Rules Question - Is this a catch?

2,595 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by J Peterman
LostTexasBoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I help coach my son's 6U T-Ball team and we had a scenario today at practice that had all the coaches and dads perplexed.

A line drive/pop-up was hit to the short stop. He caught the ball but the glove then came off of his hand and fell to the ground. However, the ball was secure in his glove the entire time and never hit the ground.

None of us had ever seen that before and had no idea on what the call would be.
The Milkman
AG
Not a catch. In order to be a catch, the act of "catching the ball" needs to be completed. The glove on the ground with the ball in it doesn't constitute that
LostTexasBoy
AG
Thanks!
Wildmen06
AG
I say if a 6u tball kid actually managed to catch the ball just give him the out.
LostTexasBoy
AG
Wildmen06 said:

I say if a 6u tball kid actually managed to catch the ball just give him the out.

Lol agreed.

But his team/league is actually pretty good. They have several that play on Select teams already which is just crazy to me. We are definitely throwing to bases to get outs. We've turned a few double plays from catching the ball and getting the runners tagged up.
Harry Dunne
Select 6U!

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
A fool and his money amiright
AgRyan04
I was my son's coach when he was in t-ball, just the neighborhood league, and there was a kid who was also on a traveling select ball team.

I started the season with them batting in order of their jersey number and just bumped everyone back one spot each game. Then I had some elaborate formula so each kid played 1B or P, another infield position, an outfield postion, and sat out an inning.

His dad wanted to know why he wasn't playing short stop and leading off. I was happy to let him know it would be in the 6th game of the season.

Carlo4
AG
AgRyan04 said:

I was my son's coach when he was in t-ball, just the neighborhood league, and there was a kid who was also on a traveling select ball team.

I started the season with them batting in order of their jersey number and just bumped everyone back one spot each game. Then I had some elaborate formula so each kid played 1B or P, another infield position, an outfield postion, and sat out an inning.

His dad wanted to know why he wasn't playing short stop and leading off. I was happy to let him know it would be in the 6th game of the season.

My dad called it baseball by communism when we were that little. He coached and made sure everyone had equal play, regardless of ability.

He did the exact same thing you did with batting order. We had 18 kids on the team back in like kindergarten to 3rd grade, so everyone was assigned to someone and you split time 50/50 that game at that position sat out the other half. You moved to a new position the next game, so you experienced all of it.

Parents *****ed and moaned. Guess what.. no one made it past HS ball, and I think only 2 of us even played HS ball. Doesn't matter let the kids have fun!

R-Dog
AG
I thought the ruling in this case is that as long as the ball is intentionally removed from the glove by a fielder...any fielder...that this is still considered an out. I know that is the case if say an outfielder crashes into the wall and is knocked out with the ball in his glove.

But perhaps the glove coming off overrides this...not sure.
Quad Dog
AG
I think it would depend on if the fielder had control of the ball before the glove came off. If they had control, then dropped the glove it might be ruled an out like dropping a ball on the transfer to a throw. If the fielder never had control before dropping the glove, not an out.
J Peterman
AG
Our neighborhood league in Houston is dads pitch for 6U and the commissioners of the league and most coaches are nuts. Same positions each inning, same line up each game, and not unusual for opposing coaches to get into spats in front of the kids. Also, everyone's kid plays summer and select (the select league is banking) and it absolutely ****ing ridiculous. My 5 year old can hit pretty well, but he is no where close with his glove so played right field 3 innings and sat one every game. He was so board so now hates baseball bc he hates right field though he was the top hitter out of the 5 year olds. I am so happy he doesn't want to play summer. He likes to play with his trucks and his race cars and water guns and looks forward to vacation bible school. Also I'm 6'5" 230, if he takes after me not sure the high school coaches will care if he played select at 5. Sorry, rant over, it just gets my blood boiling at how stupid it is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.