Anyone Been to KC and have rec's?

1,748 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dabo man
Velvet Jones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Working on my "Visit every MLB park" quest and will be headed to KC in a few weeks.

Anyone have experience/advice/cool things to do?

We'll be there for only a day so options might be limited.

Thanks!
texasaggie2015
AG
Boulevard Brewery is cool. Really good beer.

Lots of decent BBQ options. The burnt ends at Jack Stack BBQ are awesome. Joe's Gas Station BBQ is a fun experience.

Peanut's is a fun sports bar with a good local vibe. Good bar food too.

Kaufmann is a nice place. You'll have fun.
CT'97
AG
If you are into military museums the National WW1 museum is great.
fc2112
CT'97 said:

If you are into military museums the National WW1 museum is great.

Ditto the WW I museum. American Jazz museum is also very cool if you're into that.

There are like half a dozen breweries right downtown along 18th Street. From what I remember they were all great.

And give KC BBQ a try. No, it's not Texas. Yes, the BBQ sauce has a vinegary taste. Yes ,there's more pork than beef. But it can be excellent - especially the ribs. I went to Arthur Bryant' and LC's - both great.
BCSWguru
Negro League museum is awesome. Have not gotten to the WWI museum, but I hear its amazing as well. And if you have kids, the outfield playground setup at Kauffman was pretty sweet when we were there a few years ago.
texasaggie2015
AG
BCSWguru said:

Negro League museum is awesome. Have not gotten to the WWI museum, but I hear its amazing as well. And if you have kids, the outfield playground setup at Kauffman was pretty sweet when we were there a few years ago.
Negro League Museum is very cool. Totally forgot I was in KC when I stopped by.
Quito
AG
- Stay on the plaza
- Negro League museum and Jazz Museum are connected.
- Q39 or Joe's fir BBQ
- Royals Museum in stadium is very well done
- park is beautiful with sone cool although fairly recent history
- WW1 museum is awesome
AgRyan04
Nothing to add except I feel like Kaufmann is one of the most underrated parks

I do wish I had gone to the Negro League Museum when we were there but our scheudle didn't allow for it.

Have fun!
dabo man
AG
I go to 5 or 6 Royals games a year. I have one big recommendation, and that's sitting on the 3B side. That will put you in the shade early evening. It you go to a day game, you'll need to sit in the 200s in one of the higher rows. That way you'll be under the upper deck and in the shade.

I love where Kauffman is because I live in Columbia, MO and it's on the very eastern edge of KC. The setup is a lot like the Texans. It's two stadiums (Arrowhead is right next to the K), surround by an ocean of parking. It's right on I-70 and very easy to get in and out of.

The Royals are looking to move downtown when their lease expires (2030, I believe). Clay County (north part of KC) wants them as well. Either way, their days at the K are numbered. It's a great park, and I think you'll enjoy it.

I have tickets Wednesday night. It's a hot dog-themed jersey giveaway. I'll get a catsup, mustard, or relish Royals jersey.
fire09
AG
One more vote for the two museums already listed. How far along are you in your tour? We hit 16 this year. 3 year hiatus due to covid and kids being born.
Velvet Jones
AG
I still need KC,STL, MIL, WSH, BAL and MIA.

I'll get the Missouri teams next month and Miami in Sept.
fire09
AG
Nice, we are doing Min, Mil, Chc and Chw this weekend.
cr06gis
AG
Love Kauffman. Been to a bunch a games over the years. Last of the concrete era stadiums still standing, but it has a great charm to it.

All my recommendations have already been mentioned. KC is an underrated town.
dabo man
AG
I'm going to check out the Negro Leagues Museum on Thursday. I'm embarrassed that I've lived two hours from it for almost ten years and have never been.

Also going to an indoor gokart/bowling/bumper car place in North KC and probably the zoo. KC has a very nice zoo. Doesn't sound like OP has children in tow, but just in case...
dabo man
AG
Quote:

I have tickets Wednesday night. It's a hot dog-themed jersey giveaway. I'll get a catsup, mustard, or relish Royals jersey.

Successful night despite the Royals loss. Free relish and mustard jerseys, and I'd wanted relish!!

EDIT - And the guy sitting next to us was from Frisco and TAMU '91. I had a good time talking to him.
dabo man
AG
Don't know if you'd slum for pizza, but Minsky's pizza is outstanding. And there are 17 of them in KC Metro, so you'll be close to one. Damn I wish they had a Minsky's in Columbia.
dabo man
AG
Went to the Cards @ Royals tonight. I was in the shade, but it felt like Houston tonight. Was hot and miserably humid with only minimal airflow. Would have been a great night to have access to A/C. Seats with Diamond Club access were going for $74 each at seatgeek this morning, but I'd bought my tickets months ago.

An announced crowd around 27k and a clear majority (including myself) were Cardinals fans. Keep in mind that those awful throwback polyester blues are currently very popular with STL fans.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.