Cutting the cord- best streaming service to watch the Astros in Houston

6,441 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So the search function here is ****-show but finally cutting the cord- is there a go-to service to stream Astros games? Do I need a different one during the playoffs?
gougler08
AG
Directv Stream works for me, has the AT&T Southwest network for regular season games and covered all networks where the playoffs are. I've had it for a while though and not sure which package you need though...
HarryRocket
Went with fubo last year. Worked.
Farmer1906
AG
HarryRocket said:

Went with fubo last year. Worked.
Except in the playoffs.

My new routine is Fubo from April Sept, Youtube from Oct-March.

Regular Season - AT&T SW plus the occasional MLBTV, Youtube, Apple, ESPN game.
Wild Card - ESPN
DS/CS - Fox, FS1, MLBTV or TBS (alternates years)
WS - Fox
HarryRocket
Fubo was fine in the playoffs, I can't remember exactly but I got a free trial somewhere for the one series that wasn't on fubo.
Nino Brown
I've had all of them. At this point, I'd say if you have a friend or family to split cost with you Directv Stream is the way to go since you can have at least two different households using at same time.

Not sure if Fubo allows you to do this now. Hell, me, my father and my uncle share an account and if they're both on it through Roku or whatever I just hookup my laptop to projector.
TarponChaser
Nino Brown said:

I've had all of them. At this point, I'd say if you have a friend or family to split cost with you Directv Stream is the way to go since you can have at least two different households using at same time.

Not sure if Fubo allows you to do this now. Hell, me, my father and my uncle share an account and if they're both on it through Roku or whatever I just hookup my laptop to projector.

Yeah, trying to sort out which has all of what we want and is the most cost friendly. We've had AT&T Uverse for years and it's good but it's like $230/mo just for the TV package.
BMX Bandit
HarryRocket said:

Fubo was fine in the playoffs, I can't remember exactly but I got a free trial somewhere for the one series that wasn't on fubo.
fubo is not fine in the playoffs. as you said, there are literally games you cannot watch.

Wildmen06
AG
Fubo does not carry the Turner networks (TBS,TNT etc.) so in even years when the AL is on those channels you cant watch the Astros ALDS and ALCS rounds, on odd years you can watch the Astros all the way thru on FS1 and Fox
jah003
S
I just do Fubo for the regular season and find some deal for Sling during the playoffs.

If I can confirm that Fubo can run on 2 TV's at a time I'd split it with you.
TarponChaser
Sounds like DirectTV Stream is the best overall option. A little more expensive than YouTube TV or Fubo but substantially less than we pay for Uverse.
Farmer1906
AG
What's it run to get all the channels you need?
WES2006AG
AG
I am in the same boat with Uverse. For the first time they were unwilling to significantly lower my bill after it went up so I am also looking at Direc TV Stream. Seems like they are willing to give good introductory rates for that but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

What's it run to get all the channels you need?

I think it's going to be about $125/mo vs. almost $230/mo for Uverse right now.
WES2006AG
AG
Is that including internet? My Uverse and internet jumped from about $165 to $240 and I was only able to get them down to $215.
Farmer1906
AG
WES2006AG said:

Is that including internet? My Uverse and internet jumped from about $165 to $240 and I was only able to get them down to $215.

Depending on what internet you have, that's not bad.
WES2006AG
AG
Farmer1906 said:

WES2006AG said:

Depending on what internet you have, that's not bad.
Pretty sure it is 500GB internet. Maybe I just don't have a good perception of the going rate these days and now I feel like my grandparents.
Nino Brown
Hell, we're usually so busy on here chatting about the game during the game that typically miss half of it anyways. Not sure I need any of them lol
Al Bula
AG
jah003 said:

I could have sworn Fubo doesn't allow this. At times in the recent past I tried to stream Fubo at a different home on my account and got notified that there were too many streams going on simultaneously. Heck, just a few months ago I tried to have an Aggie game on two TVs via Fubo indoors and outdoors and it would not allow me to do it.

However, I just turned on Fubo on two TVs in my house for a few minutes and didn't have a problem. I even tried streaming over my wifi and one on my phone via cellular and was able to do it.

