe
Barnyard96 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Barnyard96 said:

It would be the Houston Astros. Which is what makes it so funny. No matter what accomplishments take place, the fanbase absolutely yearns for other people to tell them they deserved it or are great.

Or just making it to the ALCS ever year and winning another ring. If that's falling over ourselves, I'll take it.

Tissue?

Whoops.
BenFiasco14
AG
OP
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.