Trading for Othani

2,932 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ag_07
Lake08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would you do it, if you knew he wasn't signing a long term deal with your team and taking a huge chunk of talent out of your farm system.
Tibbers
Lake08 said:

Would you do it, if you knew he wasn't signing a long term deal with your team and taking a huge chunk of talent out of your farm system.

I think a deal like that doesn't get done till August 1st when the team has the least to gain from getting Ohtani and likewise has to give up the least to obtain him. Same thing happened with Detroit off-loading Verlander to the Astros. If the Orioles can nab this guy for somebody they know have better options to cover like Ortiz/Norby and Mountcastle. You do the deal.
Lake08
Texas was mentioned. Can't see the rangers bumping up the Angels farm system for a couple months of Ohtani, but they do have a shot at winning it all
Ag_07
AG
I don't think there is any comparison between Verlander and Ohtani.

JV wasn't a rental and the Tigers were offloading big contract for an aging player who was looking like he was past his prime. He cleared waivers.

Ohtani is a rental and is the best player in the league who happens to will fill two needs on whatever team he's on.

Not a lot of similarities in the two situations.

What I think will be interesting is if a team like the Mets who aren't really in contention make a move for him so they can get the leg up on resigning him with the exclusive window of the next few months.
Proposition Joe
No team out of contention is going to deal for him. You don't give up top prospects for a negotiating window only.
Tibbers
Ag_07 said:

I don't think there is any comparison between Verlander and Ohtani.

JV wasn't a rental and the Tigers were offloading big contract for an aging player who was looking like he was past his prime. He cleared waivers.

Ohtani is a rental and is the best player in the league who happens to will fill two needs on whatever team he's on.

Not a lot of similarities in the two situations.

What I think will be interesting is if a team like the Mets who aren't really in contention make a move for him so they can get the leg up on resigning him with the exclusive window of the next few months.

Good point but he would only go to a team that is interested in going far in the postseason. No guarantee at all that he will resign with the team that acquires his services.
Marvin
AG
I don't see the Angels trading him, even at the risk of losing potential prospects since he'll likely sign elsewhere.

Or do they have new ownership? Maybe they will, if so.
Beat40
Proposition Joe said:

No team out of contention is going to deal for him. You don't give up top prospects for a negotiating window only.
The Mets are the only organization I could see actually considering that scenario. Cohen and his F-U money are a wild card. If he feels if gives him a leg-up on free agency, who knows.

Agreed they shouldn't but if Ohtani is serious about playing in New York, the Mets with Cohen as owner is not a bad place to land.

I don't have a clue where Ohtani ends up after free agency. City wise it feels like New York or West Coast.
DallasAg 94
Marvin said:

I don't see the Angels trading him, even at the risk of losing potential prospects since he'll likely sign elsewhere.

Moreno took the LAAA off the market. His interview said he wouldn't disclose what led up to him putting them on the market, but it was never an issue about his love and passion of baseball.

It wasn't about what they were worth. He indicated he had several offers beyond what he was asking.

My guess is, it was a negotiating tactic to force the city to sell him the 150 Acres and Stadium... which had been agreed to, but then reversed.

I don't think there is a clear target that LAAA can trade Ohtani at the deadline. Each option has a downside.

It will be fun to see if a market materializes for him.
Proposition Joe
Beat40 said:

Proposition Joe said:

The Mets are the only organization I could see actually considering that scenario. Cohen and his F-U money are a wild card. If he feels if gives him a leg-up on free agency, who knows.

Agreed they shouldn't but if Ohtani is serious about playing in New York, the Mets with Cohen as owner is not a bad place to land.

I don't have a clue where Ohtani ends up after free agency. City wise it feels like New York or West Coast.

He's not giving up F-U money to get the negotiating window.