I know I am not crazy, I know I had problems with this very recently. Maybe there was another TV in the house going with Fubo on that I dont't remember when I tried from a different location.

In short, two TVs at the same time should be OK in the same house. More than one (or maybe two) from different locations is not OK.

https://support.fubo.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115001440248-How-many-devices-can-I-stream-from-at-the-same-time-
Farmer1906
AG
We had issues on how many TVs across two houses. Even with a family plan, it booted us when a 3rd TV was turned on at one of the two locations.

YoutubeTV seems to work great at multiple locations for us. But then again that ain't Astros.
TarponChaser
WES2006AG said:

Nope. We have the AT&T fiber which is $80/mo
Ihatefallscounty
AG
Fubo....meh

Was upset we couldn't watch the ALCS on FUBO but it worked, FUBO has it's own issues but it worked mostly for us, Wife also wanted it to watch the world cup. Issues we had were with Tmobile home internet being a static IP and thinking my TV was a mobile device.

Definitely upset I couldn't watch NFR this year. That one still burns.
I live in waco....therefore, I am ready to move elsewhere.
JCA1
AG
David Happymountain said:

jah003 said:

I could have sworn Fubo doesn't allow this. At times in the recent past I tried to stream Fubo at a different home on my account and got notified that there were too many streams going on simultaneously. Heck, just a few months ago I tried to have an Aggie game on two TVs via Fubo indoors and outdoors and it would not allow me to do it.

However, I just turned on Fubo on two TVs in my house for a few minutes and didn't have a problem. I even tried streaming over my wifi and one on my phone via cellular and was able to do it.

I know I am not crazy, I know I had problems with this very recently. Maybe there was another TV in the house going with Fubo on that I dont't remember when I tried from a different location.

In short, two TVs at the same time should be OK in the same house. More than one (or maybe two) from different locations is not OK.

https://support.fubo.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115001440248-How-many-devices-can-I-stream-from-at-the-same-time-
I haven't tested it yet, but fubo offers a family plan and an unlimited stream plan (that are both included in many of their packages) which allow you to stream up to 10 devices on your "home base" wifi and also watch on 3 remote devices.
Farmer1906
AG
That's what we tried and it didn't work.
MaxPower
Would need to know what else you watch. If all you care about is the Astros directTV is probably best. If you watch a lot of college football then fubo is better as it has Big Ten, ACC Network, etc. However, you would need to get something else to watch the playoffs whenever we are in TBS or TNT.
BCSWguru
related...is Nord VPN the way to go?
htxag09
AG
We've had UVerse for 11 years and this was the first time they wouldn't budge on price. We were planning on doing fubo but xfinity was around $130/140 for cable and internet so went that route. About the same as a streaming option plus internet. Was definitely worthwhile as we also moved our cell phones over and those dropped from like $200 to $60.
Furlock Bones
AG
This is correct. Fubo for regular season. YouTubetv for playoffs.
45-70Ag
AG
Bally sports, yeah never mind.
Iowaggie
AG
Much could change in coming days/weeks

MLB prepared to take over broadcasts and end blackouts

OKCAg2002
AG
Has anyone here had any luck getting around the blackouts via a VPN on a mobile device? I always had to use my laptop to trick the MLB servers last year. That isn't the most convenient when you're out of the house...

Even when I turned off location services on my iPhone it still "knew" where I was.
AustinCountyAg
I just looked at I was fixing to sign up for fubo today since youtubetv dropped mlbnetwork. Am I reading this right that its $98 a month for the "elite" package which has MLB network and the damn $13 regional sport fee price?

I could've swore last year I was paying like $80 a month or so for all of that with fubo?

ETA: total price of the elite package after tax is $107 per month. Since Fubo new carries Bally sports or whatever its called we now get taxed extra regional sports fee to watch the ****ty rangers.

Sucks these prices keep going up and that options are extremely limited to watch the stros. someone take advantage of the code I posted below and lets save a few bucks together.
OKCAg2002
AG
That is just pure SUCK.
AustinCountyAg
fubo promo code for those who are fixing to sign up

https://refer.fubo.tv/x/v3n08Q
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.