What If.,.,

2,260 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by jkag89
txags11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the world of college football realignment, my buddy and I had a discussion about what if MLB did realignment and made it more geographically sound. This is what I came up with:

West:
Seattle
Oakland/Las Vegas
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Southwest:
San Diego
Arizona
Colorado
Houston
Texas

Central:
Kansas City
Chicago
Chicago
St. Louis
Cincinnati

North:
Toronto
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland

Northeast:
Boston
New York
New York
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia

East:
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa Bay
Baltimore
Washington

You could go American League (West/Southwest/Central) and National League (East/Northeast/North)

Play everyone in your division 18 times (72 games)
Play everyone in your league outside of the division 6 times (60 games)
Play everyone in the opposite league 2 times (1 series) (30 games)

It'll never happen but was a cool discussion
South Platte
As a Rangers fan, and I think I can speak for Astros fans as well, I'm tired of playing a bunch of west coast late games within the division. Reducing the number of division games has helped. I don't care where we end up as long as we don't have a ton of 9:00 PM first pitch games.
txags11
AG
I'm with you. I do wish there was some sort of re-aligning but it'll never happen, unless maybe expansion happens.
jkag89
Why do you believe destroying the traditional AL/NL affiliations for regional divisions is a plus? Even the NFL was smart enough not to mess with AFL/NFL grouping of teams within divisions when possible.
txags11
AG
I don't want to, I just said it was just a fun discussion we had talking about realignment..so we did mlb..
jkag89
I did not ask why you would want to, I asked why you think it would be a good idea?
rocky_ag
AG
I like your idea, but expansion may be on the table soon. The two things holding it up were the A's and Rays ballpark situations. The Rays situation has been officially resolved, while the A's look to be all but official. Now that those are resolved, I would guess expansion to 32 teams is on the horizon.

Right now, the leading candidates look to be Portland/Salt Lake City and Nashville/Charlotte. These cities make a lot of sense in a lot of ways. Regardless, it seems highly likely one eastern city and one western city is chosen if expansion happens. Assuming expansion happens within these four cities, here is my proposal for realignment:

AL East
New York Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Baltimore Orioles
Toronto Blue Jays

AL North
Detroit Tigers
Cleveland Guardians
Chicago White Sox
Minnesota Twins

AL South
Texas Rangers
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
Colorado Rockies (move from NL)

AL West
Las Vegas A's
Los Angeles Angels
Seattle Mariners
Portland/SLC Expansion

NL East
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates

NL North
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Cubs
Milwaukee Brewers
Cincinnati reds

NL South
Miami Marlins
Tampa Bay Rays (move from AL)
Atlanta Braves
Nashville/Charlotte Expansion

NL West
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Los Angeles Dodgers
Arizona Diamondbacks

Generally, this format keeps rivalries intact while tightening up the geographic distribution within divisions. Can use a very similar scheduling format to the current schedule. All division winners make the playoffs plus three wildcards - so only the team with the best record in each league gets a first round bye. Otherwise, same playoff format can be used.
frenchtoast
The only reason I liked the Rangers being in the AL West was because I could see them play when I lived in Seattle.
LostTexasBoy
AG
South Platte said:

As a Rangers fan, and I think I can speak for Astros fans as well, I'm tired of playing a bunch of west coast late games within the division. Reducing the number of division games has helped. I don't care where we end up as long as we don't have a ton of 9:00 PM first pitch games.

I live on the east coast. How do you think I feel lol? 10 PM games are brutal.
South Platte
rocky_ag said:

AL South
Texas Rangers
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
txags11
AG
My apologies, I misunderstood/read your post..I think the only true positive is it would cut down on potential amount of traveling, but I don't think even that would cut it down enough.

It might allow fans to see their team on the road more often as they're geographically closer more often.
jkag89
Fair enough. What rocky ag posted accomplishes what you posted without being radical. IMO any reorganization of divisions should at the very least keep the Classic Eight NL teams and Original Eight AL teams in those leagues.
txags11
AG
I did not even consider the potential expansion that is coming in the next 5 years probably! I do like the layout of this, though 4 team divisions will be weird just to see! I think you'd have to go back to 4 division winners and 2 wild cards.

I'd be curious to see how the schedule would be laid out with this format. How many division games. I wouldn't mind seeing like 20-24 games vs division opponents.
Vinny
South Platte said:

rocky_ag said:

AL South
Texas Rangers
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals

Love This !

Actually like the entire field of 32 (assuming expansion). It's the least amount of disruption to existing alignments while making a lot more sense geographically. TV coverage (viewership) should be much better than what we have now.
aggie813
If Nashville gets a team:

Houston Astros
Texas Rangers
Kansas City Royals
Nashville

County music, BBQ, More like minded fans, Same time zone...
LincolnBorglum79
AG
OP isn't LV east of San diego?

I do like the 4 divisions better and Nashville or San Antonio should be team 4 with Houston Arlington and KC. Why wouldn't San Antonio get a team before Portland? SA is a top 10 city bigger than Dallas. Portland is a mess.
jja79
AG
jkag89 said:

Why do you believe destroying the traditional AL/NL affiliations for regional divisions is a plus? Even the NFL was smart enough not to mess with AFL/NFL grouping of teams within divisions when possible.

What's the difference? They play so many inter league games it's hard to tell AL/NL. You're wrong about the NFL not messing with the NFL/AFL groupings. The Colts, Steelers and Browns were NFL teams that got shuffled to the AFC.
jkag89
Quote:

What's the difference?
Tradition and history matters in baseball.
Quote:

They play so many inter league games it's hard to tell AL/NL.
Maybe to the very casual fan. 46 interleague games out of 162 is not "so" many IMO.
Quote:

You're wrong about the NFL not messing with the NFL/AFL groupings. The Colts, Steelers and Browns were NFL teams that got shuffled to the AFC.
What I said - "Even the NFL was smart enough not to mess with AFL/NFL grouping of teams within divisions when possible."

When the two leagues merged there was simply more teams in the NFL than the AFL. They either had to expand further to fill out the AFC, leave a disparity between the two conferences or move three NFL teams into the AFC. Since then the NFL has prioritize rivalries over regionality when they restructured divisions and minimized movement between conferences. To this day every AFL team remains in the AFC.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.