More of human umpires selling me on the electronic ones

3,476 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by htxag09
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agracer
AG
the box is not lined up, but it's not THAT FAR off!
The Anchor
AG
The camera is off center since it is not dead CF. I bet the box is in the correct spot.
fc2112
Here is one of the best umpiring performances of the season to date - and still not quite as good as an electronic one would be.

CampingAg
AG
I'm fine with human umpires, but get rid of any kind of tenure system and go all performance-based. There's a glut of good umpires in the minors because people like Angel and Laz Diaz get to keep calling games. My finite brain can't understand how a computer is going to correctly call up and down (especially up). If you look at the different K zones, the upper part always seems too low. Sometimes it's at the hitter's belt.
fc2112
CampingAg said:

My finite brain can't understand how a computer is going to correctly call up and down (especially up). If you look at the different K zones, the upper part always seems too low. Sometimes it's at the hitter's belt.
Let me help you. A computer can project a pentagon up into space and then parse it with a plane it sees at the batter's underarms and knees.

If more than 50% of the ball passes through that volume, it's a strike.

There are no "different K zones" - there's just umpires making mistakes.

Mathguy64
AG
If a computer called a zone that high half the players and managers would be ejected across the league in day 1.

You can argue about the rule book definition all day but that's not been a strike in my lifetime, except for the odd occasions where they tried to raise it and then stopped almost immediately.
nereus
AG
fc2112 said:

CampingAg said:

My finite brain can't understand how a computer is going to correctly call up and down (especially up). If you look at the different K zones, the upper part always seems too low. Sometimes it's at the hitter's belt.
Let me help you. A computer can project a pentagon up into space and then parse it with a plane it sees at the batter's underarms and knees.

If more than 50% of the ball passes through that volume, it's a strike.

There are no "different K zones" - there's just umpires making mistakes.

Is that actually how AAA is calling it now? I haven't read all the technical specs for the current season, but that isn't how they were doing it in previous years.

Before they were doing things like setting the top of the zone based on a players full standing height. Things like 56% of the player's height for the top and the bottom at 28% of the player's height (and not paying attention to how they crouch when batting). They were also doing things like only calling the pitch at a 2D plane at the front of the zone as opposed to doing a full 3D zone. They were also calling them strikes if any part of the baseball passes through not if 50% of the ball passes through. They have also experimented with adding additional width to the zone form the actual dimension of the plate.

Maybe they have made some changes as they are constantly tinkering with it but I don't think ABS is currently calling the zone like you are implying.
fc2112
So I just pulled a generic graphic which shows the zone in 3-D (an oversight to what we see on TV which is a 2-D plane) and the text book definition. Too high? Change the rule.

I don't care WHAT the strike zone top and bottom is - just as long as it's the same all the time and a machine to measure it.

I love it - someone asks what the top of the strike zone is - post a picture showing the text book definition of the strike zone - responses are that's too high and so robotic umpiring is bad. Never change TA
fc2112
No, they set the bottom at the knees and the top at some position relative to the players height. Nto sure what they're using this year, but the idea was just to show a 3D image of a strike zone. Set the top wherever you like and get the robot in there.
Mathguy64
AG
Nobody and I mean nobody said robo umps would be bad.

Like you said, you be you TA.
Mathguy64
AG
Seriously. If you want a robo ump system to be used and accepted (and let's ignore the biggest hurdle in the umpire union), setting to call a strike zone by the book which is effectively a foot higher than what has been called for 50 plus years would be the fastest way to having it taken down immediately.
fc2112
Mathguy64 said:

Nobody and I mean nobody said robo umps would be bad.

Like you said, you be you TA.
Not true. There are a lot of guys here saying the issue is the older MLB umps and younger guys just need a chance.

Nope. The younger guys are still not as accurate as a robot.
fc2112
Muchlinski has one of the worst games of the season last night. Missed 17 taken pitches and pretty much cost the Cubs the game.

Corporal Punishment
AG
I don't want robo umps. I've always enjoyed watching how different umps work the game. The human part fascinates me. I'm not interested in watching machines participate in sports. Boring. Yes, I know I'm in the minority.
agracer
AG
From what I've read from writers and heard on the radio, the players aren't as concerned with the strike zone as they are tha5 who ever is behind the plate is consistent all game. Once they figure out where a ball and strike will be called, they're fine.
South Platte
Corporal Punishment said:

I don't want robo umps. I've always enjoyed watching how different umps work the game. The human part fascinates me. I'm not interested in watching machines participate in sports. Boring. Yes, I know I'm in the minority.
Absolutely, yes. It's always been part of the game. I used to love watching the NL umps call a low zone back in the 80's compared to AL umps. Sutcliffe would hammer away at the batters' shins.

Batters need to adjust. They whined about the shift because they wouldn't put in the effort to learn to hit to the opposite field. Judge just hit 62 home runs, the hitters are fine. On the other side, I don't like when pitcher's get squeezed, so I'm good if they call strikes on borderline pitches.
AustinAg2K
I'm starting to come around on robo ump, but I still prefer human. I don't know much about whatever system they will use, but if it is the same as the K zone on TV, then it's about as accurate as humans. There are plenty of times it will show a ball, and then they'll replay it and the ball clearly crossed the back of the plate.

What I would definitely like to see, though, is more accountability for the umps. Coaches and players should not get fined for saying an ump made a bad call after the game. Unless they make a personal attack, players should be allowed to question officiating. Also, I think umps should have to answer questions from the press, especially if there is an ejection.

Also, I think you should be allowed to ask for a review on balls and strikes. You're limited by the amount of reviews, so I don't think it happen much. If you want to use a review on a called ball in a 1-1 count, you should be able to.
htxag09
AG
Cost the Cubs the game yet his overall scorecard was 0.86 runs in favor of the Cubs?

I'm indifferent of the roboump vs. human ump debate. I see the pros & cons of both. I do agree that some umps need to go, though. Quit leaving people around because of seniority or whatever.

Honestly, the amount of college baseball I've watched has just made me appreciate MLB umps. Those umpires are awful. I wish they could do scorecards for them...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.