Judge should be -- and is -- AL MVP

5,509 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MAT
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Right. That's kind of my point. They basically treat it as different players. He gets a pitching WAR, yes. But put that to the side for a minute and look at his hitting WAR. He loses points on the defensive side, as in actually gets negative points for being a DH, because they think that means he's a bad fielder and taking a roster spot. When in reality that's not the case at all.

Or at least that's my understanding of it.
NorCal
ScapeGOAT said:

Take Judge off the Yankees and add Shohei, and they still finish 2nd in the AL and win the East.

Take Shohei off the Angels and give them Judge, and the Angels still finish 3rd (maybe even 4th) in the West, and the Angels lose a top 5 Pitcher in the AL.

The Yankees do not win the AL East without Judge. They're at best 3rd in the AL East behind Toronto and Tampa Bay. Their line-up the second half of the season was inept except for Judge. They only started hitting decent again the last 2 weeks.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Ohtani is more valuable than the numbers show because he's basically a $30 million pitcher and a $30 million hitter. If he's being paid $30 million, then the owners could go use that extra $30 million on another top notch player. Can't say that about any other player in the MLB.

If Ohtani starts making $50-60 million per year, then that argument goes away.

The argument works with him making $30 million. But I think he only made 5-7 million this year. So it's even more drastic.
wbt5845
AG
MVP has become "best player of the playoff teams" in order to boost TV for the playoffs.
htxag09
AG
wbt5845 said:

MVP has become "best player of the playoff teams" in order to boost TV for the playoffs.

Uh about half of the last 9ish years of MVP's have gone to Angels players
NTAS
mavsfan4ever said:

Ohtani is more valuable than the numbers show because he's basically a $30 million pitcher and a $30 million hitter. If he's being paid $30 million, then the owners could go use that extra $30 million on another top notch player. Can't say that about any other player in the MLB.

The argument works with him making $30 million. But I think he only made 5-7 million this year. So it's even more drastic.
it is amazing you can get so much value out of Ohtani and still screw up the rest of your roster so bad that you are not competitive.
TarponChaser
Bit of a tangent but I wonder if Ohtani had been raised in the USA and come through baseball here if they would have let him keep pitching and hitting? Judge was a stud pitcher throwing in the low 90's in HS who could have developed into an upper-90's guy.

Sure, Ohtani is a freak but most MLB players are as well. Look at a guy like Zach Greinke- for all his weirdness he's been an elite athlete who pitches. Plenty of folks in baseball say he could have been an all star at SS and if was allowed to hit as much as he wanted he could have been an elite hitter too.

How many other guys are like that but forced to focus on pitching or being a position player/hitter?
Goodson
S
astros4545 said:

K

Go back to New York and **** da Yankees

Astros sons gonna be grounded again
You'll never find a person "farther" from New York that me. From where I was born and raised to how I think and live.
Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
TarponChaser
Goodson said:

astros4545 said:

K

You'll never find a person "farther" from New York that me. From where I was born and raised to how I think and live.

Sounds like something a yankee spy would say…
Faustus
I think Judge deserves it, which is good because I want him to have it. The Yankees are going through feel forced to pony up, and the more he costs them the better.
Goodson
S
TarponChaser said:

Goodson said:

astros4545 said:

K

And you would be wrong ... again.
Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
TarponChaser
Goodson said:

TarponChaser said:

Goodson said:

astros4545 said:

K

Your defense is less than compelling.
Ihatefallscounty
AG
Goodson said:

Aaron Judge is and rightfully should be the American League's Most Valuable Player.

Shohei Ohtani is and rightfully should be the American League's Player of the Year -- if such an award existed.

Without Judge's contributions, the Yankees wouldn't have finished with one of the AL's two best records.

With Ohtani, the Angels finished 33 games behind the team that won their division and only 13 games better than their last place team.

Point being this: "Valuable" should be marked by a clear, quantifiable contribution that moves a person or team toward being the best in their respective arena/field of competition.

One cannot argue with the "once in a generation" skills Ohtani displayed this year. But their value to moving his team toward the top? Not so much. And if you removed his contributions to the Angels? They would have still finished near the bottom portion of the AL West standings.

So, proportionally, they produced less value to the Angels than Judge's did for the Yankees.
Your basing the value off how the team does, and not how much money Manfred makes off of them. It's way closer in that regard.
I live in waco....therefore, I am ready to move elsewhere.
Goodson
S
TarponChaser said:

Goodson said:

TarponChaser said:

Goodson said:

astros4545 said:

K

Your defense is less than compelling.
And your inference and insinuation even less compelling ... or accurate.
dixichkn
AG
He better HOPE it's a regular season award. 0-8 with 7 K's. Doing his usual bang up job in the playoffs
AustinAg2K
I wonder if the chase for 62 ruined his swing. I've heard guys say the HR Derby screwed their swing up. Whatever it was, he really sucked in the playoffs.
carl spacklers hat
Elite pitching. Judge can feast against average or worse pitching but when he's facing top tier, he struggles. Some AL MVP there.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
W
AG
you know not to take anything away from Judge's 62 home runs...

but did he hit most of them off AAA call-ups and last-guy-in-the-bullpen types?
BCSWguru
just imagine how many more HR's he'd have if he played the Pirates and Tigers more.
HTownAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I'm 57 and have never seen a player like Ohtani............most likely will not see another in my lifetime.
MAT
AG
Maybe Judge will sign with the Astros and provide valuable backup to Chaz.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.