MLB.TV app on a Vizio TV

6,234 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Snipes
NateDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(also posted to Nerdery)

Had an elderly Red Sox fan join our household for a few months. We have an older LCD TV without native support for apps, so we use a Chromecast with apps like YouTubeTV, Netflix, Prime, Max, Disney, etc.

For the Red Sox fan, we added the MLB.TV app to the Chromecast and he was able to be taught how to find when the next game would be on, and how to get the broadcast started & watch it.

When it was time for him to move to his own place, I figured MLB.TV would work exactly the same on his new Vizio smart TV - basically just install the app on his TV and good to go. Turns out no, there is no native app for MLB.TV on Vizio TVs yet (and maybe never will be).

He has a laptop, so for now the work around is to use a Chrome bookmark to MLB.TV, get the game going on the laptop, then use right-click "Cast to..." to cast the game to his TV. It works, but is a lot of steps for him to remember. If he forgets to maximize the video before casting, then he's watching a Cast of the whole laptop screen with the game trapped in a small window.

"Solutions" I've found online talk about using a FireStick/Roku/Chromecast. But those would each involve another remote control, and then the headache of switching to the correct Input, etc. Seems just as complicated.

I'm an old, so I may be missing a simpler/more elegant solution. Any suggestions?
AustinAg2K
My Chromecast remote also works for the TV ( power/volume).
Snipes
AG
Get a chrome cast or fire stick and ditch using the native tv smart features.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.