When, If Ever, Will Astros Unanimously Be Considered A Dynasty?

8,264 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was thinking about this the other day and by any real objective measure they are a dynasty, but a significant amount of people refuse to acknowledge it, and may never do so. There are folks in the altuve v Garcia thread that are unwilling to admit Astros are a dynasty.

What will it take, if anything, for the Astros to be unanimously considered a dynasty?
AustinCountyAg
Winning a World Series this year would push most to admit it or at least admit it to themselves without publicly wanting to state it.
wangus12
AG
The 7 LCS speak for themselves, but I do think most people relate dynasties with at least 3 titles. Need to get another one
TXAG 05
AG
The media will never admit it.
_lefraud_
AG
3+ titles in a 5 year span constitutes a dynasty, along with being a competitive franchise for the majority of most decades. The 90s Braves teams were amazing, but they'll never be considered a league-wide dynasty.

I'd also say back to back titles as part of the 3, as I doubt many view the 2010-2014 Giants as a dynasty.
Sea Speed
AG
That giants team is listed on the Wikipedia page for dynasties just fyi.
AustinAg2K
I'm as big of an Astros fan as there is, and I don't yet consider them a dynasty. You've got to win at least three titles to be dynasty. The Toronto Blue Jays were not a dynasty in the 90s because they win two titles. I also don't give out dynasty for winning the LCS. The 90s Braves were dominate, but not a dynasty. Win this year, and I think there's a strong argument for a dynasty.

Still, though, the 2017 team and this team are almost like two different teams, although they do connect through the ALCS appearances. Still, though, there are really only three guys that contributed to both 2017 and the past two years.
So, I guess it would depend on your definition of dynasty at that point. Does it have to be the same core set of guys? If so, maybe this team doesn't qualify... Although, then you could almost say there hasn't been a dynasty in any sport for the past 20 years. The Patriots and Spurs had major roster turn over in their sports.
Sea Speed
AG
Here is the wiki intro for sports dynasty. The Astros are currently a dynasty using this definition.

Quote:

In sports, a dynasty is a team or individual that dominates their sport or league for an extended length of time. Some leagues usually maintain official lists of dynasties, often as part of a hall of fame, but in many cases, whether a team or individual has achieved a dynasty is subjective. This can result in frequent topic of debate among sports fans due to lack of consensus and agreement in the many different variables and criteria that fans may use to define a sports dynasty.[1][2][3] Merriam-Webster describes a dynasty as a "sports franchise which has a prolonged run of successful seasons".[4] Within the same sport, or even the same league, dynasties may be concurrent with each other.

jopatura
AG
They really needed to win in 2019 or 2021 to be a dynasty. Even winning this year still won't quite be enough.

The problem is with baseball's current set up, the Astros were never the best regular season team outside of maybe 2019.
Enzomatic
jopatura said:

They really needed to win in 2019 or 2021 to be a dynasty. Even winning this year still won't quite be enough.

The problem is with baseball's current set up, the Astros were never the best regular season team outside of maybe 2019.

Neither were the giants. Weren't two of their WS titles as wild cards? Good enough in regular season, but built for the post season. Literally opposite of the recent dodgers teams.

As has been stated, I'm inclined to agree that 3 titles within a 5 year span, along with their dominant post season run, will make the astros a dynasty. IMHO.
jopatura
AG
Enzomatic said:

jopatura said:

Neither were the giants. Weren't two of their WS titles as wild cards? Good enough in regular season, but built for the post season. Literally opposite of the recent dodgers teams.

As has been stated, I'm inclined to agree that 3 titles within a 5 year span, along with their dominant post season run, will make the astros a dynasty. IMHO.

Winning this year would be 3 in 6 though. It's definitely right on the bubble.
AggieJ2002
AG
Due to the variance of winning in baseball I think the definition of a dynasty is very different than the definition of a dynasty in the NBA, where the best team usually wins. To me the 90s Braves are 100% a dynasty for what they did, as are the Astros already.
W
AG
the Giants were not a dynasty

more of an anomaly to win 3 titles and miss the playoff inbetween

SF's season win totals in the 3 WS years ---> 92, 94, and 88

those weren't great teams -- they were teams that got hot at the right time behind the right pitcher (MadBum)

-----
the Big Red machine with only 2 titles is more of a dynasty

thanks to 2 other WS appearances and several 100-win seasons
AustinAg2K
jopatura said:

Enzomatic said:

jopatura said:

Winning this year would be 3 in 6 though. It's definitely right on the bubble.

Winning this year would be 3 in 7.
Sex Panther
AG
TXAG 05 said:

The media will never admit it.

They called them one in the hype video before the game on Friday
fc2112
Need to win more than one honestly to be a dynasty
RogerFurlong
I think 3 out of 5 years at least is a dynasty. Right now they have 1 legit title so some real work left to do.
West Roxbury
To the extent they aren't already, I would say one more world title. But, in this span… 7 ALCS appearances and multiple AL pennants and World Series appearances in addition to winning to the whole thing.
fullback44
AG
People can call it what ever they want .. I'll have to admit this has been a pretty nice run of top notch baseball … when your here going to games and living the moment, it's a dam good ride that's all I can say, and it doesn't happen very very often for many teams and their fans .. I'm enjoying it while it's here…
halfastros81
AG
If it's being debated it's already happened.
Proposition Joe
Yankees won 3 in 3 years.

