Red Sox/Braves game ends in pitch clock violation

5 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gambochaman
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This will be interesting in the regular season.
Ornithopter
AG
If you think it's interesting in the regular season, just wait till the playoffs.
LostTexasBoy
AG
This is absolutely ****ing stupid. I completely get wanting to speed the game up. But this is ruining the game. Suspend the rule in the 9th. Put parameters on how many runs you have to be apart for the suspension to go into effect. But they need to figure out something.
AgBQ-00
AG
I view it as no different than a walkoff balk. The times it happens will be rare especially as more and more pitchers come through the minors with the clock
WoMD
Why did the batter think he had ball 4 when a pitch wasn't thrown? Or am I misunderstanding what happened?

Too many external factors are determining outcomes with these stupid rules.
W
AG
that's actually a good idea.

no pitcher's or hitter's clock in the 9th inning or extras
ClassOf17
WoMD said:

Why did the batter think he had ball 4 when a pitch wasn't thrown? Or am I misunderstanding what happened?

Too many external factors are determining outcomes with these stupid rules.

He thought it was a violation on the pitcher which is an automatic ball. Therefore making it a walk.
lil99chris
AG
I thought the current rule of 'targeting' in college football was bad.

,,,,,,,this is worse.
07ag
AG
https://ts.la/eric59704
Kellso
45-70Ag said:

This will be interesting in the regular season.
I can't believe they called strike 3..........WOW!
Seven Costanza
AG
This is a pretty interesting little article:
Quote:

On April 13, 1984, the Mets played the Cubs at Wrigley Field. The home team won, 11-2. Both teams combined to throw 270 pitches. Both teams combined to allow 27 baserunners, and 74 batters came to the plate. There was exactly one mid-inning pitching change.

On April 17, 2014, the Brewers played the Pirates at PNC Park. The home team won, 11-2. Both teams combined to throw 268 pitches. Both teams combined to allow 27 baserunners, and 75 batters came to the plate. There was exactly one mid-inning pitching change.

The game from 1984 lasted two hours and 31 minutes.

The game from 2014 lasted three hours and six minutes.

Our goal is to figure out where the extra 35 minutes came from.
There were 9 more minutes of commercials in the 2014 game, but the bulk of the difference was the time wasted between pitches.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/mlb-2017-season-preview/game-length
McInnis
AG
Do you think we should all wait a little while before we decide these new rules are going to be bad? I watched the phillies/redsox game on mlb.com today. Both announcers like the new rules and they said most of the players they have talked to do as well, including a couple that they interviewed during the broadcast. One of the announcers did say he is in favor of adding time once the game is in the 9th inning.

To find out where the extra 35 minutes have come from, I suggest somebody figure out when they started making batting gloves so cheap that they had to be adjusted about every 20 or 30 seconds. Maybe the year we started importing them from China? Back in the 60s when games lasted 2 1/2 hours, a lot of players just wore golf gloves. And they didn't have to adjust them after every pitch. Maybe they should go back to that?
gambochaman
AG
Batter knew the rules

Batter broke the rules

Strike called

No issues with it. Love the pitching clock and the early return data of saving an average of 22 mins per game
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.