Will there be a large increase in stolen bases this year?

1,287 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dcaggie04
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With the new rules, I feel like the stolen base will become dramatically more important. The pitch clock will basically allow runners to time their jumps, knowing exactly when a pitcher has to throw. Also, limiting the number of pick off attempts means a runner will able to get a huge lead. I don't know that we will have a Ricky Henderson type guy, but overall I really think that we'll see a lot more attempts, which should make games a lot more exciting. The stolen base has really been missing for the past couple of decades.
AggieNiebs
AG
100% there will be a large increase!
AustinAg2K
So, what happens if a runner takes off and then a delay is called? Does the runner have to go back to first? It seems like pitchers might be willing to trade a stolen base for a ball. Could be interesting to see how that works out.
ColoradoMooseHerd
I think you are right, the right types of players are going to take advantage of the new rules and become very valuable to their teams. But most players are not built to be base stealers anymore. Hopefully this changes the game positively and brings back players like Tim Raines or Will McGee back to being stars.
dcaggie04
AG
AustinAg2K said:

So, what happens if a runner takes off and then a delay is called? Does the runner have to go back to first? It seems like pitchers might be willing to trade a stolen base for a ball. Could be interesting to see how that works out.

I believe pitch clock infractions are dead ball, so they would go back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.