Lineup construction questions

726 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by W
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talking MLB or maybe even high ncaa.

Where should the best hitter bat?
What is important for a leadoff hitter?
What's a bigger priority: keeping 2 really good hitters together or alternating LRLR?
DallasAg 94
I think there are some general guidelines but it mostly comes down to what you have and the role a player can handle.

Leadoff... ideally you have a high OBP with speed. Preferably someone who is patient and takes lots of pitches. You want him on base and able to move around the bases quickly. Should probably lead team in Runs.

3rd - Someone with power and ability to drive the ball. A high BA who may or may not hit lots of HRs. Lots of doubles. Speed is optional. Likely leads team in RBI.

4th - Cleanup. Usually the guy who has power. HR power. He protects the #3 guy. Probably leads team in HRs.

5th - often overlooked. You want someone to protect your #4 guy and make the other team "pay" for pitching around your #4. Can be a mix of power and avg.

Some guys can't handle the pressure of hitting 1-3. Working the count and getting pitches to see how the Pitcher is approaching the game. Some pitchers need a few pitches to settle in. Some hitters need to see a few ABs to adjust to a pitcher.

These days with video and analytics, it is probably less important at the MLB level. Players have seem each other so there is some familiarity.

In high NCAA, you may never see a pitcher multiple times.

High School you are probably seeing every pitcher once.
Taxman90
AG
I just know that pretty much everything I was told about lineup construction in my youth has been turned upside down. I have a hard time grasping putting a 35 HR hitter in the leadoff spot or your best power hitter 2nd even if he is not a contact guy. Pitchers were batting 8th quite a bit until the DH change. Getting more at bats is important so I understand it in part.
W
AG
this is why Adam Dunn should have gotten more Hall of Fame consideration.

he started this quandary 20 years ago...when the Reds couldn't figure out where to put him in the lineup.

lots of power, lots of walks, tons of strikeouts
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.