Ohtani

2,201 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WoMD
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Given the latest weirdness and injury any chance he lives up to the massive salary he get on the field?

his biggest value like Yao Ming is the marketing dollars through expanded market, but i just don't see how a dude who plays as hard and swings a violently as he does staying healthy. He reminds me of an NFL running back. He will have 3-4 years of wow and 7- 8 years where he plays less than 70% of the year
vander54
S
I'm wondering of it's not an injury.
World's worst proofreader
Ag4life80
AG
Supposedly his locker is pretty much cleaned out at the stadium
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
oblique but that even seems like maybe a cover for a temper tantrum
Ag_07
AG
Goes out with an oblique but reported he's having UCL surgery as soon as possible.

Sounds convenient
South Platte
Buyer beware
mwm
Signing Ohtani could, literally, either mske or break an entire franchise. Who's going to roll the dice?
AggieEP
My money is on the Dodgers. They can offer a chance for him not to have to move his life to a new location, and also the opportunity to play for the most consistently winning franchise of the past decade.

Weirdly, despite their success, the Dodgers books are also pretty clear. You have the long Betts contract, but other than that you don't have anything else really. Freeman is only under contract for 4-5 more years. Bottom line I'd be surprised if it's anyone but the Dodgers.

Of course depending on what Ohtani thinks of numbers/stats, he could want to sign with the Yankees and hit 70 HRs a year into the short porch there. Moving to NY could also be lucrative for his merchandising/advertising opportunities.

Also, I don't think any team will regret signing him, he'll bring revenue no matter what, and even though the goal is obviously to win, if a guy can bring revenue all by himself, that at least makes the deal a break even at worst.
AggieDub04
AG
My guess is he signs a 10 year deal with opt outs after year 2 and 3. This will give him an opportunity to test the market again if he pitches well after surgery.
W
AG
hard to believe that Ohtani is already 29 years old

he wasted his 20's with the Angels
Wabs
AG
He's going to either the Dodgers (likely) or the Mariners (long shot). The Angels were monumentally dumb for not trading him and getting a massive haul of talent. But....Angels gonna Angels.
WES2006AG
AG
The Angels thinking they had a shot at the playoffs prior to the trade deadline this year was incredibly dumb and cost their franchise dearly. It is unbelievable how poorly run that organization is.
Ag_07
AG
The Angels kept Ohtani not because they thought they cold actually make the playoffs but because they valued the revenue of having him for an additional 2-3 months over the influx of new talent.

It's all about the money and prospects don't fill your pockets like Ohtani does.
BTKAG97
AG
Wabs said:

He's going to either the Dodgers (likely) or the Mariners (long shot). The Angels were monumentally dumb for not trading him and getting a massive haul of talent. But....Angels gonna Angels.
It's extremely likely no one would agree to that... especially for a rental.
W
AG
yes, he needs to have opt outs in the front half of the contract

even if he signs with the Dodgers. Many of their stars are already in their 30's
WoMD
The giants are an option. No aging stars left on the books. Lots of young and developing talent. And a payroll of about $75, which frees up a couple hundred million a year.

They're definitely ready to be used to drive up his price for another team to sign him.

Just like every year.
AggieEP
The Giants are an option, but I wonder if Ohtani's people would want to put up with Kapler's platoon heavy style. I also wonder if Kapler would want to lock down the DH position for just Ohtani, taking away some of his flexibility in building matchups.

I'd love to see Ohtani play out there though, he'd hit 20 triples per year.
Farmer1906
AG
BTKAG97 said:

Wabs said:

It's extremely likely no one would agree to that... especially for a rental.
It would have been the biggest haul for a rental ever. Would it have touched Soto value from a few years ago? No. No reason to think you couldn't have gotten a team's top 2 prospects plus some others.
WoMD
AggieEP said:

The Giants are an option, but I wonder if Ohtani's people would want to put up with Kapler's platoon heavy style. I also wonder if Kapler would want to lock down the DH position for just Ohtani, taking away some of his flexibility in building matchups.

I'd love to see Ohtani play out there though, he'd hit 20 triples per year.

I despise kapler and his stupid ass platoons. I like to think if the giants had any major league level players that they'd be allowed to play everyday though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.