Wonky opening week scheduling

945 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ag_07
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm a Giants fan, and the scheduling for my team's first two series - both on the road, both featuring the home opener for the other team - has been a bit weird.

Giants opened the season at the Yankees. Played a game opening night - Thursday, March 30. Then no game Friday (Mar 31), followed by games Saturday and Sunday.

Move on the Chicago. White Sox home opener yesterday, Monday, April 3. No game today, followed by games Wednesday and Thursday.

I kind of get the odd off day in New York - MLB wants everyone to play on Opening Day. If that's a Thursday, and you've got a 3 game series, you're not going to get the traditional, normal Fri-Sat-Sun series. But what's up with having that gap day in Chicago?

I haven't looked at any other teams' schedules Are there any other teams with this kind of oddity in their schedule?
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I think some of it is the new scheduling with every team playing each other through out the year. Also, was mentioned last week that MLB is allowing an open date on the schedule for rain outs/postponed games due to weather.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Ag_07
AG
It's built in weather days

MLB is building in open days for stadiums that may see cold weather early in the year. NY and CHI fit that bill.

They did it with the Astros series this weekend in MIN and sure enough due to cold weather in the 30s they bumped the Thurs to the open day on Fri when it's supposed to jump into the 50s.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.