Willie Mays just turned 92

2,600 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by McInnis
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw this story on a FB group:

Quote:

Willie Mays describing when, as a 17-year-old, faced Satchel Paige for the first time:
"It was 1948. Satchel had a very, very good fastball. But he threw me a little breaking ball, just to see what I could do, and I hit it off the top of the fence. And I got a double. When I got to second, Satchel told the third baseman, 'Let me know when that little boy comes back up.'

Three innings later, I go to kneel down in the on-deck circle, and I hear the third baseman say, 'There he is.' Satch looked at the third baseman, and then he looked at me.

I walk halfway to home plate and he says, 'Little boy.' I say, 'Yes, sir?' because Satch was much older than I am, so I was trying to show respect.

He walked halfway to home plate and said, 'Little boy, I'm not going to trick you. I'm going to throw you three fastballs and you're going to go sit down' and I'm saying in my mind, 'I don't think so.' If he threw me three of the same pitch, I'm going to hit it somewhere.

He threw me two fastballs and I just swung...I swung right through it. And the third ball he threw, and I tell people this all the time, he threw the ball and then he started walking. And he says, 'Go sit down.'

This is while the ball was in the air.

He was just a magnificent pitcher."

~Willie Mays Comes Home
GQ Magazine interview 2010
McInnis
AG
The greatest all around power hitter ever? I think so. Hit 660 home runs, led the NL in steals several years and won the golden glove for the first 12 years after that award was created. A career WAR higher than Ty Cobb.

When I was growing up the two most iconic baseball players by far were Mays and Mantle. But by the numbers Willie had a much greater career.

Say hey!
rausr
AG
Smeghead4761
McInnis said:

The greatest all around power hitter ever? I think so. Hit 660 home runs, led the NL in steals several years and won the golden glove for the first 12 years after that award was created. A career WAR higher than Ty Cobb.

When I was growing up the two most iconic baseball players by far were Mays and Mantle. But by the numbers Willie had a much greater career.

Say hey!
I've speculated (and I'm not the only one) that if Mays hadn't played most of his home games in the cavernous Polo Grounds and windy, nasty Candlestick Park, he would have caught Babe Ruth for career HRs before Hank Aaron, and might have finished with more HRs than Aaron as well.

I've seen an interview where Mays said that he would alter his swing to try to avoid hitting fly balls when it was windy at the 'Stick, and go for liners in the gaps instead.

There was another photo in a different FB group, of Mays and Aaron, in the first game where two players with 600+ career HRs homered in the same game.
McInnis
AG
Don't forget Willie lost nearly two full years to the military early in his career. He gets those and he almost surely would have caught Ruth before Aaron did.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.