Giants won 3 in 5 years.

Astros have 2 in 6 years. Need a third this year to get the dynasty label, especially with the national view of the 2017 title.

League titles just support the dynasty's numbers, they don't establish it.
Aust Ag
AG
I'd say they are there according to this from Wiki…

The Big Red Machine is a nickname for the Cincinnati Reds baseball team that dominated the National League from 1970 to 1979 and is widely recognized as being among the best in baseball history. The team won six National League West Division titles, four National League pennants, and two World Series titles
Proposition Joe
Aust Ag said:

I'd say they are there according to this from Wiki…

The Big Red Machine is a nickname for the Cincinnati Reds baseball team that dominated the National League from 1970 to 1979 and is widely recognized as being among the best in baseball history. The team won six National League West Division titles, four National League pennants, and two World Series titles

They dominated the National League yet won the same amount of WS titles as the Pirates during that era.

And the Yankees in the same era.

And the Oakland Athletics won THREE in that same era.

I feel like if there are multiple "dynasties" in the same era, it's not a dynasty.
DecadePlan
AG
I think a world championship this year seals the deal.
amercer
AG
Got to reach Patriots level. One more WS should do it
Dr Lane Trowlan
Nobody outside of Houston has an ounce of respect for the Astros organization because you're a bunch of cheaters who disrespected the game. If you're waiting around to get some sort of praise from the media or baseball enthusiasts, it's not coming…
Run The Damn Ball
cc10106
And no one cares about your irrelevant opinion either.
South Platte
It's already a dynasty. It's not common for this to happen in modern day pro sports. The media seems to have ridiculously stringent metrics for this title. I remember SF Giants winning 3 in 5 years was questioned.

I don't know what the title brings. Pure fluff
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Dr Lane Trowlan said:

Nobody outside of Houston has an ounce of respect for the Astros organization because you're a bunch of cheaters who disrespected the game. If you're waiting around to get some sort of praise from the media or baseball enthusiasts, it's not coming…

This narrative and argument is tired. Luhnow and his cronies are gone. Other players in other orgs have admitted to sign stealing (anonymous off record from what I recall), but noted that Astros are who got caught.

No one's denying what the Astros did in 2017 wasn't wrong. It was. We take the punishment, throw out the bad apple management, and we move on.

What's laughable is how the media and league still hold it over the Astros' heads. It is what it is.

If Abreu is suspended tomorrow, so should Garcia.
But we both know that won't happen.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Dr Lane Trowlan said:

It's a shame you're not a baseball fan and can't just enjoy the game. Oh well, hopefully something else today will make you happy.
Silent For Too Long
Dr Lane Trowlan said:

Baseless conjecture generated by an epic amount of butthurt.

Many, many people outside of Houston have commented on what an amazing run the Astros are on.

Only extremely asshurt get lost in their bitter feels and lose sight of objective reality.

Objectively. The Astros are in the middle of one of the most dominant runs sports history. Again, that's speaking of objective facts.
Dr Lane Trowlan
cc10106 said:

And no one cares about your irrelevant opinion either.

Ok tough guy. Real easy to type that behind a keyboard.
Run The Damn Ball
Dr Lane Trowlan
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Dr Lane Trowlan said:

This narrative and argument is tired. Luhnow and his cronies are gone. Other players in other orgs have admitted to sign stealing (anonymous off record from what I recall), but noted that Astros are who got caught.

No one's denying what the Astros did in 2017 wasn't wrong. It was. We take the punishment, throw out the bad apple management, and we move on.

What's laughable is how the media and league still hold it over the Astros' heads. It is what it is.

If Abreu is suspended tomorrow, so should Garcia.
But we both know that won't happen.

So 2017 is tainted. And there was hardly any punishment at all. So, at best, you have 1 legit World Series title with a bunch of ALCS appearances. That's not a dynasty.
Run The Damn Ball
Silent For Too Long
I like how you leave out 4 pennants clearly showing you don't understand baseball. Like at all.

It's 2 World Series titles. Unless you want to start retro actively taking away titles from teams who were using steroids or uppers or not playing against black people, the Astros 2017 title is just a legitimate as any other title in Baseball history. Particularly when it's been demonstrated that the cheating stopped in the regular season and didn't really help them win.

You can scream into the clouds all you want, but 7 ALCS, 4 Pennants, two 2 titles is dominant. Period. Anyone that understands the game of baseball knows that.
agent-maroon
AG
The Buffalo Bills went to 4 straight Superbowls. Does anyone ever talk about them being a dynasty? If you ever hear them mentioned then it's probably the punchline to a joke.

astros have one WSC and an asterisk. "Dynasty" is an opinion and most do not share your point of view. You're not changing anybody's opinion if you haven't already done so.

Deal with it...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.