New Ballpark Update - Kansas City

6,732 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by agracer
88Warrior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know I'm in the minority but man I miss our parking lot stadium…Long live the Astrodome!!
fc2112
More and more owners want to control the area around the stadium and gain extra revenue stream by creating the city around the stadium.

That's what the Rangers are doing. Texas Live, Live by Lowes, Lowes Arlington and Convention Center, the new Medal of Honor Museum, Hearsay Arlington. the Arlington Art Museum. As much of a ******* as Tom Hicks was, he sucked up a lot of room around the stadium that the Rangers can now develop.
The Milkman
AG
Ha not sure why I left off MMP.
agracer
AG
dabo man said:

https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/royals-unveil-plans-for-proposed-downtown-ballpark
Royals pick spot for proposed new ballpark
Quote:

On Tuesday at Kauffman Stadium, the Royals presented their plans to build a new ballpark and surrounding entertainment district in the Crossroads District in downtown Kansas City.

"Kansas City is a special place," Royals CEO/chairman John Sherman said. "We have outperformed many of our peers for our care for the heart of our city. Look at the residential growth downtown and the dynamism of the development and redevelopment of the Crossroads. The arts, the music, the food and drink.
Such altruism!!

I don't remember where, but I recently read about the latest generation of ballparks. Maximizing premium seating is old news. Real estate development (i.e. the surrounding land) is the new "it" feature owners want in their parks. I'm sure the downtown ballpark will be nice, but it's just extra miles and extra traffic as far as I'm concerned.

Kauffman is hopelessly dated, but I love it. It's seven miles my side of downtown (almost in Independence), right off I-70, and not having to deal with downtown traffic is wonderful. Surrounding the two stadiums (Arrowhead and the K) is a huge sea of parking. It's beautiful!!

Kauffman is small but loaded with good seats. I will miss it.
Me too. I watched the Royals as a kid in the early 70's when it was Royals Stadium and brand new. It is still a very nice stadium, even considering it's age. The seats and rails are all set up to angle towards the infield. It's a PITA if something breaks b/c nothing is standard. They have to custom fab stuff to fix a row of seats if needed.

I could leave my house at 6:30PM and be in my seats in time for a 7:10 First Pitch.
NFW that will happen if it's downtown. Parking is not going to be fun either. It already is not great with the T-Mobile center. I cant' imagine what it will be like trying to get in if there are events at both T-Mobile and the new ballpark the same night.

Our company Christmas party was downtown last December. Fortunately, I got there early b/c we booked a hotel for the night, but some co-workers said they sat on I-35 or I-70 for 45+ minutes trying to get to the convention center area and park.

Originally the plans I saw had it in East Village, which would have been great b/c it was a short walk from my wife's office and parking lot. Now it's in crossroads. I just don't see myself going to to many games b/c the in/out is just going to suck, A LOT!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.