One thing I'll never understand

1,652 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by UnderoosAg
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why did Robin Ventura take his helmet off?
PatriotAg02
AG
Better yet, why did he even go at him. Not the brightest guy.
UnderoosAg
AG
Read an interview once where he said he bolted towards the mound outta anger, got a few steps in and realized he was charging Nolan Ryan. At that point he was pot committed.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

Why did Robin Ventura take his helmet off?

He wanted to pound Nolan Ryan's fist with his head.
Ag_07
AG
PatriotAg02 said:

Better yet, why did he even go at him. Not the brightest guy.

I thought I remember from Facing Nolan that there was some dust up or tension from earlier and that Robin knew he was gonna get beaned and basically knew that he had to go out there.
UnderoosAg
AG
The White Sox and Rangers hadn't been getting along at the time. Alex Fernandez plunked Texas slugger Juan Gonzalez the inning before. If Ryan wanted to retaliate (as he often did), Ventura was the logical target because his single in the first inning gave the Sox a 1-0 lead. But even before the game began (right around the time he met with the young Olympians about sportsmanship), Ventura told his teammates that if he got hit, he was going to charge the mound no matter who was out there.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/the-robin-ventura-nolan-ryan-fight-story-you-havent-heard/305510/?amp=1
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.