*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,394,364 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
94chem said:

What year did the Rangers win their last 10 games to get the WC? I remember Joe Nathan in a nail-biter in cold rain...

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
fc2112
The parks were huge too. All of the single season triples records are from before about 1910.
94chem
Proposition Joe said:

94chem said:

What year did the Rangers win their last 10 games to get the WC? I remember Joe Nathan in a nail-biter in cold rain...

No, I looked it up. It was 2013. The Rangers won their last 7 in a row, but Cleveland finished one game ahead by winning their last 10 games in a row, against the Astros, Twins, and White Sox (who lost a total of 306 games that season - talk about sequencing!!).

Meanwhile TB won 9 of their last 11, tied the Rangers, and beat them in the play-in game.

My memory wasn't perfect, because I considered that loss to TB as a play-off game, and over the past 10 years I guess I started thinking of it as the Wild Card. 6 in one hand...but when you look up the Rangers play-off history, 2013 is buried because it wasn't officially a playoff season.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Seven Costanza
AG
The one that amazes me is Nolan Ryan. In the modern era, he had a season with 332 innings pitched, including one game with 235 pitches.
Proposition Joe
94chem said:

Proposition Joe said:

94chem said:

No, I looked it up. It was 2013. The Rangers won their last 7 in a row, but Cleveland finished one game ahead by winning their last 10 games in a row, against the Astros, Twins, and White Sox (who lost a total of 306 games that season - talk about sequencing!!).

Meanwhile TB won 9 of their last 11, tied the Rangers, and beat them in the play-in game.

My memory wasn't perfect, because I considered that loss to TB as a play-off game, and over the past 10 years I guess I started thinking of it as the Wild Card. 6 in one hand...but when you look up the Rangers play-off history, 2013 is buried because it wasn't officially a playoff season.

Gotcha. I assumed sarcasm because the one season Rangers did make the wildcard was a year they were 5 games up in the division with 9 to play and went 2-7 down the stretch ending the season a game back and fell back into the wildcard and lost the 1-game-wildcard to Baltimore.

That was the "Josh Hamilton can't see in day games" season.
94chem
I think that's the season where Hamilton was possibly the worst position player in baseball the 2nd half of the season, but his first half was so ridiculous that his overall numbers were pretty good.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
KT 90
AG
Dunning on the hill tonight:

JoCoAg09
AG
Daveintx said:

Mr. Yankee killer (except for the playoffs) Juan Gonzales will be in town tomorrow looks like....

Maybe having him being friendly with the ball club again will help shake some of this curse
I looked it up because I was curious. He was bad in 98/99, but crazy good in 96 against them. 0.438 with a 1.901 OPS, 5 HRs, 9 RBIs.
double aught
AG
rbtexan said:

Absolutely. It was such a different game back then - they played fewer games, travelled less (there were no west coast teams back then), the dead ball, etc. In the 1892 season I mentioned, Bug Holliday of the Reds was the MLB home run leader - with 13. Doubles and triples were much more common - Ed Delahanty of Philly lead the league in 3B's with 21 that year. They played more of a base-to-base game, with a lot of bunting and stolen bases.

Still, the stats Young put up are pretty amazing, and he holds probably the one record in baseball that will never, ever be broken.
  • There's no doubt that travel is easier today thank 100+ years ago, regardless of distance.
  • There are a handful of records that will never be broken. Fernando Tatis holds one of my favorite ones.
  • What a gamble that Cy Young's parents named him after that award. Guess it payed off.

fc2112
double aught said:

• There are a handful of records that will never be broken. Fernando Tatis holds one of my favorite ones.

If you're talking about the two grand slams in one inning, that very well could be broken some day.

When I talk about records never to be broken, you look to something about hos the game has chaged that makes it impossible. Here are the single season triple records:

Rank Player Triples Year
1 Chief Wilson 36 1912
2 Dave Orr 31 1886
Heinie Reitz 31 1894
4 Perry Werden 29 1893
5 Harry Davis 28 1897
Jimmy Williams 28 1899
7 George Davis 27 1893
Sam Thompson 27 1894
9 John Reilly 26 1890
George Treadway 26 1894
Joe Jackson 26 1912
Sam Crawford 26 1914
Kiki Cuyler 26 1925
14 Roger Connor 25 1894
Buck Freeman 25 1899
Sam Crawford 25 1903
Larry Doyle 25 1911
Tom Long 25 1915
19 Ed McKean 24 1893
Ty Cobb 24 1911
Ty Cobb 24 1917
22 Harry Stovey 23 1884
Sam Thompson 23 1887
Elmer Smith 23 1893
Dan Brouthers 23 1894
Nap Lajoie 23 1897
Ty Cobb 23 1912
Sam Crawford 23 1913
Earle Combs 23 1927
Adam Comorosky 23 1930
Dale Mitchell 23 1949
Curtis Granderson 23 2007
rbtexan
S
double aught said:

rbtexan said:

Absolutely. It was such a different game back then - they played fewer games, travelled less (there were no west coast teams back then), the dead ball, etc. In the 1892 season I mentioned, Bug Holliday of the Reds was the MLB home run leader - with 13. Doubles and triples were much more common - Ed Delahanty of Philly lead the league in 3B's with 21 that year. They played more of a base-to-base game, with a lot of bunting and stolen bases.