He'd be giving up top prospects.
Tibbers
Marvin said:

It's a tough decision but if your team doesn't have a chance at making the playoffs it's also the smart move. They are going to lose him regardless.
alvtimes
Rangers
Acuna #3 (he is blocked by Seager/Semien
Cole Winn#13
Foscue #6…..also blocked by Semien/seager
and an A ball pitcher
if they say no, you move on
monarch
S
Altuve, Javier, Meyers for Ohtani…

Don't crap out on this, but would you make that trade? Yes or no, straight across.
Peace for Ukraine!
12thMan9
AG
monarch said:

Altuve, Javier, Meyers for Ohtani…

Don't crap out on this, but would you make that trade? Yes or no, straight across.
No.
Ronnie '88
Txhuntr
AG
I think if you have a strong farm system with a couple top prospects at positions you have under a long term contracts, you could entertain the idea. Otherwise, this guy is going to command too much. Also, can he maintain for an extra month? We've Never seen how he holds up with the extra stressful innings of the playoffs.
Ornithopter
AG
The Angels are going to want prospects.

Then they will proceed to fail at developing them.
monarch
S
Agree, but if I'm the Astros, I would take that trade if I'm at MMP. You would get a top ranked pitcher and a top ranked hitter both in the same body. I'm thinking Altuve will be gone in less than three years: his fielding is not what it used to be and like Correa, he is beginning to miss games. Still a top player but we are in good shape at 3-4-5-6 right now (we need more hitting from 3 though) but you would get that from Otani. To top that, how many Astros uni's would be sold in Nippon? All the Angels games are televised in Japan too and so would the 'Stros.
Peace for Ukraine!
AggieEP
Problem is that this isn't MLB the Show, Altuve's value to the Angels is zero. Javier has value, not so much that you could essentially trade him straight up for Ohtani.

Any team trading for him needs to include at least one young stud that Angels management can show fans that they got in return. If not for Jack Leiter once again falling off of a cliff with his control, I'd say the Rangers could have tried to trade Leiter + Foscue + 2 A ball lottery tickets, and feel good about the trade. Maybe you can make the same trade and put Owen White in there, but Leiter works mostly because he was the #2 pick two years ago and the Angels could have showed that to their fans as a win of sort in exchange for losing Ohtani.
DallasAg 94
alvtimes said:

Rangers
Acuna #3 (he is blocked by Seager/Semien
Cole Winn#13
Foscue #6…..also blocked by Semien/seager
and an A ball pitcher
if they say no, you move on
Acuna is untouchable to me. I don't think he is better than his brother as Ronald has said... but Ramon Martinez (SP-LAD) once espoused that his brother Pedro was a better SP than he was right before Pedro was traded to Boston.
I don't hink Cole Winn has much value, right now.
Foscue has value and I thing would be included.

Bleacher Report threw these trades out:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10082614-shohei-ohtani-trade-packages-for-the-yankees-dodgers-and-more

Quote:

Proposed Trade:
Rangers get DH/RHP Shohei Ohtani,
Angels get OF Evan Carter, SS Luisangel Acuña and RHP Brock Porter

Those three names belong to the No. 8, No. 60 and No. 83 prospects in all of MLB. The first is Carter, whose stock has blown up as he's hit at .301/.413/.464 across two levels of the minors. Acuña is likewise having a strong season at Double-A, while Porter was a top draft prospect just last year. In all, a nice package to extract from a division rival.

I have to wonder if the trade market will materialize for Ohtani. LOTS of teams have lost their Ace SP in the past few weeks and many have their Ace hitting the IL.

No way I'd send those 3 Rangers prospects.
_lefraud_
AG
The Angels need major league ready arms and/or bats. I just don't think a lottery ticket(s) is would do it for Ohtani.
Ornithopter
AG
I think the Reds actually make a ton of sense for Ohtani if they can be pretty close to winning the division

They could trade Spencer Steer and a couple of prospects for Ohtani without impacting the lineup too badly, and they have a deep farm.
DallasAg 94
I agree.

They have $75M committed to Rendon and Trout for the next 3 years and they are 33 and 31, respectively.

If I'm the Rangers, I'd be looking at Josh Smith (25-MLB-2B/3B/LF) and Justin Foscue (24-AAA-2B/3B). Both need regular time. Both are blocked and they are seemingly serviceable MLB caliber players. They wouldn't be central... a higher caliber player would need to be added, but I think those 2 would good adds for the Angels. Maybe an Owen White (23-MLB-SP). I'm not sure if Bradford (25-MLB-SP) holds that much trade value.

That would be 2 IFs and 2 SP for the 2024 season who could get playing time in 2023.

