Cord Cutting

2,127 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AustinAg2K
JPate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for some advice. Tired of paying DIRECTV $170 a month. What is best route to go for cord cutting but must be able to watch Rangers and College Football? Sling? Fubo? I live in central texas so worried black outs could impact too.

DallasAg 94
Keep buying streaming services.

Right now, the Rangers are mostly only available on DirecTV type services.

We have YouTube TV and Bally's isn't on there... neither is MLB.

YouTube TV does usually have the Aggies and College Football.

ETA, Bally's owns the distro rights to the Rangers and like 15 other sports teams. They are in Bankruptcy negotiating their future. Until resolved, your Rangers choices are limited.
JB!98
AG
Updyke Ghost said:

Looking for some advice. Tired of paying DIRECTV $170 a month. What is best route to go for cord cutting but must be able to watch Rangers and College Football? Sling? Fubo? I live in central texas so worried black outs could impact too.

Astro's guy here, but when I watched the series this week it was the Rangers broadcast (on Fubo). I can watch all the Astros games on Fubo, so they might be the same for the Rangers.

My Direct bill was $208 a month and we ended that a month ago.

** Edit: Just looked it up on my guide and I could watch the Rangers if I wanted to. I am outside San Antonio, so don't know if blackouts could affect you.**
dabo man
AG
The easiest (not necessarily cheapest) option would be Fubo or DirecTV Stream. Those are the only two streaming services that carry Regional Sports Networks (RSNs).

Fubo is $96 per month. Keep in mind Fubo does not have TBS or TNT. DirecTV Stream is $99 per month and does include TBS/TNT. You'll get all of the Aggie football games with either of these services.

I just dropped DirecTV Stream for YTTV+VPN+mlb.tv. I was happy with the service. I'm just looking to save money. YTTV is only $72 per month.

EDIT - Thanks to the information from K Bo, I've corrected the Fubo price.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

ETA, Bally's owns the distro rights to the Rangers and like 15 other sports teams. They are in Bankruptcy negotiating their future. Until resolved, your Rangers choices are limited.

Bally Sports San Diego used bankruptcy to get out from under their Padres contract during the offseason. Bally Sports Arizona did the same thing just a couple of weeks ago. MLB itself is now producing both teams' television broadcasts.

In the short term, it's been a good thing for those viewers. MLB has offered those teams at a discount on mlb.tv and has lifted out of market blackouts for those fans. The games are also widely distributed on local cable and DirecTV.

In the long term, I fear I'm going to have to pay for a half dozen different streaming services to watch the Cardinals games (or just keep using VPN + mlb.tv and be able to watch every team).
hawk1689
AG
I use Directv Stream. It's about $100/month. The downside is the app doesn't load some times and you spend 5 minutes trying to get it to come on.
K Bo
AG
FuboTV charges a regional sports fee. Fubo Pro (cheapest plan) plus regional sports fee was $96
dabo man
AG
Did not look at Fubo long enough to realize that. Thanks.
AustinCountyAg
I use fubo during baseball and then switch to yttv before mlb playoff starts.
KT 90
AG
hawk1689 said:

I use Directv Stream. It's about $100/month. The downside is the app doesn't load some times and you spend 5 minutes trying to get it to come on.

I've had regular Directv for quite a few years. With DTV Strem, can you flip back and forth between channels easily, or is it a pita like trying to change channels/streams when streaming on the ESPN app?
hawk1689
AG
It's not the greatest for channel surfing. I use it for sports and Family Guy reruns.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I have not had cable since February 2017, and I just have OTA antenna. If I want to watch an MLB game that is not on any of the broadcast channels, I stream games on MLB webcast.

https://mlbwebcast.com/

I use YouTube to stream Texas A&M games that are not on broadcast TV.
JPate
How does the mlb webcast work? Do you pay monthly for it?
It Aint Easy Being Brown
MLB tv with nord vpn to avoid blackout averages out at about $15/month

Sling is the cheapest streaming with college football option. Packages range from $40-$65 per month
RED AG 98
AG
Seems legit:

Never used them and it seems no money or login is required to view so maybe no big deal. Just be careful. I would absolutely not give those guys any personal information.

ETA: Oh yeah these are from the mlbwebcast url above...
AustinAg2K
I just read that AT&T SportsNet is going to shut down by the end of the year. The Astros and Rockets are trying to buy it. I really hope they offer it streaming direct to consumer, but I suspect they'll probably find some other service (that's not available to anyone) that they can offer an exclusive deal to.

Edit: Also, the Astros are on Apple TV right now. The picture is so much better quality than ESPN, Fox, etc. I would love to see them get more games.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.