Still, the stats Young put up are pretty amazing, and he holds probably the one record in baseball that will never, ever be broken.
  • There's no doubt that travel is easier today thank 100+ years ago, regardless of distance.
  • What a gamble that Cy Young's parents named him after that award. Guess it payed off.

I should have clarified that I meant career records, not single game or single season records. Nolan's strikeout record is likely to never be broken as well. Didn't think about it before I typed.

As for the travel, it's easier today from a comfort level certainly, and much faster. In those days however, the teams traveled by train and didn't have to go nearly as far. For example, the 1915 Boston Red Sox longest trip was to St. Louis. The AL teams then were in Washington DC (Senators), Philadelphia (A's), NY, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis (Browns). They scheduled the trips so that the Red Sox would play the teams further to the west in a single road trip to minimize the back & forth. Also, when they went on the road, they stayed on the road a while - they played almost the entire month of May on the road (May 5th-June 2nd), which sounds like a lot, but it made the trips much shorter. NY - Det - Clev - Chicago - StL - Philly - NY before going back to Boston. There were also many more off days - for example, the BoSox played the St. Louis Browns on May 24th and didn't have another game until May 28th. Another road trip that season lasted from July 9th - July 26th.

They scheduled differently and lived much differently back then, so it's hard to compare eras even when you start discussing things like travel and comfort (no air conditioning back then). They were just accustomed to the type of inconveniences that would drive people of our generations insane.
Jimbo Franchione
Proposition Joe
Something Something Seager should see more pitches.

Corey Seager doesn't need hitting advice.
aggietony2010
AG
Seager!!
KT 90
AG
That damn Seager swinging at the first pitch again... Rangers up 1-0

<Just yanking the chain of whoever it was that was pissed at him swinging at too many first pitches the other night>
Proposition Joe
Lot of good wood early giving me a lot of good wood.
DallasAg 94
Hows the crowd?

Energy at the game?
Mr Gigem
AG
Pretty good. Crowd hasn't quite filled in because they are all waiting in line for the last chance theme night giveaway
Proposition Joe
Slump took a lot of the wind out of the attendance sails. Still solid crowds, but just looking at stubhub lower level good seats could be had for relatively cheap (45 bucks or so).

Once school starts and Cowboys get going, it's hard to keep super high demand.
Proposition Joe
We should put up 5 on this kid.
Mr Gigem
AG
Still averaging 31,000 fans per game
Mr Gigem
AG
CARTER!!!
bert harbinson
KT 90
AG
Carter!
bert harbinson
AG
Carter
Proposition Joe
Mr Gigem said:

Still averaging 31,000 fans per game

Yeah didn't mean it as a knock on attendance. We've drawn well this year, but baseball in Texas still takes a major backseat once summer ends and football starts. This is biggest series of the year and it's not a terribly tough ticket.

Nothing we can do about it, it is what it is. Wasn't any different in 2012 coming off two WS appearances.
Proposition Joe
I mean... Garcia doesn't get hurt, Carter likely doesn't get the call up.

Now Garcia healthy, Jung healthy, and Carter producing.

This lineup is worlds different.
double aught
AG
What a moment for the rookie, Carter. Good for him. Baseball is fun.
aggietony2010
AG
So, what has to happen for Carter to be post-season eligible?
TexasAggiesWin
S
I get home, Rangers already up 4-0
Proposition Joe
aggietony2010 said:

I'm not entirely sure. The petition rules the player he replaced must have been on the dl and served the minimum time (and Garcia did serve his 10 days). But I'm not quite sure if they goes out the door if the player injured returns and will also be on the playoff roster. Seems it would go against the spirit of the rule, but I dunno.
KT 90
AG
FYI, Juan Gone did in fact show up tonight:

DallasAg 94
Juan-do show up for the 1st Pitch? Was he welcomed by the fans?!
aggietony2010
AG
Proposition Joe said:

aggietony2010 said:

I'm not entirely sure. The petition rules the player he replaced must have been on the dl and served the minimum time (and Garcia did serve his 10 days). But I'm not quite sure if they goes out the door if the player injured returns and will also be on the playoff roster. Seems it would go against the spirit of the rule, but I dunno.

Asked a friend. Apparently he's almost certainly post-season eligible. He didn't replace Adolis on the 40, he replaced Brad Miller who is on the IL60 and served 60+ days.
Proposition Joe
aggietony2010 said:

Proposition Joe said:

aggietony2010 said:

Asked a friend. Apparently he's almost certainly post-season eligible. He didn't replace Adolis on the 40, he replaced Brad Miller who is on the IL60 and served 60+ days.

B-Rad comes through in the clutch!
MrCoachEricTaylor
Proposition Joe said:

Lot of good wood early giving me a lot of good wood.

Easy there, starting to sound like the Astros thread talking with that vulgarity
First Page Last Page
Page 592 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.