If the Rangers could land Ohtani, it would make Martin Perez and Jankowski available for trade.

If the Angels keep Ohtani, they get an MVP Award that looks nice on display and I think a Comp pick for a QO.
Ornithopter
AG
Related to Rendon, I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take on his terrible contract as part of getting Ohtani.

$38 million a year, oof
DallasAg 94
I think the Reds cool off.

Thier biggest issue is they have almost no pitching, so Ohtani would be a great infusion, but he would be their only SP.

Ranked in IP:
Ashcraft (25): 17GS, 5.95 ERA, 87.1 IP
Weaver (29): 15GS, 7.00 ERA, 73.1 IP
Greene (23): 14GS, 3.93, 73.1 IP <- 15IL
Lively (31): 8GS, 3.83, 51.2
Abbott (24): 8GS, 2.45, 47.2 <- 1st MLB season
Williamson (25), 10GS, 5.21, 46.2

WC is a 3 game series, then the NLDS is a 2-2-1, IIRC.
AggieEP
It's possible, that's always the wild card on making trades, taking Rendon off their books would almost assuredly be worth it for the Angels.

If I'm them, I'd take a White Foscue package for Ohtani plus us taking on 50% of Rendon's deal. They get two guys ready to play, and have 50 million to play with next year to make the team better around Trout.
DallasAg 94
Rendon... 33... has not played more than 58G in each of his 4 seasons with LAAA (Played 148G in the 3 full seasons, prior to 2023).

Currently on IL with no answers on his status or return schedule.

3 more years at $38M.

If a team took the $115M remaining in order to get Ohtani... I don't think it would include much in terms of prospects. What LAAA could sign for $38M in FA would more than make up for prospects.

Shoot... they could use that $38M towards resigning Ohtani.
Tibbers
Very interesting. You know, the Orioles have a very low payroll. If all it took was a salary dump and a Joey Ortiz or Ryan Mountcastle or Connor Norby to get Ohtani. Oh man, they'd take that deal in a heart beat. Eat the contract, get the world series. But, the Orioles are notoriously cheap as well so...
NicosMachine
AG
I have a feeling Ohtani will be a Ranger by the trade deadline. It makes the most sense of any option. CBS agrees so I may be wrong.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/shohei-ohtani-trade-destinations-ranking-29-possible-landing-spots-based-on-whos-best-positioned-for-deal/
Ag_07
AG
The more I think about it the more I don't think Ohtani gets dealt.

If Moreno was serious about building a decent team for the future he would be dealing him but that's not what he wants. Never has been want he wants.

He wants to be in the spotlight and stuff his pockets and dealing Ohtani doesn't align with that. He's an absolute cash cow for the Angels with ticket sales, merch, advertising, and just overall exposure and eyes on the Angels. Especially if he continues his pace and gives Judge a run for the AL HR record.

No way Moreno opts to give all that up. He wants to milk him for all he can before he leaves town.
NicosMachine
AG
Ag_07 said:

The more I think about it the more I don't think Ohtani gets dealt.

If Moreno was serious about building a decent team for the future he would be dealing him but that's not what he wants. Never has been want he wants.

He wants to be in the spotlight and stuff his pockets and dealing Ohtani doesn't align with that. He's an absolute cash cow for the Angels with ticket sales, merch, advertising, and just overall exposure and eyes on the Angels. Especially if he continues his pace and gives Judge a run for the AL HR record.

No way Moreno opts to give all that up. He wants to milk him for all he can before he leaves town.
If Moreno plans on selling the Angels, which is the rumor, he will trade Ohtani rather than place a half-billion dollar cost on his books (which will cost Moreno directly at closing). Ohtani is gone either at the trade deadline or by opening day next year. Arte will get what he can now.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/23/what-arte-moreno-selling-angels-could-mean-for-shohei-ohtani/
Ag_07
AG
Oh I have no doubt Ohtani bolting after this season. I have no reason to think otherwise.

I just think Moreno doesn't want to trade the gate money, attention, merch sales he's gonna get for the remainder of this season for some prospects. Especially if he's gonna sell.

If that's the case WTF does care about the future of the franchise on the field? Stuff the pockets while he can and hand a new owner a blank slate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.